Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On! Empty
PostSubject: Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On!   Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 8:27 pm

For all those who are confused about Taylor being dropped from J-records.. this is an old article about Taylor BEFORE he won.
by Donna Reynolds -- 05/02/2006

When he’s hot he’s smokin’, but when he’s not, he seems almost resigned to not becoming the next American Idol. But no matter what he does, Taylor Hicks doesn’t seem to be able to please Simon Cowell. What is it about Taylor that seems to bother him so much, and how can he overcome this? Donna has some ideas, so read on.
Right about now, Taylor Hicks should be sitting on top of the world. He has amassed a fanbase that rivals the Claymates in size and enthusiasm, attracted massive media attention, and had impressive interactions with all of this season’s guest artists. Ruben Studdard has endorsed him and Caroline Bice has been spotted watching the show with Taylor’s parents back home.

With all this going for him, you’d think that Taylor would be a lock for the title this year, but there’s one slight problem. Idol judge Simon Cowell seems to have a burn on for Taylor that just won’t quit. Week after week, Simon lambastes Taylor’s performances, spitting out rude comments, and one week even going so far as to wonder aloud whether Taylor was drunk. No matter what Taylor does, he doesn’t seem to be able to please Simon, and it’s beginning to become very obnoxious.

What I don’t understand is why Simon doesn’t recognize Taylor’s potential and marketability. He’s immensely popular, and that alone will translate into album sales. He’s also a good musician. I have listened to his pre-Idol music, and have no doubt that, with the right songs and producers, Taylor could do a great album that would be very well-received. I keep going back to Clay Aiken and thinking about how well he did post-Idol despite not winning. You’d think that Simon would have learned from experience that sometimes the viewers really do get it right.

Of course, Simon isn’t Taylor’s only problem. He is running into other obstacles on his journey through this year’s Idol labyrinth. Last week, in fact, Taylor’s original song choice was yanked on Monday, leaving him only a day to prepare for Tuesday’s show. In a radio interview with Television Week Editorial Director Chuck Ross, Idol Executive Producer Nigel Lythgoe said that they didn’t feel that Taylor’s original choice, “Try a Little Tenderness,” fit the theme. He said that they gauged the appropriateness of the song selections by whether the guest artist would sing them. He didn’t feel that this was a song that Andrea Bocelli would sing, and Taylor was told to pick another tune. Say what? Taylor would have totally rocked on “Try a Little Tenderness,” and certainly would not have been compared to a lounge singer by Simon. Or maybe not. It’s hard to know how Simon is going to react to Taylor on any given week.

At this point, Taylor needs to forget about Simon and go for broke. He’s got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Taylor’s best performances have come when he’s done upbeat songs and infused them with his own particular brand of soul the way he did with “Takin’ it to the Streets” and “Livin’ for the City.” Forget about the ballads. He needs the studio audience to be with him all the way through the song so that they will erupt when it is finished. Then, Simon can say whatever he wants, the audience will boo, and voters will jump on their phones.

One of Taylor’s problems has been inconsistency. I am only guessing here, but it seems to me that when he’s singing a song that was not his first (or second) choice, he doesn’t put his all into the performance. He’s got to get over this, plain and simple. This is no time for him to be a temperamental artist, and this could cost him the competition. Taylor, listen to me, you’ve got to suck it up and make it work, no matter what song you are doing.

Once Taylor’s done his thing, the Soul Patrol and everyone else who enjoyed his performance absolutely MUST vote. This is no time to get lazy. You can complain all you want about Simon and performance placement and everything else, but unless you vote, Taylor will be eliminated. It’s that simple. I hate having to do this two-hour speed dial voting nonsense, but that’s the reality of this show.

This week, the Vote for the Worst website has come out and “endorsed” Taylor as their next target. What’s interesting is that they are not saying that Taylor is the worst; there really is no “worst” one left. What they are doing is supporting him because Simon does not! The site clarifies their position saying, “Simon wants Taylor out now, because he can't stand to promote someone so unmarketable. So what do we say? Stick it to the show and vote for Taylor! He has the Soul Patrol, and now he has us, the A-hole (edited) Patrol! Hopefully we can work together to help Taylor win this thing!”

Now, I don’t put a whole lot of stock in the effectiveness of this group. After all, every one of their picks has been voted off despite their efforts. But over four million people have visited this site, and certainly, every vote helps, especially in a race that is going to be the tightest ever.

Taylor is doing something that no other contestant has ever done before, and that is, getting people who “found” their Idol in previous seasons back into the show. I have heard from a lot of my friends from previous seasons; people who were fans of Bo and George especially, and they are all saying that the only reason they are watching this year is because of Taylor. It’s rather remarkable, actually. For me, Taylor combines George’s spirit and enthusiasm with Bo’s deep musical roots, and it’s a winning combination. I look forward to his performances each week, and want to see him in the finals.

In the end, Taylor has to want this as much as his fans want it for him. It’s on him, after all. But if he can bring it every time, every week, his fans will respond, and Taylor Hicks can indeed make it to the finals. While you’re voting, think about how amazing his winning would be. Think about how he would react and imagine the look on his face and his leap for joy. Imagine the audience going mad and the other finalists’ excitement. Think about how you would feel watching the show at home. That’s what we’re talking about here, after all.

