Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 Empty
PostSubject: The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11   The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:35 am

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 322546 Hello. Tonight's show starts out with a plea from our judges and Ryan to download any of tonight's performances with all proceeds going to Japan and the total devastation those people are facing. I must say my heart goes out to that nation. If you do not want to donate via this show please try to do so via other methods if at all possible.

Now back to American Idol with our usual introductions to the judges Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez (love her dress) and Steven Tyler. Next is our host Ryan Seacrest and finally our top 12. I am so relieved to see Casey Abrams among the contestants. Just a side note here: He had to have two blood transfusions and sadly I do not think this is the last time our Casey will be hospital bound. The ulcer he has does affect the large intestine (Bo Bice all over again I fear).

Okay, enough with the drama, let's talk about our contestants who will sing songs from the year they were born. We get to see alot of adorable pictures of our group along with comments from doting parents and the contestants themselves. Once again Jimmy Iovine and his crew will be working with the contestants on their song choices. Now for our first performance...........

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 72213 Naima Adedapo starts us off with the 1984 song "What's Love Got To Do With It" by Tina Turner. She looks lovely but sadly does not perform the song that well. She has a rough pitchy start and frankly I just felt like something was missing although Naima sort of made it her own. I felt it was mostly blah. Steven of course calls it beautiful and thinks she opened up a can of worms (whatever that means). Jennifer did feel she made it her own but does mention the pitchy notes. Randy is a little more blunt by calling the vocals a mess and she was all over the place. My grade: C

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 957205 Again I am amazed that so many like Paul McDonald who all but slaughters the 1984 song by Elton John called "That's Why They Call It The Blues". He seemed to walking around the stage like he was in a drunken stupor. His voice was hoarse and definitely off-key. I will say I upped his grade a little only because he does have a cold. Another factor was the lyrics were barely understandable to my ears. I was shocked Jennifer thought he sounded good. Randy does mention the off-notes but thinks Paul is bringing something new to the competition like a Ray Montague sound. Steven thought he did go off with the notes but calls him a cool dude. My grade: C-

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 79527 Thia Megia is sweet, has a voice but is turning into one boring act to watch. Tonight she sings the 1995 song "Colors of The Wind" by Vanessa Williams. I thought the vocals were quite good but once again this is a ballad and that seems to be the only type of music young Thia can do. The violin back-up sound good. Randy mentions that the vocals were okay but he too finds her boring. Steven thought she sang it beautifully but wants to know if this is the kind of artist she will always be. Thia answers that this was the best song for her from what she was offered to sing. Jennifer thinks she has a special quality but thinks she is playing it too safe. I agree! My grade: B

:sing: Tonight for the first time I am disappointed in one of my favorites which is James Durbin. He chooses to sing the 1989 song "I'll Be There For You" by Bon Jovi. Don't get me wrong I love this song but James sadly is pitchy at times in it and to my way of thinking seemed to be struggling to get the notes out. Even his high note seemed forced. My good comments are he had good stage presence and sort of made the song his own. Steven liked it but says don't get too poppy. Jennifer flat out loves it (huh?). Randy mentions the pitch but also thinks he made it his own and it was tastefully done. I do have to add a side note here that I think James may be getting a little too cocky. His mention of singing in the finale with Steven was not the thing to say at this stage of the game I think. I hope the voting public will not give up on him but I also hope he tones down that part of his personality at this time. My grade: B-

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 396952 Poor Haley Reinhart just does not show what kind of artist she will be and may be in danger this week I think. Her rendition of the 1990 Whitney Houston song "I'm Your Baby Tonight" seemed to contain country, raspy notes, jazz and some pop all rolled into one. I sort of liked it and felt she made it her own as I have never heard that song sang that way. Randy was confused as I was as he can not figure out what kind of artist she is either although he said the vocals were okay. Jennifer thinks her voice has character but she needs to watch her performance skills. Steven called it sweet and tough but wants more blues. Me too, Steven. My grade: B

clap Finally a contestant I can truly root for as Stefano Langone does the 1989 song "If You Don't Know Me By Now" by Simply Red. He seems to make the song his own and his vocal was quite good. Maybe a little too many runs but overall I really liked this. Randy did too and calls it the best of the night, he slayed it. Steven says beautiful phrasing and over the top. Jennifer thought it was the perfect choice for his voice and I agree. My grade: A

wiggle Pia Toscano once again shows why she is in it to win it as she does an up-tempo rendition of the 1988 song "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" by Whitney Houston. It was a different arrangement with a jazzy retro flavor to it. The vocals were quite good. Steven thinks she nailed it. Jennifer says good, up-tempo, perfect. Randy concurs it was an amazing vocal. My grade: A

