Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Empty
PostSubject: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 10:24 pm

CHECK THIS OUT....

Here's the article in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/16/arts/16a...r=1&oref=slogin

Posted by Mary Colurso -- Birmingham News May 15, 2008 5:00 AM

Taylor Hicks will make his Broadway debut on June 6, playing Teen Angel in "Grease" at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre.

Taylor Hicks said being in New York for three months will allow him to continue working on his next CD. He's been writing songs and recording demos in Nashville, Hicks said, and hopes to release a new single in the fall. The Hoover native and former "American Idol" winner, 31, will perform in the musical through Sept. 7. Hicks plans to announce his Broadway run on television this morning, on NBC's "The Today Show."

"I'm honored for the opportunity to experience Broadway," Hicks said Thursday. "I feel blessed and excited."

He'll appear in one number in the musical, singing "Beauty School Dropout." That's traditional for his character, a hip guardian angel who makes a showy appearance in Act II, offering advice to a teen named Frenchy.

"This particular part, Teen Angel, really allows me to put my toe in the water and test the waters," Hicks said. "I've always been a little over the top, so this is perfect for me."

If he does well on stage and draws audiences, Hicks said, he'll probably look for another, larger role on Broadway.

Meantime, he's been listening to "Beauty School Dropout" and meeting with the "Grease" team to create his niche in the musical.

"It's a cool song," Hicks said. "I can see myself being able to Taylorize it. Who knows? Maybe I'll do the Elvis meets Aretha Franklin meets Joe Cocker version of 'Beauty School Dropout.' I don't think anybody's taken that approach yet. I'll get with the producers and sink my teeth into the role."

Hicks said he's never seen a theater production of "Grease," but has watched the 1978 movie version, which starred John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John as lovelorn 1950s high-schoolers. In the film, Frankie Avalon played the Teen Angel.

On stage, the character has been portrayed by singers ranging from Chubby Checker to Al Jarreau to Jennifer Holliday.

"Grease" made its first appearance on Broadway in 1972, had a long run and was revived in 1994. The show has been produced in London over the years, as well, and national touring casts have traveled throughout the United States.

The current Broadway production, which opened in August 2007, stars Max Crumm and Laura Osnes, who won their parts on the TV reality series "Grease: You're the One That I Want."

Hicks is likely to be the most recognizable name in the cast, despite his relatively small part. Teen Angel tends to be a flamboyant force in the show, typically wearing a large, fluffy set of wings.

Will Hicks continue that costume tradition? "I might," he said. "I might be flying, too."
Back to top Go down
Possumrider
Possumrider

Female
Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2007-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 10:51 pm

Damn...you beat me by just a few minute LOL

I don't know..................man's gotta get some recognition and, personally, I don't think it's a bad gig. Opening doors, baby......opening doors
Back to top Go down
http://giveme-abreak.spaces.live.com/
Possumrider
Possumrider

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 10:52 pm

oh as for the flying part.................I plead the 5th
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:02 pm

I still would love to see it. Since im such a big fan of grease and Tay!!
Mainly I watched it when I was younger... (aye I saw it three times in the theater) Im old...
Anyway..............
I was also hooked on Jocko from Sha-Na_na (the drummer)
weird how I can be so guy crazy and yet im with a woman.. hell I cant fig me out either. Now I have a headache..lol
HUGS
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:04 pm

I'm happy for him. I sure wish I lived in NY now ha ha I heard he's going to be on NBC news tomrrow morning but not sure if it mean today or tomorrow so not going to take any chances going to tape the news all of it, first time for everything right?? Oh can't wait for him to get this kind of recongition, it's all good right??
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:09 pm

I dunno he is playing a farie? lol
Back to top Go down
Possumrider
Possumrider

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:16 pm

Damn...why do my post get lost in post hold hell..............OK..............again............Jodi or Jodie (Black Label Tequila impeeds my spelling ability). I can only say that Tay Tay transends the gender - regardless - and, I am happy for him too. It's a chance for some great exposure in a role carried by some very impressive aritist. I don't want him to be known totally for Broadway, but, hey, it gets his name out there and it is a really nice role.

i think he's playing an Angel not a Fairy, but you say tomato and I'll say toamatoe LOL
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:24 pm

Yeah he is an ANGEL alright. I am just worried the hate boards will eat this up.... Hope not...
Back to top Go down
Possumrider
Possumrider

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:27 pm

F them...you know...it's really time to quit worry about their sorry A'sssssssssssssssssss...........worrying about what "they" think only fuels the fire.

Obviously Taylor is excited about this and giving any thought to what the retractors have to say takes away from that. Enjoy the now, the later is not promised.
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:38 pm

so true so true! Your right on many counts. No matter what Tay say's or does the hate boards will remain. So those of us who understand what his "It" factor is, should enjoy it. Because were the lucky ones!
Back to top Go down
Possumrider
Possumrider

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:42 pm

Preach on, Sister...Can we have church tonight? I ain't talkin' 'bout pretend church. I'm talkin' 'bout for real chruch....................................................sorry, Paul Thorn took over...............................LOL
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2008 11:59 pm

Your to funnY! :)
Back to top Go down
Possumrider
Possumrider

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 7:24 am

Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' 322546
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 12:36 pm

See, I just want Tay out of my brain - that's all. When I was coming up, all I wanted was to go to Mardi Gras and to get to a Broadway play. Mardi - done. Play...trying to talk myself out of because I really can't afford to but would just die to - and one of my favs too *whimpers*.
I think this will be awesome exposure for Tay. Get his face out there and maybe a Tony in his future....
~tyg
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 12:41 pm

Tay and grease together? If I had it I would pay a lot to see it!
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 12:43 pm

Did anyone see Taylor on the "TODAY" show this morning? HE WAS GREAT, Looked great, sounded great.. He is so excited for this to happen, and I read that somewhere he mentioned his new Cd that will be released this fall, he said it has some of the best music he's ever written on it, Oh man I can not wait.

Jodi, about the hate boards, they'll do the hate card regardless of what Taylor does, because nothing he does is going to make them just shut up and go away, At least he'll get to prove just what he's made of and just how good he is...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease'   Taylor Hicks prepares for Broadway role in 'Grease' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Taylor Goodies :: Taylor In The News-
Jump to: