Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Movie Night - 4/13/11

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Movie Night - 4/13/11 Empty
PostSubject: Movie Night - 4/13/11   Movie Night - 4/13/11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 1:09 am

hello Before I get started have to give a shout-out to my grandson Bryan who turned 27 years old today. Happy Birthday!

Could it be that American Idol is finally expanding it's field of songs to sing on any given theme I wonder? In the past I have kind of dreaded "movie night" as it appears we hear the same old songs over and over each year but tonight was a pleasant surprise as we mostly heard new songs from different movies so bravo American Idol.

Now on with the show with a repeat clip shown of the shocking elimination of Pia Toscano last week. Words follow "every vote counts, no one is safe" before our usual opening of this is American Idol.

The judges are introduced as well as Ryan. A big night for our Jennifer Lopez as she was named the most beautiful woman by People magazine. I have to agree J-Lo is quite beautiful but frankly I did not care for that dress she wore tonight. Good to see that Randy Jackson, Steven Tyler and of course Ryan Seacrest appreciate Jennifer.

It is a quick intro for our top 8 before we get to the songs of the night so without further adieu, let's get to the performances.

Movie Night - 4/13/11 396952 Paul McDonald is up first and wearing a pretty wild outfit complete with boots. Randy got it right when he mentioned the Porter Waggoner look regarding Paul. Paul is singing "Old Time Rock & Roll" by Bob Seger which was featured in the movie "Risky Business". For the first time I thought Paul was better than I had seen him before. It was an energetic performance complete with a lady playing the saxophone. Not to say I think his vocals were spot on as I have difficulty getting past his squeaky sound but overall it was not bad. Steven wants to borrow his suit and likes his crazy vocals. Jennifer compared him to a "diamond in the rough" that is getting better. Randy thinks he is doing his thing very well. My grade: B-

wiggle Tonight I thought Lauren Alaina's dress was adorable on her but the boots sort of ruined the look. However she did fairly well with the song "The Climb" which Miley Cyrus sang in the "Hannah Montana" movie. I was not as bowled over as the judges by the vocal as she did hit a off-pitch note here and there and I really did not care for the ending of the song. But overall it was a pretty solid and safe performance from this 16 year old. J-Lo loved hearing her sing so beautifully. Randy thinks she is roaring back and called it an amazing job. Steven loves which she brings to a song and she moved him beyond tears. My grade: B

clap Stefano Langone has been in the bottom 3 so often that he probably could have one as a permanent seat. He talks with Ryan about performance before we see the clip of Jimmy Iovine and Will.I.Am giving him grief about his failures. I really wanted to muzzle Jimmy in the beginning but was glad that both of these guys did try to pep Stefano up at the end. It must have worked because I thoroughly enjoyed the performance Stefano gave to the song "End of The Road" originally by Boys II Men which was featured in the movie "Boomerang". He connected with the audience and sang his heart out (that big note was awesome!). Randy also loved it and felt he slayed it. Steven thought he "milked" it for all it was worth. Jennifer thinks he finally got what the performance is suppose to be. I do too. My grade: A

Movie Night - 4/13/11 72213 Scotty McCreery will be a big hit in the country world I think. Tonight however I was kind of bored with his performance. Originally he was going to sing "Everybody's Talkin" by Harry Nilsson from the movie "Easy Rider" which I think sounded quite good in the rehearsal scene we saw but he ups and changes his number to "I Cross My Heart" by George Strait from the movie "Pure Country". His singing was just okay and I think he was sort of drowned out by the background singers who also let slip a sour note. Steven loves his voice and thinks it was the right song choice. Jennifer calls it really good but was not wild about the choice. Randy thinks "a star is born" with Scotty (which is probably true) and loves he did the George Strait number and calls it "hawt". My grade: B

:sing: A big discussion ensues between Jimmy Iovine and Will on Casey Abrams choice to go jazz. Jimmy is not happy but Will thinks Casey is right in sticking to his genre. I actually would have loved to hear Casey sing "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins but he opts to do a jazz version of "Nature Boy" by Nat King Cole which was in the movie "Moulin Rouge" among others. One thing I have to say about Casey is he is definitely unique and someone you will remember. True his vocals were not spot on tonight but you have to give him credit for sticking to who he is. Overall I sort of liked it. The judges loved it as they gave him a standing ovation amongst kudos from each judge mentioning how brilliant he is. My grade: B

Movie Night - 4/13/11 76735 Haley Reinhart is doing the Blondie number "Call Me" from the movie "American Gigolo". I think this choice was a mistake. Sure Haley has the sexiness to carry a song like this but her vocals were rough in the beginning and throughout the song I felt like she was just trying too hard to make it unique and it wasn't. Randy mentions the rough start and feels like it was a bit karaoke (I agree). Even Steven sort of agrees with Randy but loves her look. Jennifer concurs with Randy also and feels she could be better as she has demonstrated in her last two performances. My grade: B-

lol! Jacob Lusk gets raked over the coals abit from Jimmy for his comment last week before we hear him sing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" from the movie "Pursuit of Happyness". Frankly I would have preferred to hear him sing his first two choices he mentioned but he was sort of talked into doing this song. The entire time he was singing I kept thinking how great Clay Aiken was when he did this number. Why, you ask, well I kept hearing that vibrato Jacob has a bad habit of doing on some notes. His big note in the middle fell flat although his last three notes were quite good. I just was not impressed with this rendition at all. Steven thinks he sings like an angel and calls him incredible. Jennifer says he is a very gifted vocalist. Randy compliments his great control and calls this perfect. Sorry, but I beg to differ. My grade: B-

