Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’ Empty
PostSubject: Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’   Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’ Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 8:19 pm

Finally someone says it like it is!:
Signs are evident that show no longer delivers on winners or promises

Kevork Djansezian / AP file
It’s been awhile since ‘American Idol’ has actually given viewers a real idol. Season five winner Taylor Hicks was recently dropped by his record label. Last season's winner, Jordin Sparks, had the lowest first-week album sales of any winner.
View related photos

INTERACTIVE

Simon says
'The look, it was like something out of the Addams Family.' Great 'American Idol' quotes from the King of Cruel, Simon Cowell.

Message board

Sound off on latest singers, events, Simon comments

Archive

AP
Everything about 'Idol'
From slide shows, quizzes, back stories, quotes and more

COMMENTARY
By Andy Dehnart
MSNBC contributor
updated 9:23 a.m. ET, Thurs., Jan. 10, 2008
Quick: Think about last year's "American Idol." What pops into your mind? Chances are it was a kid named Sanjaya. He's since been forgotten, but stands as a symbol for the entire sixth season, which is noteworthy for its lack of noteworthiness.

That was not Sanjaya's fault, but his fame, popularity and memorability heralds "American Idol’s" new reality: The show has reached its peak.

The signs are everywhere. Ratings for "American Idol 6" were down (20 percent for the finale alone); RCA Records recently dropped two "Idol" winners, Ruben Studdard and Taylor Hicks, and one runner-up, Katharine McPhee, from its roster; and the show has been cloned relentlessly and those clones fail, even one created by the same producers ("The Next Great American Band").

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22559320/

I agree with it all EXCEPT"
It’s been awhile since ‘American Idol’ has actually given viewers a real idol
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
Angie
Administrator
Angie

Female
Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’   Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’ Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 8:43 pm

I agree with you Jodie.

When I think of last season I think about Blake and Sanjaya. I can't remember half of the top 12.

But...take me back to season 5 and I can name at least the Top 10, maybe top 12...

I've watched since Season 3 and Season 5 is the only season that sticks out in my mind. It's not only becuase of Taylor either. There was so much great talent that year.

I'm sure they will get big ratings this year because of the writer's strike and the fact that there is absolutely nothing to watch on tv except reruns and reality shows.

I"ll be obsessed with the show no matter what. Doesn't mean I'll vote. I only rabidly voted for Taylor. I occasionally voted for Blake last year. Just 'cuase I want someone to win doesn't mean I want to spent two hours on the phone voting. They need internet voting LOl That would really screw things up huh? LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.Idol-Unofficial.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’   Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’ Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 10:50 pm

I also agree Jodi
Season 5 was the master for American Idol, I do believe that and I'm sure the show will be watched this season as well but we won't know if they are watching because of the talent or because of the writers strike. To me Taylor is the best thing to come out of Idol, he's my one and only,

As far as naming the idols from last season I could name a few but season 5 I can tell you all top 12 plus most of the top 24 , how sad is that? I did like Patrick Hall a lot too and thought he went way to early. But oh well we still have Taylor...
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’   Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:37 am

I agree completely. If I am not entertained by something, with the insanity that is my life, trust me when I say I won't watch it. I have waaaaay too much stuff going on to waste time. I admit, watching AI5 was highly entertaining for ALL the talent, Tay in specific. And I wonder how much longer the show will last, if they keep pulling stunts like they have lately. The strike is a blessing for them, most assuredly. Guess we just have to wait and see.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’   Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:55 am

I'm sure their numbers will be up this year viewer wise but we'll never know for sure what their voting numbers are because I do no think they'd be completely honest in telling us that the voting numbers have dropped from last season. I tried to remember the numbers from season 5 compared to season 6 but don't remember season 6. I don't think they were up by any means but would they tell us that as a fact??
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’   Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 am

:sad: I find it kind of sad that a show like this is taking such a beating because after all we have had some amazing talent come out of it such as Clay Aiken, Kelly Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Carrie Underwood, Bo Bice, Elliott Yamin and of course our wonderful Taylor. Though I am not a fan even Chris Daughtry has made his mark.

Last season there are favorites of mine such as Melinda Doolittle, Lakisha Jones, Phil Stacey, Chris Sligh and at times I enjoyed the performances of Blake, Jordin, Chris Richardson and even Haley Scarnato. I was never into Gina Glocksen and except for one performance not into Stephanie. Sanjaya was cute but as a singer left me cold.

I think the problem last season was not that talent was not there but that season 5 had such a wide variety of talent and was so good even with the mentors. So many stood out on their own whereas season 6 came off as mediocre and I think the main reason was because so much emphasis was on Sanjaya rather than the rest of the talent on the show. Also the finale was totally horrible in my book. Another factor could also be the choice of songs because people are getting tired of hearing the same ones over and over. I thought Bon Jovi week was awesome but some of the other mentors were okay but not outstanding and left little impact even though they are great in their own careers (Gwen Stefani, J-Lo, Barry Gibb, etc).

Will this coming season bring us greatness like Season 5, well time will tell but if the rumors are true that many are professionals who make it to the top 24, the show will once again lose it's edge because this show is suppose to be about discovering new talent. Also now that so many "idols" are being dropped from the Davis group I think this has left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths and they will not watch because of this.

Needless to say I will be watching but I do not think the show will ever achieve the greatness it did on Season 5. In my mind Taylor is and always will be the best of all the idols who have taken the title in spite of what sales are dictating. Not to say I do not have other favorites but for me Taylor was the ultimate! Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’ 322546
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’   Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’ Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:09 am

I agree concertcris, Season 5 will be hard to top and I don't think they like that at all. IT's been the most talked about season sense it got over, But instead of embrasing that and running with it they chose to turn their back on not only the winner but the runner up as well and they also chose to tell the american people that they got it wrong in that season, Thanks Nygle. I don't think we as the American public got it wrong and being told we did was a slap in the face, I also think they think they are secure in their airing and that nothing can hurt them. But how long are voters going to keep voting if they tell us we got it wrong. It was sad that last season they didn't even have Kat on the show, can you imagaine what that did to her? That was so wrong in my opinon, she was not my favorite by any means but fair is fair, they had Kellie, Elliott, Chris, Fantasia, etc but no Kat, I don't look for Taylor, Kat or Ruben to be asked back this season and the way Blakes sales and even Jordins are going, they might not be asked back either,
I think the show simply got to big for it's own britches.
They have brought out some amazing talent, I love Bo, and Ellliott as well and of course Kelly, Kellie, Carrie, and even Chris. but when they stop being fair that is not good...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’   Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nowhere to go but down for false ‘Idol’
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Reality Music shows :: American Idol-
Jump to: