Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta Empty
PostSubject: Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta   Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 7:42 am

Taylor Hicks interview for “Grease” show at Fox Theater August 11-16
10:26 am August 10, 2009, by Rodney Ho

Taylor Hicks three years ago said his life ambition was to live on a bus and just play music.

After winning “American Idol,” the prematurely gray-haired soul singer has gotten that wish. He has no house, no rent or mortgage, no utility bills. “I’ve been living out of a suitcase since 2006,” he said in an interview last month to promote his role as Teen Angel in the national tour of “Grease,” which is at the Fox Theatre. “My bills get sent to my parents.”

But even a vagabond like Hicks says he actually would to have roots again someday.

“I’d like to have some home setting in five years, some sort of anchor,” he said.

Of course, Birmingham is his hometown. But Atlanta, he said, is “like a second home,” given how many friends and family he has here. He will also make a return visit to Smith’s Olde Bar on Saturday after his final “Grease” performance. This is where he also performed in 2006 during the “Idols Live” tour.

Hicks not only sings “Beauty School Dropout” in a shiny outfit during the play but during the encore, he gets to sing his latest single “Seven Mile Breakdown.” “It allows fans new and old to see me in two different lights,” he said. “One as an actor performer, the other as a singer songwriter.”

He also signs CDs after the show. So far, he’s sold about 38,000 copies of his current album, “The Distance,” a far cry from the 704,000 for his post-’Idol” victory self-titled album in 2006.

“I think 100,000 is attainable,” he said. “As an independence artist, that would be substantial.”

Hicks knows he helps get Soul Patrol fans into seats, which is why the touring company booked him. “The fan base is definitely there,” he said.

The Fox shows were added after Hicks had prior commitments so he’s only doing the shows from August 11 to 16, although the tour has been at the Fox since Friday.

Hicks is also unfazed by the fact Web sites such as TMZ mock him for not being a monstrous Carrie Underwood-level success. “If they talk about you, then deep down, they love ya,” he said. “If they don’t, then you have problems.”

Simon Cowell, for instance, could barely tolerate him during the actual show but Hicks was amazed to see him give Hicks a standing ovation earlier this year when Hicks came back to perform “Seven Mile Breakdown.”

Hicks said this is the first year since he won that he’s had time to follow the show carefully. He wished he could have played an instrument like contestants can now (an innovation added season seven.) “I had to wear paisley shirts and dance really funky,” he recalled. “I was told if I even pulled out a harmonica, I’d be disqualified. I did it anyway. And they didn’t disqualify me.”

Hicks, ever the diplomat, refused to name favorites. His favorite performance was “Slow Ride” with Adam Lambert and Allison Iraheta, a 70s classic rock song.

I had Hicks answer fan quetsions. Holley Dey wondered if he plans to tour for his album after “Grease” is over with next year.

Hicks is not sure but probably. He is doing some one-off shows in cities like Atlanta to work on material.

She also wondered if he’d be doing anything for country music?

“That’s the direction I’m heading. That’s where great songs can live. I think there’s no question I have those influences. Country and the blues. And that southern country rock sound. And with a name like Hicks, it’s a perfect fit!

Mhowmart (no name, just the email name) asked:

It seems that without a big name record label it is hard to get played on the radio. Do you think it is really necessary to have a big radio hit to have a successful career?

“I think having a great song is the key. It’s not necessarily which medium. Radio helps. But nowadays, there are so many other ways to get your work out there.”

I then asked if he felt badly that he hasn’t sold albums the way the other winners have, relatively speaking.

“For me, I just knew this is a body of work. It’s a marathon, not a sprint for me. As an entertainer, I think adaptation. You have to be able to be versatile in this business.”

“Five or six years ago, if someone said I’d be a Broadway performer, I probably would have said no way. But because I’m such a live performer, there’s a certain degree of acting when you sing a song. It’s very fitting. It makes complete sense.”

I also asked what he liked about “Grease” itself, one of my favorite musicals of all time:

“Grease is iconic. I love the idea of high school. The storylines are iconic. I think people gravitate to that. And you can educate kids on the looks of the ’50s. It’s a little bit of an education thing. You see the pompadours and the kids smoking cigarettes.”

From Judy Morton: I love how Taylor “tags”, “blends” songs together.

I have always wondered if he knows ahead of time what words will come out of his mouth or is this somewhat ad libbed?
Either way, it is awesome!!
Love Taylor’s style and unique performances.
Just saw him at the Triple Door in Seattle and I am still on a high!

“I have musical Tourettes Syndrome,” he said. “Van Morrison did tagging a lot. Sam Cooke. All the greats. They are all musical enough to incorporate other songs. Let’s face it. Songs come from other songs. And no, it’s not preplanned. It’s spontaneous thinking.”

Carol Bachelier, another Soul Patrol fan asked:

“Taylor, where do you see yourself in 5 years?”

“I will hopefully have found some kind of home.” He said he lived with his parents for two months after winning “Idol.” “They joked that I was the only celebrity who lived with his parents!”

Hicks is not the most introspective guy. When I asked him another fan question from Michelle in Indianapolis, he was relatively stumped.

What have you learned about yourself personally since winning AI?

He hemmed and hawed, then said, “How about this: I’m happier since I won. I’ve learned to be happier!”

Mary Kissel of Owensboro Ky. asked:
How has musical theater improved his skills as a vocalist? I was a big fan during Season 5, and as good as he was then, he’s 100 times better as a singer and performer now.

“I think it’s a progression. I’ve definitely trimmed up. I’ve definitely taken control of my career.” [hmmm.. he didn't quite answer the question but close enough.]

Barbie from Fla. asked: as a NASCAR fan, would you ever consider driving the pace car at a nascar race if they ever asked you.

“I did drive a pace car at a NASCAR truck series race. And I’m a huge NASCAR fan. I’ve sung the National Anthem at some NASCAR events. Being in the pace car was a little scary. You’re supposed to go 80 to 90 miles an hour. I might have cracked 100 on a straight away.”

He then added that “people who know me tell me I’m the worst driver. I think my driving record is pretty darn good. I do go extremely fast. Sometimes I do get tickets.” He said he has gotten out of speeding tickets in the past given his fame. “I’ve taken pictures for women at dispatch,” he said.

During the tour, he hasn’t driven much since he’s on a tour bus. “Sometimes I just rent a car so I can drive. I’m not joking. I get in a car and speed excessively,” he said. But the bright side: “I have less of a chance to get tickets.”

Jennifer Jacobs asked: I think you are at your very best as a live performer. Do you have any plans to do a live album in the future?

“A live album is in the works. I’m going to release a DVD called Whomp at the Warfield out of San Francisco. It was taped two years ago.” Why did he wait? “We wanted to make sure we had this second album out, then follow it up with the DVD.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/american-idol-blog/20...rican_idol_blog
Back to top Go down
naynaystay71

Female
Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta   Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:36 am

"Musical Tourette's Syndrome" That's a good one. Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta 610414
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta   Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 11:14 am

The only celebrity living with his parents. Ah Taylor, I'll be more than happy to be your room-mate when you decide to settle down. LOL
Good article ! Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta 839840
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta   Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 11:52 am

I have always said that I wouldn't want to be in Tay's band. The tags popping up all over the place - it has to be hell trying to keep up. That being said, that was a fun interview and it looks like several friends of mine got q's answered - whoohoo!
~tyg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta   Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taylor interview w/Rodney Ho, access Atlanta
Page 1 of 1