Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Empty
PostSubject: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 12:19 am

:welcome1: Hello gang. I have been on the internet quite a bit this evening wondering how others would like this theme show. Boy the boards are alive and kicking so to speak. Before I get to the actual show, let me say I was not overly thrilled with the song choices not because I do not like the songs I do but more because with the huge list they had to pick from I kind of expected different choices to really show-off the contestants strengths. Now, on to the show.

🍌 Ryan opens the show by saying one of these people will be your next American Idol. Three of them have already been number #1 in the votes. The competition is closer than ever but you must vote. This is American Idol. Next we have Ryan looking oh so good in his suit introduce our judges and then the contestants. You can actually feel the excitement from the audience I thought.

cheers Next we see clips of how Alan "Moon Dog" Freed basically started the influence of what we call "rock & roll". In 1951, Ike Turner recorded at the Sun Studios (yea, I have been there) for his song "Rocket 88". There was no stopping the rock revolution and in 1983 the founder of Atlantic Records (sorry I missed the name) established the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame with one of the first inductees, Elvis Presley (my all-time favorite artist). Long live rock and roll and I could not agree more!

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 322546 Here I would like to say it was great seeing Carly Smithson as well as Rascal Flatts in the audience tonight. While I am not even into country I really like Rascal Flatts a lot. Now for the performances.

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 833804 David Cook is up first and is performing the song "Hungry Like A Wolf" by Duran Duran which was released as a single in 1982. The interesting thing about this song was it was Duran Duran's first top 10 hit and peaked at #3 on the U.S. charts. David is singing the song straight with a raspier tone. I thought it was good but not great and why oh why did he pick this one to do? Randy thought it was okay, Paula was hungry for more and our Simon thought it was good but kind of copycat. My grade: B

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 295441 Tonight looking hot in her outfit, Syesha Mercado is doing Tina Turner's signature song "Proud Mary". Actually this song was first released by the Creedence Clearwater Revival on their 1969 album "Bayou Country". The lead singer of this group was John Fogerty who actually wrote this song. In 1971, Ike and Tina Turner did a cover of the song and it peaked at #4 on the pop charts. I personally thought Syesha did very well with this number. She was sexy as all get out in the beginning and only used a couple of Tina's moves. Randy thought it was very nice, Paula felt like magic happened and Simon gives it a downer by saying it was a screechy bad version of the original. Not hardly Simon! I liked it. My grade: B+

😕 Jason Castro is singing a song originally written by Bob Marley but made more famous by Eric Clapton. The song "I Shot The Sheriff" was on the Bob Marley album "Burnin" in 1973. In 1974 Clapton carried this song to #1 on the charts. If anyone could say a bad karaoke version was done with this song it would definitely have Jason written all over it. In fact Randy does mention that it was karaoke and not good. Paula was not crazy about the performance or the song choice. Simon flat out called it atrocious and I so agree. Simon asks Jason what was he thinking and he retorts back he was thinking Bob Marley. I would say Bob would be cringing over this rendition. My grade: C-

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 79527 Our kid David Archuleta receives well deserved high praise from the judges for his rendition of the song "Stand By Me". This song was a classic that was written by Ben E. King and the writing team of Lieber & Stoller. It was intended for the group The Drifters but since they did not want to record it, Ben released it as a single in 1961 and it peaked on the charts at #4. Later due to the title of the movie of the same name it once again hit the charts peaking at #9 in 1986. I thought young David was feeling the lyrics as he sang this song and liked how he added that line "beautiful girls". The audience loved it and so did I. My grade: A+

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 924272 David Cook has for his second song "Baba O'Reilly" however more people recognized this Who classic as "Teenage Wasteland". This is actually one of my top favorites by the Who which first appeared on their 1971 album "Who's Next" and was written by Pete Townsend. Playing the guitar and doing a slower opening version to the song, David does show his rock-edge. He builds the cresendo but in really I thought this song was too short to get a good grip on this particular arrangement which I really did not care for. Randy thought it was great overall, Paula wants more and Simon simply says Welcome back. My grade: B

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 201170 Syesha's second song is the classic " A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke. (Oh the memories of Taylor singing this during his audition) This 1964 single release was a huge part of the Civil Rights movement as mentioned by Syesha. Sadly Sam did not get to see the full impact as he was killed in December of 1964. The song itself reached the charts in 1965 and peaked at #9. I felt the emotion that Syesha was trying to bring to the song although I did think some of her notes were pitchy in parts. That first big note was awesome though. I did not think it was as bad as Randy said. Paula and Simon were in full agreement that it was a superstar performance. The emotions ran high as Syesha breaks down in tears. I will only add that she looked so beautiful in her dress. My grade: B

