Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 Empty
PostSubject: The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08   The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 12:56 am

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 42519 Hi gang! Well, tonight we got our first look at the girls as a whole and have to say some did slightly better than the guys however overall I found much of the performances sterile to borrow a word from Simon. In most of the first part of the show I felt like I was watching the same performance over and over since there are so many blondes this year. For this re-cap let me just say I will not be mentioning their intros much as pretty much everyone said the same thing about their nerves, how they did in their auditions and also Hollywood. Okay, here we go.

:dream: Let me say first that I almost slept through the show and I mean that literally as I was tired and luckily my daughter woke me up so I missed the opening of Ryan welcoming us and the intros to the judges but since we have already heard this so many times I don't think it is that important. I did wake up in time to hear all the performances so that's the good news. The bad news is I could have caught that extra half hour of sleep and not missed a thing considering the performances of the first few girls.

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 833804 I know I am taking forever to get to the performances but also have to say that the judges really ticked me off tonight. I felt like we were listening to different singers as basically I could not believe some of the comments they made tonight. Another thing is I hate these themes as they are so limiting and tonight again the proof was there. Okay, now I am ready to get started.

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 76735 Seems several of the girls have been suffering from the flu and Kristy Lee Cook was one of them. She attempts to sing "Rescue Me" by Fontella Bass. I feel for her being sick but in all honesty I do not think that was the reason for this boring, boring, boring performance. None of the judges were that impressed either and I swear if I hear that sob story about having to sell her horse one more time I might start throwing things. My grade: C-

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 709577 This is the best talent they have ever had? Once again those thoughts click through my brain as Joanne Borgella does a Dionne Warwick song called "I Say A Little Prayer". A very rough start, pitchy throughout and to me sounded off-key. Randy and Paula try to be nice but Simon says it best "I Didn't Like It" and I so agree. My grade: C

🍌 Another sunny blonde is next in the form of Alaina Whitaker who will have a birthday on elimination day. She sings a song we heard last night called "Love You More Today Than Yesterday" by Spiral Staircase. She was not terrible but then she also did not blow me away which was sort of echoed by Randy. Overall, she had good control of the song and showed some confidence singing it. My grade: B

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 924272 Our rocker nurse is next. Amanda Overmeyer says that she will not be singing any Janis Joplin songs which was disappointing for me. Simon, you dog! Instead she sings and scats to a song that has very little lyrics involved. It is called "Baby, Please Don't Go" and was sung in the 60's by a group called The Amboy Dukes. Total disappointment continues during her performance as the guitar player was drowning her out and frankly the arrangement was awful. Randy and Paula liked her but Simon thought it was all over the place and I have to concur. I think she stood out but more for her clothes than anything. My grade: B-

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 79527 Amy Davis sings "Where The Boys Are" originally by Connie Francis. I have to say I loved this song and also the movie that went with it. Amy starts out off-key but does get it together towards the middle of the song. In spite of her nerves she does sound sweet singing it but the judges are not impressed. For me it was just okay. My grade: B-

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 66929 Brooke White is so goody-goody that it is starting to get on my nerve. After her performance of "Happy Together" by The Turtles (yep we had to hear it again), this is when Simon uses that quote I borrowed that she seems so clean and sterile. While this song sounded pleasant I was bored by the time she finished it. My grade: B-

🍺 Another not quite great performance is done by Alexandrea Lushington. Doing Blood, Sweat & Tears "Spinning Wheel" she starts off good and shows lots of stage presence but as the song went along I once again got that bored feeling. Randy and Paula loved it but here I go again agreeing with Simon saying it was like a horrible 60's show and so far that is how the whole night has been going if I am going to be realistic. My grade: B-

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 322546 Finally I hear what I consider a good performance by Kady Molloy. In a controlled and sweet tone she sings "A Groovy Kind of Love" originally by Wayne Fontana. It seemed like a true love song the way she sang it and I was absolutely mortified that the judges did not like it. Simon went so far as to call it like the night of the living dead. WTF? Sorry judges but I totally disagree. My grade: A

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 295441 One of my favorites is next in the form of Asia'H Epperson and she does not let me down. She sings "Piece of My Heart" originally by Janis Joplin in a very bluesy way and shows great stage presence. Finally the judges and I agree that she does a very good job with this song. My grade: A

