Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Share | 

A New Beginning For Top 7 - 4/18/12

Go down 
AuthorMessage
concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: A New Beginning For Top 7 - 4/18/12   Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:08 am

Our show is starting off with the almost elimination of Jessica Sanchez and the dramatic save the judges used for her. Yep, this was a new beginning for the top 7.

The judges and Ryan are welcomed to the stage as are the top 7 after Ryan Seacrest mentions the greatness that Dick Clark displayed during his career. I say RIP Dick because you will be remembered and missed greatly.

We now know that our contestants will be performing two songs tonight. The first one is any song from 2000 until today. The second one is to show their soul from way back when. We have no mentor tonight just Jimmy Iovine working with the contestants and making alot of sense I thought.

With all that out of the way, let's get started on the performances:

Hollie Cavanaugh is up first and doing the song "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele. Seems like someone is always doing this song on one show or another. However I have to say Hollie was amazing with her big voice. I was getting chills throughout the song. Steven Tyler called it perfect. Jennifer Lopez says her passion during this number is what they have been waiting for. Randy added his two cents by saying it was close to perfect but he actually felt the connection. My grade: A+

Hollie's second choice of song from the soul side was "Son of A Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield. I actually was a bit let down with this second number. Not to say she did not do well with it but I did not feel the spark like I did on her first song. Steven I think felt the same as he mentions he feels she can push even more. JLo mentions the new compose Hollie is showing while she sings. Randy felt she worked it out. My grade: B

Colton Dixon goes back to being a rocker with his version of the Lady GaGa song "Bad Romance". I sort of felt like we were watching a concert as mentioned by Randy however I felt this was just okay overall. I guess my problem is I just do not feel Colton is that great of a singer. Steven compliments him by saying he is doing real well. Jennifer feels he has character when he performs and it is exciting. Randy mentions the low verses that Colton showed but feels he is in the zone. My grade: B

Now I am disagree with the judges on Colton's second performance of "September" by Earth, Wind & Fire. I liked his version of this song and thought it was better than the first one. However each of the judges did not care for the song choice and felt he could have done more with it. What gets my goat about this choice is Earth, Wind & Fire had so many great songs and it just seems like someone always sings this song year after year. Anyhow my grade for Colton is B+.

Sadly I think Elise Testone may be leaving this week. Her first song choice is "No One" by Alicia Keys. Don't get me wrong I thought Elise was really good with the singing but the song choice just did not seem to fit her that well. Steven did though by calling her performance delicious. Jennifer feels she lets go naturally and calls it beautiful. Randy thought it was great overall. My grade: B+

Another bad choice by Elise by doing the song "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye. It started out sexy but after the first few lyrics I felt like something was missing as she performed. It is really too bad because I like Elise alot and someday hope to get her music. Steven thought she was versatile. JLo likes the voice but feels Elise needs to show more emotion. Randy agreed and definitely did not care for the song choice. My grade: B

Phil Phillips really out-did himself tonight with a very sexy jazz version to the song "U Got It Bad" by Usher. He makes it his own and I definitely had the "goosies" as he sang. The judges loved it and give him a much deserved standing ovation. Steven thought his melody was great. JLo also got the sexy vibe from Phil. Randy calls him a true artist. My grade: A+

Again I am loving Phil as he sings "The Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett. This time he performs without his guitar and does a few dance moves while he sings. I thought this performance also was sexy. Steven calls this brilliantly awkward. Jennifer wanted to get up and dance with him. Randy says each time they feel his emotion. My grade: A+

Jessica Sanchez certainly proves herself as she performs "Fallin" by Alicia Keys. She made it her own in several of the verses and I thought she sang this really well. Steven loved her passion while Jennifer mentions how glad they were they used the save card on her. Randy feels she is a brilliant talent. My grade: A

I was not so enthused with Jessica's second performance which was "Try A Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding. I felt she over-sang the song a bit and the rasp she displayed just did not seem to fit her. Steven however feels she did it again. JLo loves when she shows her alter ego (Bebe) but does mention that America needs to connect with her more. Randy basically agrees with Jennifer's thoughts. My grade: B

Skylar Laine opts to do a country version of the Lady GaGa song "Born This Way". I thought it was okay but overall I really felt no connection as she sang. Steven thinks she is so good. Jennifer loved this version of the song. Randy calls her an amazing rocking country girl. My grade: B

I was not to hep with Skylar's second number either. It was country version of the Marvin Gaye classic "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". Personally I felt she was yelling the lyrics too much. The judges however thought she brought it with Steven saying she was like a wild horse that refuses to be tamed. Jennifer feels she relates to the song each time. Randy called it a brilliant connection and it was like having a party. My grade: B

Joshua Ledet sings his idol's song "I Believe" by Fantasia. I thought this was good not great however I have to add I hope to buy any music from Joshua in the future. The judges give him a standing ovation. Steven feels he could sing the phone book and sound good. Jennifer calls him amazing. Randy feels he is a truly gifted singer. My grade: B+

I felt the chills right off the bat when Joshua sings "A Change Is Gonna Come" by the great Sam Cooke. Seemed like he was building the story up to the big notes at the end. I really loved it. So did the judges who give him another standing ovation. Steven feels he keeps stretching his limits. Jennifer wanted more meaning she could listen to him forever. Randy felt it was a perfect song choice and calls his performance stellar. My grade: A+

Final Thoughts:

I was glad that Ryan mentioned Soul Train and Don Cornelius (sadly Don died of a self-inflicted gun shot in February of this year). I so remember watching this show so often. It was on for 35 years which is amazing in itself. Ryan gives a shout-out to Don's son Tony who is in the audience.

Kris Allen was also in the audience and will be performing on the results show.

Now this week is sort of tough to pick a bottom three however my choices are Jessica Sanchez, Skylar Laine and as mentioned before Elise Testone. I really think Elise will be eliminated however anything can happen.

I will be back with the re-cap of the results show tomorrow. I now bid you all a good-night. Take care!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: A New Beginning For Top 7 - 4/18/12   Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:47 pm

I have to admit I was impressed with everyone with the exception of Elise and Joshua. Colton could have done better too but he wasn't so bad. My top favorites for the night .... Phillip and Skylar. I'd love to see these two in the finale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.twitter.azsoul.com

A New Beginning For Top 7 - 4/18/12
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Reality Music shows :: American Idol-
Jump to: