Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Elton John Night - 3/30/11

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 Empty
PostSubject: Elton John Night - 3/30/11   Elton John Night - 3/30/11 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:44 am

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 299357 Hello all. Tonight's show seemed like it was to be a big deal with our idols performing the music of Elton John, however I found myself in a somewhat of a snoozefest by most of the performances with the exception of a small few. One thing that became clear watching this episode is no one and I mean no one can sing Elton John as well as Elton John himself. Okay, here goes:

Our show starts out with the wording of "Top 11 Redux" which then switches to clips of last week's dramatic moments of the save being used on Casey Abrams. We see clips of an hour earlier when both Casey and Lauren discuss the fact that the judges will never use the save this early in the competition. But guess what "hope has been re-newed but no more second chances" as shown on our screens.

Intros to our judges and of course our host Ryan Seacrest follow. My, my Steven Tyler looks so casual in his outfit and not like a rocker at all. We are reminded that two will go on the Thursday show before our top eleven once again appear on stage.

Elton John music is our theme of the night and we see clips of the great career this man has had with his song-writing partner Bernie Taupin whom he joined forces with in 1967. Together they have worked on 30 albums which has garnered over 50 hits making it to the top 40 charts over the years. Clips are also shown of the flamboyant Elton during the 70's. What wasn't mentioned was the fact that Elton has sold over 250 million albums and has won many awards which include 6 Grammies, an Academy Award, a Golden Globe and a Tony award. Before we get to the performances Jimmy Iovine talks of the genius of Elton's music.

nono Looking so good are our idols as they go the an Entertainment Weekly photo shoot. Each of them talk about how much they are enjoying the glam which with the help of the stylists and wardrobe have made them magazine fodder. Even the photographer says a few words regarding the confidence the contestants showed during this event. Once again I must say each looked quite good.

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 322546 Scotty McCreery is starting us off on the performances with his take on "Country Comfort" which is the only country song we know of from Elton. His choice is usual as it contains the word "country". And of course his singing is once again usual as it's the same-o, same-o that we have heard each week from this 17 year old. I am beginning to think that Scotty may be just a one-trick pony however he does do a little different bit with playing the guitar and I did like that low note at the end of the song. Steven Tyler loved his voice and the shout-out to his grandma. Jennifer Lopez thinks he has amazing instincts and calls the performance good. Randy felt he was at a Scotty concert which felt comfortable and he thinks Scotty could sing this song on his debut album. My grade: B+

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 951557 Naima Adedapo may have cemented her demise with the performance of the song "I'm Still Standing". She gives the song a twist by making it "reggae" with the Caribbean accent which came over a bit cheesy to say the least. I have to give her credit however for making it her own, showing stage presence and getting the audience to sing with her at times. Jennifer tells Naima she loves her as a performer but thinks this might not have been the best song to sing as reggae. Randy agrees with J-Lo and feels the performance came off a bit corny. Steven with his usual off-the-wall remark says "boom shaka laka laka" and feels the song fit her. My grade: B

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 757280 We get a moment of relief from the snoozefest as it seems a new song-writing contest is in the works. Taio Cruz and whomever wins will pen a new song for Coca Cola and it will be featured on the finale which falls on May 25th.

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 17486 Now back to the show which has my least favorite performer on stage in the form of Paul McDonald. He is once again wearing that ridiculous suit of white and flowers as he attempts to sing "Rocket Man". With guitar in hand and just standing there his first line finally sounds like we are going to get a half-way decent performance out of this guy but it is not to be as once again his squeaky voice comes into play during the song. What can I say but this guy's voice is just a turn-off for me personally. Randy on the other hand liked the quiet comfort of his voice although he does mention the off-pitch notes. Jennifer feels Paul is holding back and needs to push it more. Steven agrees but also mentions that the suit Paul is wearing looks like it has been watered as more flowers seem to be on it. My grade: D

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 709577 Pia Toscano is indeed a beautiful woman and looks so classy both at the photo shoot and on-stage as she once again sings another ballad "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me". She sings pretty well with her back-up singers on hand but like Scotty I am getting bored with the same-o, same-o from this woman. Steven thinks she has done it again and feels her performance makes him cry inside. J-Lo also "feels" her. Randy thinks she slays it everytime as a singer but just wants to see something a little different. He and Steven have a chat on this subject before Pia's numbers are given to call. It was good but again I am half asleep with this number. My grade: B+

