Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

American Idol - Good or Bad for Music?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

American Idol - Good or Bad for Music? Empty
PostSubject: American Idol - Good or Bad for Music?   American Idol - Good or Bad for Music? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 8:35 pm

Everyone in the entire world knows what American Idol is. Some call it a glamorized kareoke contest while others feel it’s a showcase of the finest talents in America. Though I wouldn’t go to the extent by siding with one of the extremes, I do lean towards the side that says American Idol is good for music.

How could a reality TV show that discovered such great artists like Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia Barrino, Jordin Sparks, and Kellie Pickler be bad for music?

There is no doubt that the successful men and women in the American Idol contest have great talent. These artists scored a number of Grammy awards, platinum albums, number 1 hits, and even appear on Broadway and movies. But from these highs, there are certainly plenty of lows.

Winners such as Ruben Studdard and Taylor Hicks have suffered from low record sales and mediocre reviews that eventually canned their careers. It’s a curious thing to take a look at though, because through all the scripts and drama from the judges, and glitz and glamour of television… American Idol is essentially a popularity contest. It is America’s duty to call in and vote for the contestant they believe should win. And FOX always boasts how more people vote for American Idol than for the presidential elections (though there’s one major difference between the two: the majority vote doesn’t always pick the president).

But for Ruben Studdard and Taylor Hicks to win both of their respected years on American Idol, that means the majority of America voted for them, right? I know that you can vote more than once, but it’s clear that everyone votes more than once… so it should still be true that the majority of American liked Ruben and Taylor the best.

But as the story goes, winning American Idol is just the first step to success. Ruben Studdard’s debut album “Soulful” was huge, selling over 400,000 copies in its first week. He even received a Grammy nomination for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance. But then came the collapse. The American Idol hangover was over. His next two albums saw great decline and to this day he doesn’t have a #1 hit single on the radio. Can someone please tell me what he’s up to now? Or is he already under there “Where is he now” file?

As as for Taylor Hicks, he recently split from his record label Arista Recrds and then J records after that. In a statement on his Myspace page, Hicks made it clear that “Artistic freedom and control is an exciting prospect.” But maybe those were the reasons why the labels let him go. American Idol contestants are judged by their unique styles and powerful voices, but the whole time they’re singing other people’s songs and following experts’ arrangements. When they try and do things for themselves, that’s where they seem to fall into a hole.

Take Kelly Clarkson for example. She ran into conflicts during her third album “My December” because of the involvement she had with her music. She parted with her management and boasted that she either wrote or co-wrote all of the songs on the album. Friction followed because her label and management didn’t feel the material fitted her style well, but she was stubborn to change. The result? Well after a set-back of her first nationwide arena tour being cancelled because of underwhelming ticket sales, “My December” has sold over two million copies worldwide.

So what am I getting at with all of this? There’s no doubt that American Idol has an impact in today’s music. But out of the hundreds of thousand contestants, only a handful are actually talented… and from that handful, only a few go on to be successful in the music business. But those selected few have made quite a splash, and the interesting thing is that the winners aren’t the only ones making a name for themselves. Clay Aiken is more popular than Ruben Studdard ever was. And Chris Daughtry is definitely enjoying his post-Idol time more than Taylor Hicks.

Whether you like the Idols or not, well that’s your opinion. But you can’t say that American Idol isn’t brilliant for television, and you can’t say that American Idol is bad for music. Bringing in millions of viewers every week and tallying an extraordinary number of awards and album sales, it’s safe to say that American Idol is a dominant force and will be for a long time.

http://entertainmentblur.wordpress.com/2008/02/19/american-idol-good-or-bad-for-music/
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: American Idol - Good or Bad for Music?   American Idol - Good or Bad for Music? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 10:50 pm

I read this article and all the while was thinking, IF Taylor was given the same consideration in his promotion that Kelly, Carrie and Chris recieved then Maybe JUST MAYBE his Cd would have sold millions as well. It always amazes me reading this stuff that these guys are suppose to be well educated and at least somewhat bright, so why is it that none of them ever see this as we see it. I think that if I was a reporter or such I would do some long over due checking and would report my findings. I mean he mentions Kelly C. and her failing Cd and then BOOM it changed, why doesn't someone ask WHY? Makes no sense to me. Anyway I do think that
AI is good for the music, it's just to bad they don't treat ALL their winners the same and show them all the same graditude and thanks that they show AI.
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: American Idol - Good or Bad for Music?   American Idol - Good or Bad for Music? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 7:59 am

clap Sandi, I agree with your post one million percent as Randy Jackson would say. Taylor never received all the promotion that Chris got. Also mentioned in this article is the fact that Taylor may have lost his contract because of artistic freedom in the choice of the songs. Well I think Taylor does pick great songs to record as I love his first two cds prior to idol. What blows me away is I believe Taylor has sold over 700, 000 copies and they consider that a failure? Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

🎶 Another thing and this is just my personal opinion I feel releasing "The Runaround" as the first single was a mistake. If he had released "Where Ever I Lay My Hat" first I think it would have done better. Even "The Right Place" would have been a good one first as demonstrated at the recent wedding that was shown on Regis and Kelly. But then again I think the people involved with the record company selected the first song to be released and of course poor Taylor had no promotion at all for it. Many radio stations did not even have the cd at all. I know this was true in my area as I called all of them.

👊 In closing I am so sick of hearing about the success of Chris Daughtry because we the Soul Patrol know for a fact that Taylor is so much better than Chris as a singer and songwriter. One last side note: I am wondering with the huge vote that Taylor got why so many people who did vote did not buy his cd. Strange indeed!
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: American Idol - Good or Bad for Music?   American Idol - Good or Bad for Music? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 11:23 am

Good post CC, I would never make it in the Record business, I know I wouldn't, I'd never have a label, Because in a lot of way's I would never let them tell me what I should or shouldn't do. Taylor knows what kind of music he wants and the label stopped him from doing that, Why, I have a feeling that Clive WANTED TAYLOR to fail. He wanted to show America that they voted wrong. Of course this is a stupid explantion but it's logical to me anyway. World wide Taylor has sold over 820,000 Cd's yet they consider him a failure. Oh I get so mad when someone says that. I'd like to take Clive and Nigel and just string them up. I so hope that Taylor has the last laugh on these guys and show's them what's what. I thought now days the answers were something that everyone wants to hear and with Taylor no one is even bother looking for the answer. Oh If I were a reporter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Idol - Good or Bad for Music?   American Idol - Good or Bad for Music? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Idol - Good or Bad for Music?
Page 1 of 1