---------------------------------------
Of course we all know he did win. However there was and always will be a dark cloud hanging over him thanks to Cowell and Clive.
I have not forgotton the look on Taylors face when week after week he would be bashed for being differant. Yet I thought that was the reason for the show in the first place? To find new blood...
For me this is the beginning of Taylor's black cloud to start disapearing, for the sun to shine through so he can finally be free to be himself and be left saying, he did it.. this time he did it without the chains and strains of being attached to an iron chain..
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
Angie
Administrator
Angie

Female
Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On!   Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 8:53 pm

I think the show in general has a black cloud over it since Taylor won. A lot of people don't watch anymore because of Taylor's mistreatment. Me? I don't like what they did to him, but such is life. Some people are just jerks and you have to blow them off. I don't get all upset over the fact that they've mistreated him or mismanaged him. I read about it and voice my opinion or think about how mean those jerks are and realize I can't fix it. I feel the way he was treated/managed especially with the single and no video and stuff....they could have ruined his career. I just prayed he'd work it all out.

I remember when he won. I scared the heck out of my son!! I screamed and made him cry. I was so sure he was going to win until Ryan had us wait for like an hour with that long pause...i got scared and started thinking..."OMG what if Kat wins?" Yeah...that's how long that damn pause is....then I lost it when he won! It was amazing and I still cry if I watch it over.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Idol-Unofficial.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On!   Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 11:08 pm

I agree Angie, AI and Simon have to learn that they can not keep running at the mouth and expect people to keep watching, Like it or not Taylor has a hugh fan base and I know that many, many of them did not watch last season due to Simons comments about Taylor during the auditions, and with all the press that has been unfavorable sense then there are even more that will not watch, Expecially after Nigel's little comments about Taylor,
Simon once said of Chris that he is the only contensant that they've had that refuses to compromise, I didn't see Taylor Compromise either, or did I just not see it. I never understood that remark.
Simon has never liked Taylor and it breaks my heart that Taylor knows that, he's commented on it, someone asked him if he won Simon over and he said it would never happen, the announcer asked him why he thought Simon felt that way, Taylor said he really didn't know, he was there just like the rest was to be heard and to win. I personally think it was because Taylor chuckled at Simon and made the comment that "some people didn't know who -- was ( I forget the name) and that was right at the audition, I think Taylor made Simon mad for that, for daring to chuckle at him. Also I noticed through the whole show that it was a singing compation but only when Simon said it was. I mean in Taylors Audition he said it "Wasn't just about the voice" but later it was "this is a singing compation" it's like he said it when it fit something he wanted to make a point about. Simon is a difficult person..

I'll watch this season, but IF I vote it'll have to be because of some one very super good or something, I really am not looking for another idol Taylor is my one and only...
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On!   Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:12 am

American Idol has lost its lustre to me. Season 5 was the shark, and they jumped it big time, in my opinion. Sad really. It was entertaining.
I like Simon. There - I've said it. I've always said that as an artist, I would want someone like Simon in my corner. Somebody who calls me on my s**t and tells me when something isn't working. Face it, people, before doing the gig here, he did it over the pond - he's heard many a singer in his day and does have a mainly decent ear. Does that mean that he had it right with Taylor? No, he didn't. I believe they rubbed each other the wrong way on a personal level, which spilled over onto his critiques of Taylor. They probably did so because they share the same birthday. Anyone is well aware that people with birthdays close are going to butt heads or flat out adore one another. I am a prime example - my step-monster and I have about a week between us, and he hates me with a passionate intensity that the sun gets jealous, but my very best friend in the world is four years to the day older than I and my daughter's father 2 years to the day my junior. Simon just really never got Tay. There are lots of people like that, that he is not to their liking. Here's the thing - there's room for everybody. Just sayin'.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341

PostSubject: Re: Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On!   Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:50 am

I don't DISLIKE Simon in that way, I do think that sometime he speaks before he thinks, well most of the time and he doesn't reliaze that many people listen to him like he's God or something, He doesn't think that when he talks and cuts someone down he's hurting someone in some way. I know there are people like that out there, the blunt, forcefull type, I've never been able to do that even to someone I don't care for, so that makes it harder to understand why Simon does. It's amazing that they (Taylor and Simon) were born on the same day even though years apart and yet Taylor is so humble and kind an nice and Simon can be such a jerk at times.. I do believe that in some cases he makes some valid points but they would sound better if he used different wording.. Ok that's just me though I know but that's the way I think I guess..
My granny always said if more people would think before they talk things would be a lot better..
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On!   Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:07 pm

No, I have to agree with that - Simon does need to learn that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar and constructive critisism (sp?) is an art form
~tyg
Back to top Go down
Angie
Administrator
Angie

Female
Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On!   Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 6:01 pm

Simon contradicts himself all the time with the "this is a singing competition" and then later in the show or in another show he says "it's not just about the voice". I agree that he should really think before he speaks. I agree with him sometimes, but I would never talk to people like that even if I didn't like them. I can't do that to people. So I guess I can't understand him much either.

I agree that on a personal level they just didn't "click". Too bad it had to show in Simon's comments towards Taylor. I think Season 5 was the only season Simon got on my last nerve. I've learned to ignore the negative things he says about Taylor or just try not to let it bother him.

I agree too that some people just don't "get" Taylor. You either like him or you don't. There doesn't seem to be an in between for some reason.

I will continue to watch AI though. I think I said before that I probably won't vote. The only time i've voted nonstop for anyone was for Taylor. I just knew he needed to win it. If I knew then what I knew now I probably would have been happier if he came in 2nd 'cause he might be in a better position. Last year I wanted Blake to win, but I hoped he wouldn't just because of what has happneed to Taylor. I'm glad he won. I hope whoever my favorite is this season wins....doesn't mean I'll be voting for them though. Maybe one or two here and there, but not like I did for Taylor. I don't want my phone blowing up LOL

ETA: I really hope I didn't repeat myself from my earlier post. I have such a headache I can't seem to retain much info tonight. My apologizes if it sounded all scatterbrained. LOL HUGS
Back to top Go down
http://www.Idol-Unofficial.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On!   Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Idol Thoughts, May 2: Taylor vs. Simon – Let’s Get it On!
Page 1 of 1