Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10

Go down 
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10 Empty
PostSubject: Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10   Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 10:52 am

:welcome1: all to the final week of season 9.

Our show starts off with the wording "what does it take to make an idol". More wording follows before we see clips of the season with both Lee DeWyze and Crystal Bowersox saying in unison "I will be the next American Idol". Ryan Seacrest then adds that only one can make good on that promise. This is American Idol!

Now we are on the stage of the big Nokia Theatre with 7000 fans in attendance. Ryan tells us our final two contestants both tried out in Chicago and both are 24 years old. Hello to the judges with some extra comments for Simon Cowell who is leaving the show after 9 years. I am sure he is going to be missed in spite of his sometimes overbearing comments. Our top two are introduced who emerged from the audience this time around. Looks like Crystal dropped something as she heads down the aisle but does finally make it to the stage. Both indicate they are overwhelmed with the crowd but also seem excited I think.

We now know that three rounds will be shown. Round 1 is the contestant's personal favorite from the season, Round 2 will be Simon Fuller's pick and Round 3 is the coronation song that whomever wins will be their first release. Coin toss has Crystal the victor and she opts to go second in the rounds.

Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10 820770 The Performances

ROUND 1:

Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10 485234 Lee's parents are shown in a clip saying they thought Lee would be a baseball player as a career however along the way growing up he discovered music which is now his passion in life. Sadly his personal choice of Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" did not show much passion or energy. I found this repeat performance just okay. Randy thought it was a great way to start off the show but does mention Lee's lack of energy. Ellen cutely says she couldn't be prouder of him if she had birthed him herself and feels he did this number better this time. Kara agrees with Randy but does mention she thought he was connected to the song. Simon tells it like it is by saying he expected more passion but felt this performance was more like a kiss on the cheek rather than a kiss on the lips. My grade: B

Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10 201170 Crystal's dad tells us how Crystal found her niche in singing by snooping for Christmas presents at age 10 and discovering the guitar which she taught herself to play. We also hear how her first gig was in a coffee house. She wisely picks as her first song of the night "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin. Earlier in the season she shined with this number and almost seconds that however I felt she has kind of a slow start in the beginning. Randy mentions the slow beginning but says the second half was dope. Ellen babbles about lots of things that make Crystal compelling. Kara loves both of Crystal's performances of this song and adds she has fire in her belly. Simon says he felt this song showed why they fell in love with her this season. My grade: B+

ROUND 2:

Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10 76735 The producer's pick for Lee is "Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M. With guitar in hand Lee gives what I thought was a performance filled with pitch problems not to mention he seemed to be over-shadowed by the choir which resulted in him kind of shouting the lyrics. Randy agrees with the pitch problems but does say Lee showed more passion. Ellen thinks he went off with the notes at times but agrees he showed more excitement. Kara thinks he was emotionally acceptable. Simon likes the song choice but instead of commenting on the actual performance mentions that Lee seems nervous and wants ten out of ten with his performances. My grade: B-

:sing: Crystal's song is "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles. She starts off her number without the guitar and on top of the staircase. Her beginning just seemed okay as she descends the stairs carefully, however once on stage she totally belts out this number and brings some excitement to the audience. Randy is bowled over with "mamasox" and says she is in it to win it. Ellen talks about the wardrobe changes before she finally calls Crystal fantastic. Kara says lots of words which boils down to her thinking Crystal is great. Simon is sort of allergic to the song choice as he has heard it so many times before but thinks Crystal nailed it. My grade: B

ROUND 3:

lol! Should Lee win his first release will be a cover of the song "Beautiful Day" by U2. He has violins as back-up instead of his guitar. For the first time tonight I felt Lee showed some personality and sort of made the song his own. I was not totally blown away by his singing however and frankly speaking already know I would not buy this song by him. Randy says he started hitting the right notes in the middle of the song. Ellen asks Lee how he feels and of course he says he is happy. She adds he was fully present on this number (huh?). Kara is more realistic and thinks Lee got fouled up on this song. Simon feels he made the most of it but also mentions how Lee is a nice guy who deserves a break and wishes him luck in the future. Lee does say after his comments from the judges that this experience has been amazing and he plans on being a singer for a long time. He thanks the fans for their support. My grade: B

Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10 664500 Crystal gives a very passionate and heartfelt performance to the number "Up On The Mountain" originally by Patty Griffin. You may remember that Kelly Clarkson performed this song on the 2007 "Idol Gives Back" show. Crystal sits on a stool with her guitar and also has choir backing. I was so impressed with her control on this ballad plus her last few notes had chills running up and down my spine. I am buying this one for sure should she win. Randy calls this an amazing song by an amazing singer and adds incredible. Ellen says she is in a league of her own and will buy her album as well as see her on tour. Kara adds her amazing and also mentions that Crystal's usual "wall" was not present tonight. Before Simon adds his comments Crystal thanks Simon for all his help this season and wishes him the best in his future. I loved this! Simon then says his last comment on a performance by calling Crystal's performance outstanding. My grade: A

Crystal's final comments to Ryan are this ride started way before this season got started and she is grateful for her family, life and her son. She is ready for anything.

Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10 322546 Final Thoughts:

I thought it was great how Ryan tells Simon he is a dear friend who will be missed. Seems they have a few surprises for him on the results show.

Now for my thoughts on who should win the competition. Based solely on tonight's performances Crystal should be the winner. In my opinion she has been the most consistent throughout the season and is incredibly talented. While I think Lee is also a good singer, tonight he was just okay. However due to his fan base plus he is a shoe-in for the female gender I think he probably will take the title. Sad! Both of course will get contracts but for myself I already know I will be buying Crystal's album. Lee is a big maybe for me personally.

I do welcome your comments and wish you a wonderful day. I will be back later with my final re-cap of the season.

Take care!
Back to top Go down

Top 2 Showdown - 5/25/10
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Reality Music shows :: American Idol-
Jump to: