Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

'American Idol' domination of music charts

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

'American Idol' domination of music charts Empty
PostSubject: 'American Idol' domination of music charts   'American Idol' domination of music charts Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:48 pm

For the moment, it's David Cook's world and we just live — and download — in it. That would be the conclusion to draw, anyway, from this week's digital-songs chart, where American Idol-atry has truly reached critical mass. Cook's TV coronation anthem, "Time of My Life," debuted atop that chart with 236,000 downloads.

But his success hardly stopped there: "Big" David had a total of 14 songs bow on the digital songs chart. His second-biggest single of the week, "Dream Big," bowed at No. 6 with 111,000 sold, and he claimed a third entry in the chart's top 10, selling 98,000 copies of his cover of U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" (No. 9). Other Cook entries on the digital-songs chart: his maligned-by-Simon rendition of Collective Soul's "World I Know" (No. 14 with 80,000 sold); "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" (No. 21 with 60,000 sold); "Billie Jean" (No. 24 with 56,000 sold); "Always Be My Baby" (No. 29 with 47,000 sold); and "Hello" (No. 32 with 42,000 sold). It's a good sign that, when he gets around to completing an album, Cook should really be able to sell records — in bulk. (Unlike some other recent Idols.)

But Cook wasn't alone in the Idol sales bonanza this week. "Little" David Archuleta's Simon-approved cover of "Imagine" debuted at No. 16 on the digital songs chart with 71,000 sold; his "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" came in at No. 26 with 51,000; "In This Moment" was two spots behind with 49,000; and nine more Archuleta songs appeared in the chart's top 200. Jason Castro was the biggest winner among Idol phenoms whose name isn't David, with a No. 81 bow for his "Hallelujah." Two more Idol contestants broke into the rankings, though low enough to go almost unnoticed: Brooke White had to settle for No. 136 with her version of "Let It Be," which sold 12,000, and Michael Johns' "Dream On" sold a modest 9,000 to enter at No. 187. Another Idol beneficiary: Collective Soul, whose original version of "World I Know" reentered the chart at No. 67 with 23,000 in fresh sales.

Meanwhile, Cook enjoyed the same kind of dominance on Billboard's Hot 100 chart, which combines sales and airplay (and radio has tended to give some Idol contestants trouble in the past). There, he had 11 tunes debut in one week, breaking Miley Cyrus' previous record of six. And not since the Beatles had 14 songs on the chart during one week way back in 1964 has any single performer claimed so much Hot 100 real estate. Simon's last-minute apology is looking smarter by the second, isn't it?

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/05/david-cook.html?xid=email-alert-americanidol-20080530-item2
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: 'American Idol' domination of music charts   'American Idol' domination of music charts Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 9:39 am

woo hoo Sounds like David Cook definitely will be doing well in the music industry. I personally do not download songs but am looking forward to getting his album as well as others from this season.
Back to top Go down
geewindu

geewindu

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: 'American Idol' domination of music charts   'American Idol' domination of music charts Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 5:35 pm

Yep Wooo!!!!!! woo hoo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'American Idol' domination of music charts   'American Idol' domination of music charts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'American Idol' domination of music charts
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Reality Music shows :: American Idol-
Jump to: