Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal? Empty
PostSubject: What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal?   What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 1:07 pm

Take it seriously.
Myth: “The people who talk about it don't do it.” Studies have found that more than 75% of all completed suicides did things in the few weeks or months prior to their deaths to indicate to others that they were in deep despair. Anyone expressing suicidal feelings needs immediate attention.

Myth: “Anyone who tries to kill himself has got to be crazy.” Perhaps 10% of all suicidal people are psychotic or have delusional beliefs about reality. Most suicidal people suffer from the recognized mental illness of depression; but many depressed people adequately manage their daily affairs. The absence of “craziness” does not mean the absence of suicide risk.

“Those problems weren't enough to commit suicide over,” is often said by people who knew a completed suicide. You cannot assume that because you feel something is not worth being suicidal about, that the person you are with feels the same way. It is not how bad the problem is, but how badly it's hurting the person who has it.

http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/whattodo.htm
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal?   What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 9:28 pm

I use to have a distant friend that always talked about suicide, At first it scared the beegees out of me and I tried to help in every way I could, I was told later that this gal said she was going to kill herself every time something went wrong, she was only 17 at the time. I had to pull away at that point I suggested she get help, offered to go with her to do what ever it took. Well that was 35 years ago and she's still alive and still talking the same.
I know of course that she is one of those that was looking for the attention, I also know there are many out there that will carry through with their threats, It's a sad problem because once it's done there is no turning back.
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal?   What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 9:46 pm

Well im raseing my hand because im one of those who suffer from sever depression. I have been hospitalised because of my suiside thoughts. There are times however when life really gets to me and I belive I could..
Thing is really, I have lost friends to suiside. My best friend killed herself almost 2 years ago from an od...
it was the emptyness I felt from her leaving this world that has opened my eyes to the other side of depression...
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal?   What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 9:54 am

I remind myself every day that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem...and every problem I face is temporary.
Yeah - it's a tough road out there, no doubt. But you'll see the path is clear. That's because countless others have been there before you. Countless others are coming up behind you. You are never alone.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal?   What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What can I do to help someone who may be suicidal?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Grab Bag :: How you can help those in need-
Jump to: