Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Just happy to play music for a living

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Just happy to play music for a living Empty
PostSubject: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 6:29 pm

By Pocholo Concepcion
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 00:07am (Mla time) 12/26/2007

MANILA, Philippines—As a child of divorced parents, recent Manila visitor Taylor Hicks found solace in music. He fell hard for black artists; getting to watch them in concert convinced him that he should follow their lead.

For 10 years, Hicks toiled as a professional singer, making the rounds of bars and clubs (even parties) around the southeastern states, including those near his hometown, Alabama.

Though he wasn’t signed to any label, he already had two albums—“In Your Time” and “Under the Radar”—both self-produced, prior to his self-titled major label (Arista/Sony BMG) debut which came after he became the 2006 American Idol.

Despite worldwide attention following his triumph, Hicks remains grounded and doesn’t mind being referred to as the oldest or least likely-looking Idol. What he’s most proud of, simply, is being a musician.

How did your parents’ divorce affect you?

Any child who goes through a divorce has to find a happy place. For me, music was that happy place. It became my passion and outlet for my feelings.

How did you find the music that you love?

I first heard Sam Cooke and Ray Charles on the radio, in a program called AM Gold.

Was there a conscious effort to emulate these influences?

Yeah, but once you hear all these great artists and musicians, you want to recreate something for yourself. That’s when you try to take off and create your own music.

What was the biggest difference between your first two independent albums and the major label debut?

The first two were my music, songs that I’ve written. The third had other songwriters and producers. That was a great learning experience which helped me become a better recording artist.

How do you rate the first two albums?

I think the first one definitely needed some work. The second one was the better attempt. And the third was me understanding what it was like to have a bigger production.

You described the third album as organic.

What I tried to accomplish was take some of the organic influences and cross them over with pop sensibilities. I think I got a good shot at it.

What band or solo artist, do you think, has been very influential these past few years?

I think Norah Jones brought us back down to earth commercially with “Don’t Know Why.” It allowed songwriters and people with pure musical talents to be heard on radio, as opposed to the more “produced” sounds. For me, personally, it’s Ray La Montaigne. He’s a great soul singer.

Do you remember watching a concert that changed your life?

I was 6 or 7 when I saw Lionel Richie and Tina Turner in concert. Seeing those two performers, right off the bat, didn’t hurt anything.

You look more fashionable now. Do you have a stylist?

I go shopping and comb my hair just like everybody else. But you know what? I take that back, ’cause very little do I comb my hair, although I put gel in it.

Have you ever thought of dyeing your salt-and-pepper hair?

No. I would be scared to [do that] because nobody would know who I am.

What if it all turns white?

Then I may have to reconsider.

You were referred to as the oldest American Idol in the early part of the contest. Did that affect you?

You could say I was the oldest and the wisest! I knew it was up to America to vote. Some of the judges’ comments, I just let them roll off my back.

Clive Davis (record company boss) signed up Chris Daughtry (2007 AI fourth placer) even earlier than you.

Chris deserves all that. He’s a rock singer and songwriter. Considering how popular rock music is right now, that’s a no-brainer.

Before AI, you spent time in Nashville pursuing your music career, although it didn’t pan out.

I was trying to make it for 10 years. I did everything possible and created every opportunity just to make it. I thought Nashville was a good place for me, at the time, to be heard. It taught me a lot about myself.

Are you proud to be called a white soul/R&B singer?

I’m just proud to be a musician, to play music for a living.

How do you see yourself 10 years from now?

Completely white hair. But hopefully still playing music, touring, maybe sitting here with you for another interview.

http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net...ticle_id=108798
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 6:47 pm

Awwww.....I hope he's still here too. And I know we all will *hugs*
~tyg
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2007 6:13 am

Exclamation Good article and if Taylor is around in 10 years and I am still here I will be around. He is such a wonderful talent and I can not get enough of this awesome man! :huggy:
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 8:09 pm

I dont see me going anywhere. I hope this forum is still alive too!
Back to top Go down
tishlp

tishlp

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2007-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 9:23 pm

Quote :
How do you rate the first two albums?

I think the first one definitely needed some work. The second one was the better attempt. And the third was me understanding what it was like to have a bigger production.

Sorry, Taylor I don't agree, I think In Your Time is just perfect!

Of course most artist are never fully satisfied with their work. I can't wait to hear what is on the next album.
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 10:04 pm

I can relate. So many people praise me for my art. Yet I ALWAYS see flaws lol
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 9:36 am

I think that's the nature of the beast - as artists, we are forever our worst critic!!!!!!
~tyg
Back to top Go down
deeppurple
deeppurple

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 11:17 am

*deep sigh* I love him. Just happy to play music for a living Tinyredheart

And Tyg.....you have amazing writing talent girl!! I've told you that. And not just with fan fic, but a real way with words in all your postings on every forum I've ever seen you on. Have faith in yourself sweetie. Just happy to play music for a living 322546
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/deeppurple64
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 12:59 pm

It's not faith, it's that I think I suck worse than a Hoover vacuum! But it's okay, I have others - such as you - who have a more unbiased outlook *g*
*hugs you* Where you been? I miss you.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 1:47 pm

deep sigh* I love him.

And Tyg.....you have amazing writing talent girl!! I've told you that. And not just with fan fic, but a real way with words in all your postings on every forum I've ever seen you on. Have faith in yourself sweetie.
You are so right! Tyggy you could go places with your talent if you just stopped and looked at yourself for who you are and not who others made you belive you are! (hmm guess I should take my own advice) (clears throught) Anyway.. your a great writer hon, never sell yourself short!
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 1:52 pm

Tell you what - I'm going to write me a book some day. Want to illustrate? And I YIMed you - you on?
~tyg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just happy to play music for a living   Just happy to play music for a living Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just happy to play music for a living
Page 1 of 1