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 201170 I think Scotty McCreery is so cute and let's face it he can sing. Tonight he picks the 1993 Travis Tritt song "Can I Trust You With My Heart". His vocal sounds good once again but I have to add this sounds just like every other song he has sang except for a little high note at the end. I do not think the audience cares as they applaud wildly when he is done. I hate to say this but I have a feeling young Scotty might win this competition. I am sure I will never buy his music except maybe one song because all of them will sound the same I fear. Jennifer thinks he pushed it out at the end. Randy says he did Travis proud but take some chances. Steven thinks he is who he is and is going places. Probably true. My grade: B+

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 76735 Karen Rodriguez will probably be bottom three again this week as she gives a tepid performance of the 1989 song "Love Will Lead You Back" by Taylor Dayne. She has a rough beginning, adds Spanish to one of the verses and basically just gives an okay performance overall in my opinion. Randy mentions the rough start and thinks she got better in the chorus. Steven likes her ethnic vibe. Jennifer thinks she needs to attack the song and play to her strengths. I have a feeling she might not get that chance. My grade: B-

:) Sweet Casey Abrams is definitely fearless as Randy calls him. I was surprised his parents were so much older but obviously are a fun couple as we see that Casey is one unique guy. Tonight he plays an electric bass as he does the 1991 song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. Before I give my thoughts I have to admit I hate this song and wished Casey had done either "Lithium" or "Come As You Are". This rendition was certainly different as we actually hear Casey do some very good singing in the beginning but then comes that part that is repetative and it gets a little screeching as mentioned by Jennifer. Steven thinks he is so good, so talented and he gets it. As mentioned Randy thinks he is fearless and is impressed that Casey takes risks like he does. I personally liked the beginning but he lost me at the end. My grade: B

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 833804 Good grief what on earth is going on with so many of our contestants getting sick I wonder. Lauren Alaina has the flu and brings a mask for herself and Ryan. I have to say though that Lauren did a pretty good job singing the 1994 song "I'm The Only One" by Melissa Etheridge. Jennifer calls it very nice, liked the country flavor she brought to it and feels she made it her own. Randy thinks she should have a cold every week as she sounded good. Steven calls her a shining star. I would not go that far but I will say for once I liked her performance. My grade: B+

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 295441 Oh my, Jacob Lusk is singing the 1987 hit song "Alone" by Heart. He starts out a little off-pitch but once he hits the chorus I could feel the chills going up and down my spine. I loved this part. I felt for him when he did not make that high note but overall I thought Jacob did a nice job with this song. Randy calls it very nice, felt he got lost a little but thought he caressed the ending notes quite well. Steven thinks Jacob's mom gave his moxie. Jennifer likes how Jacob gives with his performances, calls him amazing and good. He would have gotten an A from me but I have to consider those off-notes so my grade: B+

lol! Well, our show is now over and my bottom three consist of Karen Rodriquez, Paul McDonald and my third is a tie between Haley Reinhart and Naima Adedapo. I hated to add these last two girls but I have to face facts that their fan bases are not very big and frankly tonight neither was outstanding.

On Thursday's show performances will be given by the Black-Eyed Peas and our own Lee DeWyze. I now bid you good-night and welcome your thoughts. Take care!

Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11   The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Crystal! Well, here are my thoughts on Wednesdays performances. OMG, did they ever start out on a sour note. I was so disappointed in Naima's performance. Agreed with the judges about her pitchy notes. The sad part is....she's so good. It's got to be the nerve factor. And Paul McDonald???? Why is he even in the top 12??? Sheesh! I wanted to cover my ears he was so bad.

On a good note, although Casey's performance was somewhat pitchy I loved the idea he stepped out of the box and showed some real guts. I loved it. James too. Loved that this guy can show more than the total rocker dude vibe he carries. Of course the performance of the night....Stephano Langone. WOW! He nailed it 100%. That performance actually had me thinking of becoming a fan.

All the other perfomances of the night were so so for me. Even Thia Megia didn't wow me. Which is a shame because I really, really like her. So those are my thoughts.

My rating for the whole night: B-
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com

The Year They Were Born - Top 12 - 3/16/11
Page 1 of 1