Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Grease is the word! (Review)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Grease is the word! (Review) Empty
PostSubject: Grease is the word! (Review)   Grease is the word! (Review) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 8:58 am

August 12, 1:59 AM

Atlanta Unique Arts Examiner
Monica Hill

There's a first time for everything and last night, at the Fabulous Fox Theatre was a night of many first. Like, Taylor Hicks, an American Idol winner, who took the stage in Grease, as Teen Angel, of course, here in Atlanta, for the first time. In which, he also made his Broadway debut. Another first timer for Grease, a musical production from the 70's about teen life in the 50's, was the music from the original movie soundtrack added to the play.

The crowd at the Fox was pumping with anticipation from the opening to the curtain call. There were even faithful Grease fans dressed in the traditional Sock Hop attire. How Cute?! Grease, has always delivered to an audience of musically and theatrically crazed fans. So, there's no first there. Especially, when it's roots involved John Travolta and Olivia Newton John, in their primes. Owwww! What else can I say, these two were a hot pair, everyone knows it. To say the least about the leads in last night's performance, they didn't come close.

John Travolta's follow up, Eric Schneider, shared the same good looks and great voice as his predecessor, but, unfortunately couldn't dance a lick. And, Sandy was just flat and boring. I know Danny was meant to be a laid-back cool-cat and Sandy was supposed to be square, but, I kept waiting for him to bust a move or for her to bring life to the role, but, nope--- never happened. That didn't matter very much anyway, every one else in the cast stole the show! Who says the lead is always the star of the show, not this time.

Grease, the actual musical, was the star of the show! Which, come to think of it, brought a better total performance, by eliminating all the "celebrity glare". Taylor Hicks serenaded the audience with the tune, "Beauty School Drop-out", played a little harmonica, and broke out! Perfect. His fans chose to stay around after the show to get autographs from the pop idol and check out his new CD, Distance. The true Grease fans were not bomarded with the American Idol era of stardom within the show, it only added some flare.

My favorite character was DJ Vince Fontaine, who opened the show with Bebop mementos and an interactive song and dance warm-up with the audience, followed by a subtle speech on theatre etiquette. " Don't forget to turn your cell phones off ---- and no recording of any kind!" says the DJ, with the same nervous leg twitch as Elvis and overly-gelled Mohawk as the Fonz. Nice touch. During the last Scene when the cast sang the classic, "Your'e the One that I Want," I fell in love all over again. Overall it was a blast down memory lane, and I loved it!

Grease is the word and the Lighting (yes, fellas, the car was in the show too) won't stop until after August 16th, so get your tickets swift jack!

For tickets and information on showtimes: http://www.foxtheatre.org/

http://www.examiner.com/x-2202-Atlanta-Uni...the-word-Review
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Grease is the word! (Review) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grease is the word! (Review)   Grease is the word! (Review) Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 9:25 am

woo hoo It's always nice to hear the positive about our Taylor.

Taylor Rocks
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Taylor Goodies :: Anything Taylor-
Jump to: