Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor Empty
PostSubject: Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor   Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 7:48 pm

An interview Taylor did back in March with Birmingham Magazine.

Taylor Hicks became a household name even before he won American Idol in 2006. The gray-haired Birminghamian crooned his way into America’s hearts and was warmly received upon returning to the city where he was raised.

Three years later, Hicks has dabbled in nearly every aspect of the entertainment industry. He made his major label debut with a self-titled album after American Idol, and in November re-released his older, independently-produced work on a single disc titled Early Works. Hicks also penned an autobiography, Heart Full of Soul, and is now on tour with Grease in the role of the Teen Angel, a role he also played on Broadway.

His new album, The Distance, drops today. This is Hicks’ first album since finishing his American Idol contract, and last week we spoke about the changes and what’s next in his career.

Birmingham Box Set: How have things changed since you left the American Idol contract?

Taylor Hicks: I tell people it’s like sitting on a rocket ship. The amazing ride has just been non-stop. It’s wonderful. The stuff that I’ve been able to do, the tour through Asia, the way that my music has gotten out to the people—not just here, but across the world—it’s just been an amazing opportunity.

BBS: Did being independent affect the recording process for this album?

TH: I don’t think so. I think it starts with the artist. … You have to start with the songs and what you’re instinctively gravitating toward with songwriting, artistry, performing. And it all starts with the artist.

BBS: How did you choose songs for this album?

TH: I spent a lot of time with really great Nashville songwriters. I just kind of had a good bit of time to be able to experience, you know, what songs really fit my style and what really kind of fit what made up my artistry.

BBS: Is that Elliott I heard singing on “Woman’s Got to Have It”?

TH: Yes.

BBS: So you keep up with the guys from Idol, then?

TH: Oh yeah, we all talk to each other, sometimes we text message each other. When you go through that experience, you do really get close with a lot of people, so we do really keep up with each other.

BBS: Are you going to be able to tour in support of this album, what with being on tour with Grease?

TH: I am doing an intimate club show tour, a shadow tour that shadows the Broadway show. I will be doing a really intimate, cool shadow tour, small settings to gear up for the tour of the record. The run for Grease is up for December, but I will be hitting all kinds of different cities along the way in small shows.

I’m also singing the single, “What’s Right is Right,” after every show. It’s a really great way to expose fans all across the country with my music.

BBS: How has being on tour with Grease affected you as a singer and musician?
TH: I think the more experience you can gain from the stage, the better. I think the most important lesson that I’ve had is the acting lesson. I’m just now starting to learn about acting and role playing and this is a wonderful way to do it.

BBS: Do you make it back to Birmingham often?

TH: I get to see my family once in a while. But right now things are so busy, it’s tough to get back. I do try to get back as much as I can.

BBS: What’s ahead for you?

TH: I think maybe a movie, hopefully.

BBS: You’re going for every part of the entertainment industry, aren’t you?

TH: I’m hoping to, but right now Grease is the word. I’m having a ball, it’s a blast.
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor   Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 1:51 am

{TH: I am doing an intimate club show tour, a shadow tour that shadows the Broadway show. I will be doing a really intimate, cool shadow tour, small settings to gear up for the tour of the record. The run for Grease is up for December, but I will be hitting all kinds of different cities along the way in small shows.}

Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor 527840 This is a great interview, Sandy. I desparately hope this means he will finally...FINALLY...solo tour at the beginning of next year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor   Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Solo concert? Oh I sure hope so, I really need a Taylor fix, it's been a long time and I'd have a better chance of seeing him at a closer location than during the Grease tour..
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor   Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 12:34 pm

I know what you mean. Satisfying a Hicks fix is long overdue.

All Grease did for me is give me a craving to see more of him. It's not enough to watch tons of YouTube videos and interviews, ect. I want to see some 'real' Taylor Hicks.

If I can swing it I might be able to go to Birmingham in September when he performs at the WorkPlay. But it's so far off and...well...I'll see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor   Birmingham Magazine interview w/Taylor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1