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 957205 Doing the Bob Dylan classic "Mr Tambourine Man", Jason starts out pretty good with this one. I actually thought this song choice was perfect for him although the song was also a hit for The Byrds in 1965 peaking in the #1 spot of the charts. Then what happens, he forgets some of the lyrics. I know others have said that both Brooke and David A also have done this however at this point in the show as mentioned by Randy this was a big no-no. After all he is in the top 4. Paula tried to be nice but she also did not care for it. Simon added he should pack his suitcase. If Jason does not go home after this blunder I would say the voting public are really out of their minds. My grade: D

🎶 I have to once again give it up for young David Archuleta who sings Elvis Presley's "Love Me Tender". With only the piano playing, he gives a tender rendition to this classic. It was so heartfelt I could feel the tears well up in my eyes. Randy loved it, Paula called it beautiful and Simon adds he crushed the competition on this night. Trivia time: This song was first performed on the Ed Sullivan show in September of 1956. The next day RCA received over 1 million advance orders for this song. Once released it peaked at #1 and spent 5 weeks in a row at that position. I truly feel David did Elvis proud. My grade: A

bow Okay, I guess you know my vote to leave the show is Jason Castro. While many may not care for the other contestants performances tonight, they were definitely better than Jason at this point of the competition. I now bow down to your thoughts and wish you a good night.
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 11:09 am

what did we learn on rock and roll hall of fame night???

David Cook isn't a real rocker;
Jason needs to pack a suitcase;
David A is no Elvis, and inspite of what Simon thinks and says he DIDN'T crush the competition.
and from Syesha we learn a woman ROCKS the season.

bottom two - David Cook and Jason - Jason going home
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 11:27 am

and what did we learn two years ago at this time in AI history on Elvis' night???

If Kat, Chris and Elliott wants to sing Elvis they need to be in a sound proof room and they nearest microphone needs to be atleast a mile from them.

And what did we learn about Taylor Hicks?? The Soul Boy Rocks and sings better then Elvis!!!!!!!!!
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 600701 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 924272 :rockon:
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 11:37 am

:D Mae, thanks for posting. I do have to address your posting about Elvis versus Taylor however. I do not for one minute think Taylor sings better than Elvis and his continuing legacy certainly proves that. I will say however that Taylor has indeed shown he is in that class of brillance when it comes to being an exceptional singer and entertainer. Both of these gents have different stylings so it is really not a good ideal to compare the two. Both are awesome in my book!
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Jason, the poor kid, made m flesh crawl last night. He so needs to go home. I thought the others did very credibly.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 9:50 pm

oK Here I am the only Jason fan on this board ha.. I know this and it's fine I guess I do like supporting the one that I know not to many do at the time. ha ha..

David C-I thought personally that he did a better job with the "Hungry Like A Wolf" song than the second one, I do not think that David C is the kind of Rocker that would rock in that sense, He reminds me more of the Bo kind than the Chris D kind. But he does have a good voice or kind of anyway and we all know how popular Rock is right now, I did not think for a sec that he'd be in the bottom 2.

Syesha,- I didn't care for either one of her songs and thought she was a bit out of place, But I also think she can sing and does have a power house voice but as Simon would say I don't see her as a stand alone performer, I really don't know why, just doesn't strike me as a "singer" in that way, BUT I do believe this gal could make millions as a actress, but I think I've said that before about her haven't I?

Jason- Poor Jason, I do like this kid but he so out of his league right now.. I did not like the first song one bit, it reminds me of that guy in season 5 that sang just the course of "Who Shot The Sheriff" over and over and over remember that. Anyway after that I can not hear that song and thought Jason did not do a good job with it at all, BAD CHOICE OF SONG..
His second one I liked better and even though he did forget a few of the words it's not like that is anything new this season, And I agree CC that at this point of the show it should not have happened but isn't EVERY WEEK that week of the show that it shoudl be done flawless, Letting David and Brooke off the hook and nailing Jason for the same thing was so not fair. IMO..I thought Randy was very unfair to him in his opinion and Simon's Pack You Bags, really kind of teed me off, Simon is not voting and he has no way a reason to say that to anyone. In my opinon. I admit Jason did not do good but he tried his best and that's good enough for me..

Daivd A- I know this kid has a HUGH fan base and he'll more than likely win this season but honestly I'm really tired of his blushing ways and his so innocent acting. I didn't like either of his songs and I agree with Mae, I don't think he crushed the others in anyway, I've read that the "Love Me Tender" version was not Elvis's but I still didn't like it, My biggest fear for David is that the record lables are going to eat him alive once this season is over, We all know what they do to these kids by making them sing songs that are not their first choice to do, what will David do and he's so young and he can sing but I just think the kid will be eaten alive..

