Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

'Crush' is surprisingly good!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

'Crush' is surprisingly good! Empty
PostSubject: 'Crush' is surprisingly good!   'Crush' is surprisingly good! Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 6:38 pm

I was not a huge fan of David Archuleta during his tenure on American Idol's seventh season. Sure, as Randy Jackson reminded us (over and over and over), the kid could "sing the phone book," but frankly, a weekly rundown of surnames and seven-digit numbers would've been more interesting (and more contemporary) than the array of drippy, "big issues" ballads the Utah teenager favored on his way to a runner-up finish.

With that in mind, though, I'm glad none of my PopWatch colleagues weighed in on David's first post-Idol single, "Crush," which premiered on Elvis Duran's Z100 morning show Friday morning (while I was enjoying a day off at the Jersey shore), because much to my surprise, it's actually pretty good. I was worried the folks at 19 might saddle David with the kind of bland, soul-crushing production that sent former Idol runners-up like Bo Bice and Diana DeGarmo directly to the bargain bin (without passing go, or collecting a followup major-label release), but "Crush" sounds hip and contemporary. The chorus alone is prettier than a window box of pink petunias, with an epic sweep that evokes waves crashing, thunder rolling, and herds of horses galloping through lush fields -- exactly what a song about the early pangs of teenage romance should do. The lyrics, like a lot of today's top 40 fare, won't win a Pulitzer for poetry, but they won't make you wince, either. (Side note: On my first few listens to "Crush," I was wrongly convinced the last line of the chorus -- "Do you ever think/When you're all alone/All that we could be/Where this thing could go" -- was "Where this sneaker go.") And David adroitly walks the line between giving his core fans their fill of vocal runs while showing enough restraint that he won't automatically alienate non-Idol-loving listeners. In other words, I'm convinced "Crush" (embedded below) is good news for David (a charming kid, as you can see by clicking here and here for the interview I did with him a couple months back), for his fans, and for the general health of the Idol franchise. What say you, PopWatchers?

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/08/david-archuleta.html?xid=email-alert-americanidol-20080805-item3
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: 'Crush' is surprisingly good!   'Crush' is surprisingly good! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 9:37 am

'Crush' is surprisingly good! 322546 This song sounds good to me and I am sure those teenyboppers girls will just love it. I personally like this kid's voice so will probably be getting his cd depending on the songs.

Much success to young David!
Back to top Go down
geewindu

geewindu

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: 'Crush' is surprisingly good!   'Crush' is surprisingly good! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 12:48 am

ehhh. I was hoping for something better. I was just starting to like the kid when the season ended a little, and honestly I don't think this song shows of his voice enough. All the Archie fans I personally know that heard it don't care for it either. Just not my type of music I guess.
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: 'Crush' is surprisingly good!   'Crush' is surprisingly good! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 12:57 am

No, but I know who is :)
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
geewindu

geewindu

Male
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: 'Crush' is surprisingly good!   'Crush' is surprisingly good! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 1:41 am

Haha yeah I bet you do. :)

I do like Kristy's new single however! Kristy's voice on 15 Minutes of Shame is amazing! I really didn't expect her voice to be that good. I wasn't even sure that I liked it at first but I kept playing it and playing it. It's very catchy.

Here's 15 Minutes Of Shame from a month ago...

And here it is as being sold on itunes now...even tho it's only a slight change you'll definitely notice it...

Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: 'Crush' is surprisingly good!   'Crush' is surprisingly good! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 2:31 pm

honestly i just don't get season 7 at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: 'Crush' is surprisingly good!   'Crush' is surprisingly good! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 12:38 pm

I had the chance to listen to David A's new single. It's not bad. I agree...he has a good voice and with alittle more experience behind him David will do well. I can see David being the next Donny Osmond. Remember how the girls went crazy over him?
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: 'Crush' is surprisingly good!   'Crush' is surprisingly good! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 12:40 pm

should we send him some purple socks???
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: 'Crush' is surprisingly good!   'Crush' is surprisingly good! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 1:00 pm

OMG....no! I think David needs something different to identify himself with. Purple socks? ~shudder~

Think about this for a moment:
Elton John - all those funky glasses.
Donny Osmond - purple socks
Taylor Hicks - harmonica
What could David A possibly use to make him unique?
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Crush' is surprisingly good!   'Crush' is surprisingly good! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Crush' is surprisingly good!
Page 1 of 1