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 542948 Stefano Langone has tough moments with Jimmy Iovine as Jimmy tries to get Stefano to improve on his performance of the song "Tiny Dancer". Stefano must have appreciated the advice as this time around in my opinion he does better by keeping his eyes open and connecting not only with the audience but also J-Lo. My favorite part was the last few lyrics he sang plus his moment with J-Lo holding her hand. Randy and Steven both mention how he connected so much better this week. Also mentioned was his moving around on stage and Steven thinks he nailed it with his sweet voice. I wonder if he did enough to stick around another week. My grade: B

Wow, it is pretty amazing how much Stefano's dad looks like Howie Mandel who mentions his new show "Mobbed" which will follow after the eliminations on Thursday.

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 468517 The judges are impressed with young Lauren Alaina as she sings "Candle In The Wind". I swear this girl looks so much older than a teen in my eyes. I thought she had sort of a rough start but as the song progressed it got better. I was not crazy about the arrangement nor was I totally blown away with this performance. Good but not great in my opinion. Randy thinks it was Lauren's best performance. Steven is cute as he says "he loved her since she first laid eyes on him" feels she will be around to afford the rest of the dress Lauren has on (it was short in front with a full dress behind it). Jennifer thinks she looked and sounded georgeous. My grade: B

wiggle Finally we get a performance that is not putting me to sleep as James Durbin does "Saturday Night is Alright (For Fighting". He uses the balcony audience as his stage and descends the staircase with a good singing vocal. I loved the stage presence of him going up to the judges, circling the audience, standing on the piano, the fire and of course his big notes. This guy is definitely an entertainer. Steven thinks he brought the heat and feels he has a good rock voice. Jennifer forgot it was a competition and loved his full performance. Randy likes the fact that James seems to enjoy himself so much while performing. Pretty good James! My grade: A

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 79527 Now back to sleepy as young Thia Megia performs "Daniel". She associates this song with her brother who left when she was young. I felt the ballad (another one) was done well but again no oomph until the last line when she sings with some emotion and passion. Jennifer calls it a beautiful moment. Randy liked the relaxed side but comments on the pitchy notes and the song being "safe". Steven feels it was the right song with the right artist and feels she sang it well. My grade: B

lol! Now comes the moment we have all been waiting for as Casey Abrams is next to sing. His choice this week is "Your Song" complete with a new haircut and trim of his beard. He sits quietly on a stool with a piano back-up and pretty much sings the song straight with just a few twists here and there of his growl. I thought he sang this quite well and it was such a change of his last two weeks. This guy proved he can sing and tenderly as mentioned by Randy. Each of the judges are so glad they used the save on this unique guy. Steven feels he sings differently everytime and enjoys it. Jennifer mentions how she slept like a baby after saving Casey last week and is glad because his character this week was tasty. My grade: A

:sing: Jacob Lusk is singing "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word". It takes him awhile to get it together in rehearsal as he has the rare priviledge of meeting Mary J Bligh who happens to be in the studio this week. I felt Jacob made this song his own even though the beginning was not totally to my liking as his voice is so high-pitched for this song. However I loved the passion he showed throughout the song and the second half was fabulous in my opinion. Steven feels he slayed it. Jennifer liked the arrangement which enable Jacob to make it his own. Randy liked the restraint and adds very nice. Overall, very well done I think! My grade: A

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 201170 Our last contestant is Haley Reinhart who opts to sing "Bennie and The Jets". Yeppers Haley does bring out the sexiness and I liked how she started seated on the piano (aka The Baker Boys). Her rasp was infectious in my mind but a little over the top in some areas. No one mentions her rough notes going from actual singing to her growl and Randy even calls this the best performance of the night (huh?). J-Lo thought this was the Haley they loved in the beginning and calls her amazing. Steven of course points out her biggest asset with his comment "you sing sexy". Again I have to say I thought this was fairly good but was not totally blown away. My grade: B+

Elton John Night - 3/30/11 57823 Well on elimination Thursday two will be leaving and I am certainly hoping one will be Paul McDonald. My other two picks for the bottom are Thia Megia and a tie between Stefano Langone and Naima Adedapo (I hate to add this but based on fans and overall performance have to face reality). After last week's upset with Casey I guess anything is possible but I know I voted my fingers off for Casey to stick around. Who are your picks to leave I wonder?

