Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

GREASE, Starring Taylor Hicks Grosses Over $1.1 Million

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

GREASE, Starring Taylor Hicks Grosses Over $1.1 Million Empty
PostSubject: GREASE, Starring Taylor Hicks Grosses Over $1.1 Million   GREASE, Starring Taylor Hicks Grosses Over $1.1 Million Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 pm

From It's a soul thing blog
http://soulthing.blogspot.com/2008/12/grease-starring-taylor-hicks-grosses.html
Despite a sluggish economy, Taylor Hicks is bringing people out to see the touring company of 'Grease' this winter, which started in Providence, RI on Dec. 2. According to the Providence Journal, "...the new national tour, headlining American Idol winner Taylor Hicks, is doing well at its first stop in Providence. Lynn Singleton, president of PPAC, said he expects the show to gross about $1.1 million this week, or about 10 percent better than Legally Blonde, which opened its national tour here in September.

“We’re very pleased,” said Singleton. “The market has responded well in a daunting time, and on top of that the crowds seem to love the show.”

Singleton said he expects the show to play to about 80 percent capacity before it closes in Providence tomorrow. From Providence the touring show leaves for stops in 13 other cities by the end of May...."

And, he's making believers out of just about everyone who sees the production. Jessica Braley of the Herald News put it this way:

"...Consider yourselves warned. The number of times I voted for Taylor Hicks to win “American Idol” may directly interfere with my ability to be partial when reviewing the touring production of “Grease” at the Providence Performing Arts Center.

At first, I was skeptical at the Idol winner’s ability to pull off the teen role first made famous by Frankie Avalon, but with a booming voice and a few flashes of his harmonica skills, Hicks made a believer out of me. Catching a glimpse of the star posing for pics with fans on his way into the theatre certainly helped.

Bringing a personality and a personal history to the role, Hicks delivered a shining, literally and figuratively, performance as Teen Angel and his performance of “Beauty School Dropout” was certainly one of the high points of the show. Descending from a glittering, fur-lined ice cream cone to the stage in a sequined, glittering suit complete with flashy angel wings, Hicks mesmerized Frenchy and the audience. Frenchy, played exquisitely by Kate Morgan Chadwick, snagged a few laughs when pleading with Hicks as she toyed with his open shirt, “You know ... I voted for you...”

Or how about this unsuspecting blogger who completely get turned on by Taylor's performance as Teen Angel.... check this one out ...

"...omg omg omg just saw grease at ppac.

well, saw it last night. but it hit me so hard that it feels like i just saw it.

see now i feel bad because i honestly enjoyed it, and those last two sentences make it seem like i didn't. so, to clarify, i did enjoy the performance. but what i enjoyed most was TAYLOR HICKS.

awww yeah he's too old to play any of the main characters so he played 'teen angel' and sang 'beauty school drop out' to frenchie.

and i'll be the first to tell you that i was never really big into mr. hicks, there. or american idol at that moment. but now that i saw this show? well, i will also be the first to say that he stole the show.

really, he did. good song, good acting, really enjoyed himself. of course, he has sang this song hundreds of times, but he seemed to really enjoy it. and thus, i did too...."

or Dick Upson of the Blues, Soul & Rock 'n Roll blog:

"...Hicks has a big, soothing voice that was perfect in the best doo wop fashion as Teen Angel consoles poor Frenchy that she can still "...go back to high school.." even if she is a "Beauty School Dropout..."

Or how about this from Randy Rice at BroadwayWorld.com:

"...Taylor Hicks, whom the audience adores, has a magical entrance and does a fine job as Teen Angel. While Hicks may be a draw to bring the audience into the theater, he does not rely on gimmickry. Hicks understands the campy nature of the role but approaches Teen Angel with artistic integrity. He gets to wail a few bars on his harmonica, which adds another dimension to the character..."

You GO Taylor!!!! Show the country what you got, dude!
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

GREASE, Starring Taylor Hicks Grosses Over $1.1 Million Empty
PostSubject: Re: GREASE, Starring Taylor Hicks Grosses Over $1.1 Million   GREASE, Starring Taylor Hicks Grosses Over $1.1 Million Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 3:15 pm

Why am I not surprised?
~tyg
Back to top Go down

GREASE, Starring Taylor Hicks Grosses Over $1.1 Million
Page 1 of 1