:surprised: Our short girl, Ramiele Malubay is up next and does a very tender version of "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" by Dusty Springfield. She shows emotion singing this song and I did like it but felt she should have used her big voice more to give the song more depth. The judges love her and overall I thought it was good. My grade: B+

bow Syesha Mercado can sing without screaming, what do you know! Doing the Nashville Teens song "Tobacco Road" (odd choice I thought), she does a nice job with it. I enjoyed her performance until the end when that screaming once again came into play. The judges thought she did well with this number although Randy does mention some pitch problems. My grade: B+

clap I said I would never vote for this girl and I won't but have to say that Carly Smithson did a very nice job singing "The Shadow of Your Smile". It was controlled and right in tune. Randy calls it the best vocal of both nights although I would not go that far. One thing that did bother me was the way she kept pushing the mic away from her face and I felt like I had to strain to hear her sing. Overall though, Carly was very good. My grade: B+

wiggle So now we have heard all the singers and for me the race is neck in neck between 4 guys and 4 girls. No one is what I consider great yet but I do see lots of potential.

Now my thoughts on who should leave of the girls. I think several might be at risk but if it was me I would send Kristy Lee Cook and Joanne Borgella on their way.

:crylaugh: Tomorrow is the results show and no doubt there will be tears and relief for those who are safe for another week. I find myself in a strange position here as I almost do not care who leaves but hopefully the good ones with potential will stick around.

I now bid you good night!

Last edited by concertcris on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08   The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:49 am

I think last night was better than the guys IMO but there were some that I did not care for.

I did not like Kristi Lee's performance at all sick or not, and I so agree with the horse story, one thing that really bothers me about that is She sells her horse to go to the auditions but come on now WHY did she go all the way to Philly? Omaha or CA would have been closer and also for me even going to Philly wouldn't have cost the price of a horse. JMO, but this horse story is starting to sound just that a HORSE STORY...

Joanne did a slightly better job but wasn't thrilled with her performance either.

Alaina did a good job but OMG does this gal remind me of Carrie Underwood, I mean right down to the voice and all. I think that fact alone will get her further than her talent will again JMO

Amanda's performance was just really strange to me, I did not like the song or the way she did it. And she still has the gruval in her voice that she had while doing the JJ songs, I think you gave her a decent grade though but FAR From the best.

Amy, I think was trying to hard, I love the song and the move as you say but she did not do the song any justice IMO. Ithink she was very nervous and uptight, she's a beautiful gal and I think if she can get the nerves in check she'll do better.

As far as Brooke, I think for me her grade is a C or C- did not like it to much, Again to me she seemed nervous and uptight and hopefully that will gt better but this song was not her.

I agree with you 100% on Alexandrea's performance, nothing more to say to that.

Sorry but I have to agree with Simon on Kady, did not like her performance and she seemed surprised that Simon did not like it. Love the song but did not like her doing it.

LOVED Asia'h's performance, I thought she nailed it 100% She was GREAT. I look for her to go a long way. Loved it..

Again Loved Ramiele, for a little gal she does have a powerful voice, OMG, can this gal sing. I liked what she said too about the best thing being there was the hairstylers and the makeup,. Good one..

the judges seemed to like Syesha a lot, and she did a great job but Ididn't like the song for her, did not fit her voice I thought She's ok but not one of my fav.

Carly, DID NOT LIKE her performance at all. I think she was pushing it a lot and NO WAY did she deserve the standing O that Randy and Paula gave her not a chance was she the best of the night or 2 nights for that matter. I will say this about Simon on this one he hit the nail on the head. And I loved what he said about the MIC too, and then Paula and Randy come back and say that's a sign of a PRO. Well they just dug that hole a little deeper for themself with that statement, What is a PRO doing in here. Simon was right on and Thank Goodness he said what he did. Finally Simon is right on..

My favorite last night was Asia'h. Loved her and now we'll see what the voters say, I believe that Amy and Alexandrea will go tonight butthat's just my guess or maybe Amy and Joanne. I'd almost bet Amy goes though. We'll soon see huh??

Thanks so much CC for the recap, you do have a way with words.. And you are so right on...

Bit Hugs for all your recaps. The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 924272
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08   The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 1:46 pm

God bless her for the recaps. I have no free time at all - this helps me tremendously.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08   The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Girls - Slightly Better - 2/20/08
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Reality Music shows :: American Idol-
Jump to: