Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Empty
PostSubject: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:36 am

:welcome1: Notice all my eights in the title? Have I been on line too long or what? teehee. Okay, let's talk about the show that sadly did nothing to really inspire me overall. Ryan again in a suit introduces our judges and contestants and also mentions the big show coming on tomorrow night. I was very disappointed with the song choices as I was hoping that in keeping with the theme of this week we would hear songs that inspire everyone instead we hear songs that inspire the contestants. Also what was Paula thinking wearing that dress that left very little to the imagination. Well, enough with the gripes, here is my take on the performances.

lol! Michael Johns tries to show his so-called rocker edge by doing Aerosmith's "Dream On". I so like this guy better doing his bluesy vibe but this performance was not totally bad. He sings it okay in the beginning but struggles to reach the high notes that Steven Tyler did with ease. I agreed with Randy and Simon that it was a good song choice (not for the theme but for him personally) but they also were not too impressed overall. Paula gave him the highest praise of the 3 by saying he sounded as good as he look although that was not saying much because his tie was weird looking. One last note about this song, if you ever get the chance to hear Ace Young perform this song you are in for a real treat. For Michael. My grade: B

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 76735 Once again Syesha Mercado makes a big mistake choosing to sing "I Believe" originally by Fantasia although Syesha claims she is her idol. Syesha does not even come close to bringing the emotion that Fantasia did singing this song written by Season 1 contestant Tamyra Gray. For me some of Syesha's notes bordered on the screaming we have heard her do in the past although her high note was impressive. None of the judges felt she connected although Paula tried to be nice about it. My grade: B-

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 833804 Sweet Jason Castro is doing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" however it is not the Judy Garland version. I admit I had never heard the version of Israel Kamakawiwo Ole so went to YouTube to check it out. Jason does well with this rendition while playing the ukulele and the judges reward him with great remarks. It was pleasant however once again I really feel no spark when Jason sings. My grade: B

🤷 It is a sad day when I am more entertained by the commercial than the actual show up to this point. However have to say I did enjoy seeing Meatloaf on the break doing a commerical for AT&T.

:surprised: I can not believe I am going to say this but tonight's performance of Martina McBride's song "Anyway" was done pretty well by Kristy Lee Cook. I do not care for her horse stance but vocally she did quite well and actually showed some emotion singing this song. Randy does mention the pitchy notes on the verse but both Paula and Simon liked it. My grade: B

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 72213 Tonight was a total bust for David Cook I think. He is singing "Innocent" by Our Lady Peace. If you had ever heard the original you would know that David messed this song up big time. He practically mumbles the lyrics and overall it was a mess in my opinion. The nicest thing I can say is it was a nice touch having "Give Back" on his hand. Paula calls him the whole package but Randy and Simon do not like it and sorry to say I agree with them. My grade: C-

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 957205 On Season 5, Paris Bennett performed this next song so well. My favorite girl of this season lets me down by not doing a very good job on "The Show Must Go On" originally by Queen. She started out okay but as the song progesses she loses control and sounds not very good. Her excuse was she looked at Simon and lost it. Randy calls it pitchy but okay, Paula does not feel she connected with the song and Simon says she oversang it and came off angry. I kind of agree with that. However Simon does soften the blow by saying she looked good and indeed she did in her black pants, gold belt and green stripe top. My grade: C

:anangel: David Archuleta definitely has the voice of an angel as he sings the song "Angels" by Robbie Williams. Playing the piano, he does fairly well with the vocals although I felt some of his phrazing was a little off. Not his best I think but overall had to agree with Simon he picked the best song choice in keeping with this week's theme. Randy and Paula loved it. My grade: B

:noidea: Brooke White has the pimp spot tonight and is singing "You've Got A Friend" written by Carole King but actually a hit for James Taylor. She does have a few pitch notes but by her teary-eyed expression she is definitely showing the emotion. I hated that dress she had on as it looked like an over-exposed flower however she did a fair job with her vocals. Did it wow me? Well no but as Simon said it was pleasant. Randy and Paula liked it also. My grade: B-

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 201170 This was not a very inspiring night for me as mentioned above but I am sure the fan bases will keep the popular folks in the competition. I am looking forward to Idol Gives Back however and am encouraging all to give if at all possible.

My bottom two are definitely David Cook and Carly Smithson. As for the 3rd not really sure who will make it into the silver chair. I do however think Carly might be the most in danger this week.

