Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Share | 

12 Minus 1 - 3/14/12

Go down 
AuthorMessage
concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: 12 Minus 1 - 3/14/12   Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi there! I know my heading is strange but that is pretty much how this week's show is. Ryan Seacrest starts out the evening by mentioning that throughout idol's reign there has been controversy but this time around with the help of law enforcement someone has been disqualified from the show which leaves us with only eleven contestants.

He further states that he will get to that later however I am going to let you know what is happening right now as to not over-shadow the remaining contestants which is what this show did on this night. Seems Jermaine Jones has four warrants out for his arrest (we see his meeting with Nigel Lythgoe and Ken Warrick about halfway in the show). While the warrants are for kind of minor things such as a fight, being a public nuisance and lying about his name in both incidents, the producers tell Jermaine that they can not keep him on the show. They feel he should have told them in the beginning and they might have been able to help him. Jermaine of course is not happy about this but realizes he should have come clean. He leaves on an amicable note. Now this is my thoughts on this. Did not Jermaine think because he is on national television that his past would come back to haunt him? This shows he is not very bright in my opinion. Another factor is how come it took so long for the producers to find out this info since they do background checks. Was this a ploy on their part for the drama it would bring since idol's ratings are falling a bit? Now comes the real bummer. Because Jermaine was brought back the way he was someone else lost a slot in the top 13. My thoughts are of Reed Grimm, Jen Hirsh, Creighton Fraker, David Leathers Jr. and Adam Brock. In my opinion I think they should have replaced Jermaine with one of these people and gave the voters a chance to keep whomever in. But that is not how they are doing it. Not only is Jermaine gone but another is going to be eliminated on the results show so we are quickly down to the top 10. Bad, bad, bad American Idol!

Okay enough of the drama. Tonight's theme is the year they were born. We get to see baby pictures of Randy, Jennifer, Steven and even Ryan before the contestants do their songs. Each contestant has their parents telling us how they were as children plus we see footage of rehearsal time. This week's mentor is Will.I.Am from The Black Eyed Peas. My real complaint about this theme is it seems like the same-o songs are always chosen and when I think of how many great songs there were in any given year, it's a shame that so many covers were done tonight.

Up first is Phil Phillips who was born in 1990. Seems Phil was not feeling so well as he had kidney stones and actually went and had surgery before this show aired. His song choice is "Hard To Handle" by the Black Crowes (they covered it from the original 1968 version by Otis Redding). While he may not have been as energetic as he normally is I thought he did a great job on this number. Steven Tyler's only critique was watch the melody but keep up with his unique talent. Jennifer Lopez thinks he is a natural performer and called it perfect. Randy agreed and liked the song choice. My grade: A

Jessica Sanchez is doing the song "Turn The Beat Around" from Gloria Esteban's 1995 cover. During the disco era, Vicki Sue Robinson did it first. I thought she showed alot of energy and did fairly well with this song but I was not totally blown away this week. Steven and I agreed that we loved her silvery pants. He also loves her voice but felt the rhythm was a little shaky. Jennifer adds her performance lagged a bit. Randy did not care for the song choice and mentions her vibrato in the number. My grade: B+

Heejun Han gives a lackluster performance to the 1989 song "Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx. I felt he was struggling throughout with hitting the notes although his last high note was good. He had a cute moment with Will.I.Am getting his autograph and also wanting Fergie's phone number but frankly I think his dry humor is wearing thin. Steven loves his voice but thinks he sounded breathy in this song. Jennifer felt he struggled also but the end note was perfect. Randy flat out says he was pitchy and seemed out of breath throughout the song. I have to somewhat agree. My grade: C-

I am so glad Elise Testone made it another week to give us a nice renditon to the song "Let's Stay Together" that was a hit for Al Green in 1972 and covered by Tina Turner in 1983 which is the year of Elise's birth. I felt her beginning was a little rough but once the chorus came in she was really good and made it her own. Steven loves her soul. Jennifer thinks she made the right choice and showed us the real singer they liked in the auditions. Randy says Elise is back and that was dope. My grade: B+

Sadly I think Jimmy Iovine gave Deandre Brackensick a bad choice of song. Deandre was going to do Elton John's "Feel The Love Tonight" but Jimmy convinces him to do "Endless Love" instead. This was a hit for Lionel Richie (he wrote the song) and Diana Ross in 1981 however Deandre is doing the Mariah Carey/Luther Vandross version to correspond with his birth year of 1994. I had to agree with all the judges that the song choice was wrong, boring and safe. Not that Deandre was horrible but it was just blah. My grade: B-

I honestly can not understand why the judges like to pimp Shannon Magrane who was born in 1995. In my opinion she sounded pitchy as she sang "One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey and Boys II Men. She also appeared to be struggling with notes although her high note was good. Steven cautions her not to try so hard but thought it was good. Jennifer thinks she did a beautiful job. Randy calls her fearless and liked the end note. My grade: C-

I was not wild about the number Colton Dixon chose to sing. It was called "Broken Hearts" by White Lion done in 1991. This is probably the best I have heard Colton sing since his appearance in the top 24. Again not blown away but done fairly nicely. Steven however was not feeling it and felt it was the wrong song choice. Jennifer thinks Colton is adorable looking when he sings and calls him a lover. Randy thinks he performed this good. My grade: B

Erika Van Pelt was born in 1985 and does the Bryan Adams song "Heaven". I, like Randy kind of liked the rocker edge she gave the song and would give it an 8 out of 10 like Randy did. Steven felt she was too busy with the lyrics of the song. Jennifer comments that the arrangement was off a bit. Overall nicely done in my opinion. My grade: B

Here is where they brought up Jermaine Jones and I am only saying this as we briefly got to see his rehearsal with the song "Somewhere Out There" originally by Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram. What we heard sounded pretty good and I feel Jermaine's voice will definitely be missed.

Cute Skylar Laine was born in 1994. She opts to sing Bonnie Raitt's "Love Sneaking Up On You". She did pretty good with the number and shows alot of energy. It was good not great in my book but I liked it overall. Steven talks about how she puts her heart and soul into her singing. Jennifer thinks she killed it (that means good). Randy agrees that she rocked it. My grade: B+

Now comes the top performer of the night in my opinion as Joshua Ledei who was born in 1992 does a sexy and soulful rendition to the song "When A Man Loves A Woman". This song was originally done by Percy Sledge in 1966 however Michael Bolton covered it in 1992. This was the perfect song for Joshua and his high notes were fantastic. The judges loved it as they gave him a standing ovation. Each felt he was great and blew it out of the box. I so agree! My grade: A+

This last number by Hollie Cavanagh could have been great also except of the arrangement of "The Power of Love" by Celine Dion was not so good. Hollie was doing very good with the song but the lyric change in the middle caused her to sound a little off with a few notes. Regardless I think this girl was pretty good and I loved her gold dress. Each of the judges made a comment regarding the pitch problems in the song but overall felt it was good. My grade: B+

Well, tonight certainly had some good singing along with the drama. My bottom three consist of Heejun Han, Shannon Magrane and Deandre Brackensick. Who will go, well that is anyone's guess as the voters can be so fickle. My top favorite as mentioned was Joshua Ledei. I will be back with the results re-cap later. I welcome your thoughts and until next time take care my friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: 12 Minus 1 - 3/14/12   Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Ugh, gotta catch up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.twitter.azsoul.com