Movie Night - 4/13/11 924272 James Durbin is certainly a heavy metal rocker as he performs the song "Heavy Metal" from the movie of the same name. The song itself was originally done by Sammy Hagar. While Jimmy did not like the choice at all James sticks to his guns and it was a good move I think. I felt like I was at a concert watching James perform as well as the added touch of guitarist Zakk Wylde. I loved the vocal and the stage presence James displayed. J-Lo calls him really, really crazy but liked it. Randy thinks "Durbin rocks" and was glad he stuck to his guns. Steven calls it outstanding and also mentions his standing up to Jimmy Iovine. I am wondering how Jimmy will treat James in the future should he be one of the top two of this competition. I can see lots of disagreements I think. Anyhow, bravo James! My grade: A+

Movie Night - 4/13/11 201170 Well tonight we definitely saw many different genres on display which was refreshing overall. My bottom 3 are consisting of Paul, Haley and Jacob however I think it might be the end of Stefano sadly. Sure hope not.

Tomorrow night our guests are Kelly Clarkson, Jason Aldean and Rhianna. Quite a variety I think.

It's getting late so I better wrap this up. Have a great day all!

Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Movie Night - 4/13/11   Movie Night - 4/13/11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:12 am

Hi there Crystal. I have to admit I really enjoyed that fact that there were a few changes in the music selection with this theme. It was again a fairly good night for the contestants, in my opinion. Here are my thoughts on each one.

Paul McDonald - Although he gave us a fairly decent performance I still can't get past the squeaky voice. I did love the stage presence. Paul does have lots of energy.

Lauren Alaina - To me this was so-so. She did look very cute in her dress. (the boots..not so much)

Stephano - This guy was on fire last night. I had to agree with Randy's comment. Stephano is finally...FINALLY... in it to win it.

Scotty McCreery - I'm not a fan of Geroge Strait so this song didn't do a thing for me. However, I still like those deep vocals of Scotty's. He is so darn cute, in my opinion.

Casey Abrams - Now Casey brought something different to the AI stage. Those bluesy vocals with the stand up bass was awesome. If I graded this it would be an A-. Great job Casey.

Haley Reinhart - I kinda liked this performance even though it wasn't her best of the last three weeks. Overall, Haley is doing well. She may end up being the last woman standing.

Jacob Lusk - Another voice I just don't get into. Bridge Over Troubled Water is one of my all time favorite songs and I don't think Jacob did any justice to it.

James Durbin - Not a heavy metal fan at all but I loved this performance by James. My grade for this would definately be a triple A+.

If I were to guess who the bottom three were, I don't know. Another tough week for the voters.

NOTE: Crystal, are you having a very easy time getting through during the voting? In the past I would have to dial the numbers dozens of times before getting through. This season I'm having no problem on the first try. Weird!
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Movie Night - 4/13/11   Movie Night - 4/13/11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 2:42 pm

best performance of the night for me was Paul McDonald. it went down hill from there. Then went some went uphill with James. no comment on the performance after that.

that is due to the voting system, a lot of us just don't vote cause we hate the ai voting system. Not having a favorite this year, if i did vote it would be base on performances and may vary each week. Like if i voted last night i would of voted for Paul and threw in some for Jacob. Next week it could be totally different. however i don't like the voting system doesn't make any since to me and therefore i don't vote.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Movie Night - 4/13/11   Movie Night - 4/13/11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 5:21 pm

To answer your question Deni, I too have not had any problems getting through each and everytime. Only once did I reach a busy in the last few weeks and that the week after Casey was saved.

I am figuring they must have several lines for each contestant.

Anyhow we shall see who goes home tonight. I voted extra heavy for Casey because so many on the AI site hated his performance. Oh well, to each his own.
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Movie Night - 4/13/11   Movie Night - 4/13/11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 6:31 pm

yea i didn't hate his performance it was pretty good, but for me Paul's was better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Movie Night - 4/13/11   Movie Night - 4/13/11 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 am

Glad to it hear it Crystal. I thought maybe I was getting lucky and my votes were getting in early. My votes have been going for Casey too along with James, Stephano and Scotty. As far as the girls are concerned, I'm not too thrilled with either one. Just so sad Pia left. But she isn't doing bad from what I've read since her departure. So, with that thought, that's the way I voted.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie Night - 4/13/11   Movie Night - 4/13/11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Movie Night - 4/13/11
Page 1 of 1