So not the best top 4 show I've seen, but then I think that goes to season 5 of course ha..
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 9:52 pm

mae, I have to agree with CC, there has never been nor will there ever be anyone that can come close to Elvis, he was one of a kind and as much as so many like to think that Taylor is Elvis's double, it just isn't so. I see some things he sings as very close but not close enough, I love Taylor and I LOVED Elvis and each are there own person and nothing nor nonone will ever be as good as either of them in their own way. again JMO
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Elvis is one of a kind - however when God made Taylor he broke the mold - Original with a capitol O.

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 600701
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 10:25 pm

wietzema wrote:
oK Here I am the only Jason fan on this board ha.. I know this and it's fine I guess I do like supporting the one that I know not to many do at the time. ha ha..

David C-I thought personally that he did a better job with the "Hungry Like A Wolf" song than the second one, I do not think that David C is the kind of Rocker that would rock in that sense, He reminds me more of the Bo kind than the Chris D kind. But he does have a good voice or kind of anyway and we all know how popular Rock is right now, I did not think for a sec that he'd be in the bottom 2.

Syesha,- I didn't care for either one of her songs and thought she was a bit out of place, But I also think she can sing and does have a power house voice but as Simon would say I don't see her as a stand alone performer, I really don't know why, just doesn't strike me as a "singer" in that way, BUT I do believe this gal could make millions as a actress, but I think I've said that before about her haven't I?

Jason- Poor Jason, I do like this kid but he so out of his league right now.. I did not like the first song one bit, it reminds me of that guy in season 5 that sang just the course of "Who Shot The Sheriff" over and over and over remember that. Anyway after that I can not hear that song and thought Jason did not do a good job with it at all, BAD CHOICE OF SONG..
His second one I liked better and even though he did forget a few of the words it's not like that is anything new this season, And I agree CC that at this point of the show it should not have happened but isn't EVERY WEEK that week of the show that it shoudl be done flawless, Letting David and Brooke off the hook and nailing Jason for the same thing was so not fair. IMO..I thought Randy was very unfair to him in his opinion and Simon's Pack You Bags, really kind of teed me off, Simon is not voting and he has no way a reason to say that to anyone. In my opinon. I admit Jason did not do good but he tried his best and that's good enough for me..

Daivd A- I know this kid has a HUGH fan base and he'll more than likely win this season but honestly I'm really tired of his blushing ways and his so innocent acting. I didn't like either of his songs and I agree with Mae, I don't think he crushed the others in anyway, I've read that the "Love Me Tender" version was not Elvis's but I still didn't like it, My biggest fear for David is that the record lables are going to eat him alive once this season is over, We all know what they do to these kids by making them sing songs that are not their first choice to do, what will David do and he's so young and he can sing but I just think the kid will be eaten alive..

So not the best top 4 show I've seen, but then I think that goes to season 5 of course ha..

Actually if you notice in the ??s about the top 4 section in here - i said Jason should be in the finale. I don't know if i am a fan, however i like him better then the Davids. I know that isn't saying much since i'm the one that would trade out atleast 21 of the 24 top contestants this season. However after Tuesday i didn't think he deserve to be. How do you slaughter an already bad song??? I don't know either, however Jason manage to do it.
I am refering to I Shot the Sheriff. Forgetting the lyrics - in his 2nd song was just the peak of the iceberg of two hideous performances. Really i think he should have devoloped his craft a lot more then he did, before he even tryed for idol. He is really green and it really shows. That isn't to say that he isn't a good singer, cause he is ; or is that isn't to say he isn't talented cause he is; however even Jason admits that he is inexperience in this area.
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 10:33 pm

Mae, I agree that Taylor is also one of a kind I've never seen anyone like him or heard anyone like him. Honestly I heard "You Are So Beautiful" today on the radio and I honestly thought it was Taylor singing it, but about half way through the song the lyric's were a little off so I knew it wasn't him but WOW it sure sounded like him and I know why Randy picked that song for him to sing. No One will ever be like Taylor but than I'm sure others have said that about their favorites as well but it just so happens that with Taylor it's true 🆒
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 10:37 pm

I agree with some of what you said BUT!!! This show is suppose to be about finding the BEST UNDISCOVERED TALENT, Something that this season has really been thrown aside, I do think Jason is talented he does have a nice voice but no, I didn't think he was the best I still think David Hernandez was the best.. But then that's me. I do like his (Jason) personality though, he's seems very funny and able to laugh at himself and that says a lot.
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 10:51 pm

my favorites didn't even make it to the top 24 and one didn't even get a ticket to hollywood - :blue:

this season really sucks - big time

Maybe Syesha sound good to me cause rest of the season was so hideous.
I don't think so though. Tears welled up in my eyes when she sung - a change is gonna come. It was so beautiful and really touch me.
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 11:32 pm

Oh Syesha is good Please don't get me wrong on that, I just think that she'd do better as an actress because she's beautiful (except I don't like her hair do) and she can sing, I just think that thrown in with the BIG names that seem to be so popular these days she won't go far is all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08   Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame - Top 4 - 5/6/08
Page 1 of 1