One last note before I sign off is Thursday's guest performers include Jamie Foxx, Will.I.Am and Fantasia (more screaming I wonder). Anyhow, have a great day all!

Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Elton John Night - 3/30/11   Elton John Night - 3/30/11 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 am

I have to admit I was more impressed with the performances this week than any other week so far. My favorites of the night were James (of course), Pia, Scotty, Stephano and CASEY. I just loved the way James used the audience as his stage. Reminded me of Taylor. wiggle LOL I love Scotty and think he has a chance at becoming a country singer (much like Josh Turner with those deep vocals of his) I enjoyed Pia's song even though it was another ballad. She is definately beautiful and in my opinion, can sing my socks off. I worried alittle about Stephano. I wondered if he would take the advice of the judges to heart and connect with the audience. He did it! I was so happy to see that. Yay Stephano!! clap Then came Casey Abrams. OMG, he pulled a rabbit out of the hat. I LOVE IT!!!! And the fact the he trimmed the hair and the beard.....WOW!!! Elton John Night - 3/30/11 451785

Even thought these two girls were favorites at the beginning, Thia Megia and Naima Adedapo really have disappointed me time and time again. Fans on Twitter don't really like them either. AND WHAT'S UP WITH PAUL MCDONALD??? OMG! Elton John Night - 3/30/11 795426 I really did mute the sound so I would not have to listen to him sing again. Ugh! He drives me crazy. Why, oh why are they keeping him on the show. I'm sorry! I just can't get into Haley's singing style. I guess when it comes to the raspy, smokey vocals Taylor has spoiled me. No one does it better than Taylor. JMO And the same with Jacob Lusk. He simply doesn't do a thing for me vocally. Sorry! Lauren Alaina is very pretty and she can sing but so far....she has been so-so.

That all for me. Elton John Night - 3/30/11 817441
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Elton John Night - 3/30/11   Elton John Night - 3/30/11 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 6:18 pm

for the life of me i don't understand why you two hate Paul so bad. He is just as good as anyone else in the running this season, and just as good as many in the past seasons. And better then a lot of them.
I really not a fan of any of them, I just find them boring or annoying. However i think Paul McDonald is just as good if not better then many that been on this season and past.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Elton John Night - 3/30/11   Elton John Night - 3/30/11 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 8:48 am

Well Mae to each their own I say. My complaint with Paul is with every performance we have seen he has been pitchy at one point or another plus to me he sounds like a weak Rod Stewart impersonator. Not my cup of tea at all.

I am kind of surprised that you are not big on Scotty McCreery as this kid does have a good country voice and I know how you like that kind of music.

Hey Deni, I agree with your top picks of the night, they were mine also. I love Elton music but as mentioned I just do not think any of them lived up to how great he does his music.
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Elton John Night - 3/30/11   Elton John Night - 3/30/11 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 2:02 pm

concertcris wrote:
Well Mae to each their own I say. My complaint with Paul is with every performance we have seen he has been pitchy at one point or another plus to me he sounds like a weak Rod Stewart impersonator. Not my cup of tea at all.

I am kind of surprised that you are not big on Scotty McCreery as this kid does have a good country voice and I know how you like that kind of music.

Hey Deni, I agree with your top picks of the night, they were mine also. I love Elton music but as mentioned I just do not think any of them lived up to how great he does his music.

Have to agree with Crystal's comment: To each their own. Paul, in my opinion, has a horrible voice. I'll give him credit for being good looking but why they keeping saving him is beyond my comprehension.
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Elton John Night - 3/30/11   Elton John Night - 3/30/11 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 5:17 pm

yuke - how in the world can James remind you of Taylor. poor Taylor i feeel really bad for him if that is the case. Do you know who reminds me of Taylor?? Taylor - he is one of a kind an original.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Elton John Night - 3/30/11   Elton John Night - 3/30/11 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 12:16 pm

I was speaking from the standpoint that James used the audience for his performance much the same way Taylor did in his season. Vocally...no, they aren't even close. Taylor is definately an original.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elton John Night - 3/30/11   Elton John Night - 3/30/11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elton John Night - 3/30/11
Page 1 of 1