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 296366 In wishing you a good night I welcome your comments and I will be back tomorrow with my re-cap of Idol Gives Back.

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 396979
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:44 am

I came home in the middle of Michael Johns performance. I found myself immediately comparing his rendition to Ace Young's and found it completely lacking, and I don't want to even try comparing it to Steven Tyler's. She's right, folks. Check Ace out:

Meanwhile, as usual, I agree with what you've said here. I do hope Carly sticks around a little longer though - she's entertaining. My Mom fell for David Archuletta this week. Guess we'll see, huh?
~tyg
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:54 am

Great great as usual CC. Only one thing differs for me and that is Jason, I thought he did SWOTR very well. and would have given him at least a B+ (ha) I do not care for the song the way Kat did it in season 5, and it was the song not Kat, just not a favorite of mine. But did like Jasons way much better, but the rest you have my feeling exactly. I do AGREE that Kristi did very well and that's something you don't hear ever day is it. But thought she was finally in her zone. David Cook no no, did not like his performance even a little bit and feel the same about Carly and Brooke for that matter. I think Syesha can not pick a good song for her, I think she's trying to show off her voice and in doing so picks the songs that are not suited for her, I really knew she was in trouble as soon as I heard what she was sining, Last week Whitney and this week Fantasia, not good. We all know that NO ONE will ever do a Whitney song good enough for these guys and I've heard them say many times that if someone is going to do an Idol winners song they have to do it BETTER or totally different than the winner did. I knew she was not going to get good marks for that.
Brooke, honestly I'm tired of seeing her sit behind that piano and singing, she has no emotion at all when she sings or at least I don't see it.. As for David A, he does have a good voice and I think he did ok but honestly I don't think this kid has what it takes to stand up to the pressure of an AI win. Just me maybe.

I agree with your bottom two and think once again Syesha will be the 3rd with anyone of them going home,

Tonight is the big night now and does anyone think we'll be surprised with a show of Taylor? NO huh me either..

Oh for a side note, Season 5 this week top 8 the idols say to QUEEN Taylor doing "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and Bucky went home.

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Queen

Bucky

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Bucky
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 6:30 pm

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 527840 for posting you two. Tyg, thanks also for posting the video of Ace. Imagine sounding that good first thing in the morning and acoustic. The version I heard from him was on the Jerry Lewis Telethon and he had a band with him. Totally awesome in my book and yes Michael's version definitely was lacking. I can not wait to buy Ace's cd which is coming out soon.

Sandi, I agree that Jason did a nice job with his song but in reality none of them really blew me out of the water. I am hoping that Carly makes it another week but think either she or Syesha may be sent packing. Guess we will find out tomorrow.

Both of you take care and be chatting with you later I am sure after the show tonight.
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:48 pm

*sigh* I hate being broke. I hope I can find Ace's album in late August when my money comes in for the next semester. I really like Ace a lot - he has such a beautiful heart. And yeah - between Taylor's voice putting me to sleep and Ace's waking me up, *sigh* Yeah, I could get used to that far too easy... *g*
~tyg
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 12:08 am

Bucky left when Chris or Ace should have left. Though in fairness to Chris atleast he knew his song, unlike Ace.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 8:32 am

Ace was good but not my favorite of course, I liked Bucky but not because of his country music but he has a great personality and Chris (giving credit where it's due) was good and I think he's proven that he has the chops but than they all have as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 12:40 pm

I missed the whole show because of "personal reasons". I was not happy but thank you CC for your re-caps. I can't imagine anyone being anywhere near as good as Steven Tyler.

Sounds like David A pulled it out just barely and David C hit rock bottom this week. What a shame!

Last edited by denib on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Well AI 7 just got better - Micheal Johns is finally going home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 10:08 pm

oh mae I was sorry to see MJ leave, he was not my favorite but he brought a little something different to the show. JMO
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 10:53 am

I managed to tune in just in time to see that Michael Johns was voted off. WOW! I was shocked. I honestly thought Jason or Syesha would have hit the road before Michael but I guess I was wrong.
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 1:33 pm

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 833804 Now mae, don't be as cruel as Ryan was on the elimination. Try to remember that even though we may not like some of the group, they went through thousands of people to get our current contestants. I, personally was sorry to see Michael go.
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 11:46 am

Michael was one of four I picked to be in the top four. Rats! Then again, the whole season has gone that way for me. :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08   Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 8 Sing Songs That Inspire - 4/8/08
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Reality Music shows :: American Idol-
Jump to: