Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

GREASE Review

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

GREASE Review Empty
PostSubject: GREASE Review   GREASE Review Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 6:57 pm

ASSOCIATED CONTENT
Grease' is more then the Word!
"Reality After Reality" Article Series
By Claudia Oakenfull

One of the longest running shows along "The Great White Way" Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey's classic standard has gotten an "Extreme Makeover". The revitalization is only fitting since the stars of the current cast had a six week long audition process on the hit reality talent competition GREASE "You're the one that I want" with America doing the casting and making the final decisions.

Their choices Max Crumm (Danny) whose vocals may be average, but Crumm's performing dynamics are superb. Max draws the audience in and steals every number he's in...he truly takes you along for the ride. Danny of course has to have his main squeeze...and America elected Laura Osnes (Sandy) for the role of the demure, shy and sheltered Sandy. Laura envelopes the role in her Broadway debut and with the voice of an angel Osnes effortlessly tosses every note gently echoing through the theater, falling on the audiences ears like perfect snowflakes trickling down on a fresh winter morning. Laura commands the stage like a seasoned vet with a strong presence and seamless character arcs through each turning point. In Laura Osnes a true thespian is born with a future as bright as the lights of Broadway.

America got it right again, as they did two years ago with the shows new addition in singer/songwriter and season five American Idol winner Taylor Hicks ("Teen Angel") . Taylor joined the cast June 6th for a three month stint, tackling...no as he puts it "Taylorizing" the role of "Teen Angel" made famous by Frankie Avalon in the 1978 film version of the musical. Taylor's last performance is slated for September 7, 2008.

Taylor puts a modern soulful twist on Warren Casey's classic "Beauty School Dropout" just think Michael McDonald meets Frankie Avalon, add in a harmonica solo and it is truly absolute perfection.

Taylor is pulling double duty while in New York producing and recording his next album independently on his own label "Modern Whomp Records"through a distribution deal with Vanguard Records it is a follow up to his self-titled major label debut that is expected for release this upcoming winter. Hicks will be formulating and re-mastering his two albums pre-idol "In Your Time" and "Under the Radar" into a compilation titled "Early Works" due out mid August. Hicks also has an upcoming release of a Live performance DVD "Whomp at the Warfield" that is expect to release this fall. Taylor may have been "Under the Radar" since idol but it seems he has been a busy little bee.

Ryan Patrick Binder (Doody) was another standout with a vocal range many young actors would die to posses. Binder is a great fit for Broadway but if he wanted a music career the concept is not too far fetched.

Matthew Saldivar (Kinickie) has great comedic timing but lacked stage presence in this role. Saldivar may grow as the show runs but as of present the role is larger then his talents reach.

Jamison Scott's (Eugene) portrayal of Rydell High's resident nerd was spot on...Scott has great comedic Timing along with a great persona and stage dynamic. Scott is a true testament that "there are no small parts"!

Kristen Wyatt (Frenchy) physically a perfect fit for the role of Frenchy but Wyatt lacks the presence and personality that the character so needs to posses. In the scene with "Teen Angel" Wyatt is upstaged by Hicks and simply becomes part of the malt shop backdrop becoming a mere flesh prop in a scene which the character is prepped to shine.

Jose' Retrepo (Sonny) commanded the first two acts with his flawless comedic timing and his personality really draws the audience in...Retrepo was the glue that kept them in their seats. I predict many film and television ventures in Mr. Retrepo's future.

Lindsay Mendez (Jan) is a complete breath of fresh air, natural, creative and great comedic timing. Mendez is one cast member that will bring you back to this production again and again.

Allison Fischer (Patty Simcox) Ms. Fischer gives a typical, predictable, paint by numbers performance. Fischer lacks in both stage presence and personality, seems Fischer just could not connect on any level. Fischer may grow during the shows run but time is of the essence, a quick workshop run through may do the trick.

Jenny Powers (Rizzo) also delivers' a predictable but perfect performance. Powers was never over the top or reaching...just a true portrayal with quite, and complete equilibrium. Powers's low alto vocals were felt right to your core; you felt Rizzo's pain with each note.

Robyn Hurder (Marty) a nice average performance, Hurder has a great vocal range but stage presence is lacking. Personality began to shine through during the 3rd and 4th acts but it needed to be there right out the gate. I am positive that Hurder will grow with the shows run.

Natalie Hill (Cha-Cha) Hill's portrayal of the Latina vixen failed to impress. Just over the top and lacked in comedic timing a lot of work is in store for Ms. Hill. A re-casting may be due, because after all the kinks are worked out the shows run will be over...sorry to say.

Ensemble: Great job with fabulous smooth transitions. I applaud the chorography of traditional dance steps with modern overtones and believe it assisted the re-birth of this adored classic as it still retained its traditional integrity.

I never expected the reality craze to ever hit Broadway but with "GREASE "You’re the one that I want" Jim Jacobs and Andrew Lloyd Webber hit a home run. The brilliant addition of Hicks to the company only will add to the shows run and popularity. "Reality after Reality" never seemed sweeter!

www.associatedcontent.com/coakenfull
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

GREASE Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREASE Review   GREASE Review Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 8:18 am

woo hoo Sounds like Taylor is a hit in this show. And my question on another posting is answered about that DVD which I can not wait to get my hands on.

Taylor Rocks
Back to top Go down

GREASE Review
Page 1 of 1