Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation Empty
PostSubject: The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation   The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:12 am

Simon Cowell called tonight's episode of American Idol "officially the strangest show we've ever done," and I don't know about y'all, but from where I sat inside the Idol studios at CBS Television City, I'd say Simon was referring to that glorious moment when, halfway through the show, Paula Abdul critiqued both of Jason Castro's songs after he'd sung only one.

Let's take a quick step back. With the final five contestants each cramming two Neil Diamond tunes into the hour-long production, it was indeed an unusually frenzied evening, and the judges refrained from commenting on the singers' first songs. At the end of the first half of the show, Ryan invited all the Idol contestants on stage and then had the judges run through their thoughts on the first half of the show. (Stage manager Debbie Williams had to step on stage herself to motion the Idols to come out to the stage, as if, perhaps, this half-way check-in wasn't entirely planned.) Randy shocked no one —"just OK…doing your thing…the bomb"—and then, with executive producer Nigel Lythgoe and Debbie watching from the wings, it was Paula's turn.

"Oh gosh—we've never had to write these things down, uh, fast enough," she said. "Jason, the first song, I loved hearing your lower register, which we never really hear." So far so good. "Um, the second song, I felt like your usual charm, it was missing for me. It kind of left me a little empty." Huh? The audience began tittering with confusion, and Nigel and Debbie both began quietly freaking out. Paula continued, unaware. "The two songs made me feel like you're not fighting hard enough to get into the top four." By this point, several audience members were openly cracking up, Debbie had to stop herself from stepping on camera to end the madness, and Nigel was frantically gesturing a single finger to anyone who could see him: ONE SONG! THEY'VE ONLY SUNG ONE SONG!

"So, David Cook," Paula continued, until Randy saved the day: "Oh, they've just done the first song though, just the first one." The tension was finally broken with this apology (of sorts) from Paula: "I thought you—Oh my god, I thought you sang twice!…You know what, this is hard! You know what, I'm looking at, it's your notes, David [Cook]. You were fantastic." As Simon swooped in for his chance to scold the Idols, Nigel stepped off stage to, I'm assuming, get the on-site EMTs to give him some oxygen. At the ad break, the judges were all whisked out of the studio, Syesha Mercado, David Cook, David Archuleta and Brooke White left waving to the audience, and Jason Castro was left on a stool, stage center, contemplating what, exactly, had just happened. (Get more on last night's shenanigans in Slezak's TV Watch.)

A Fox spokesperson declined to comment, and Paula's rep did not return e-mails seeking comment. Below is the clip in question. What do you think, PopWatchers? Was this just an honest mistake, or did the whole event strike you as bit more...curious? (If you're looking for our regular on-the-scene write-up, don't fret, it's coming soon. It's just that this was too juicy not to bring up as soon as possible.)

Video link below
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1529573060/bctid1529520180
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation   The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 am

:nono: Good grief, I honestly think they are making too much of this blunder on Paula's part. Okay, she got confused, so what I say. For crying out loud the whole show was so rushed who wouldn't be confused. The whole night was strange indeed and it could have been that Paula had already heard all the songs in rehearsal. Why oh why does the media have to stick their big fat noses into every little thing. Paula apologized and so with that being said, let's move on, okay?
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation   The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 11:49 am

could this prove that the season been scripted and rigged all along???
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation   The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm

Poor Paula. She probably wished the earth would swallow her up right about then. However, I've got to agree with mae that maybe this thing is scripted. Hmmmmm! :tsk:

And CC, The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation 399539 with your comments about the media sticking their fat noses into every little thing. Sometimes it's just not worth reading about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation   The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 8:04 pm

In my opinion and with this show I do believe it was script. If one thinks about it this show thrives on contrversery (sp) and what better is there than this, especially with the show all of a sudden concerned about the ratings. Let me put it this way I hope it was because boy they were ruthless to and about Paula on the AI boards last night, Calling her a drunk and a druggy the works, I know Paula does not drink and she does take meds for her injurys and I told the poster on AI that they were being way to hard on her and that everyone makes mistakes even them. Oh well. They'll over come this just like all the other things they've overcome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation   The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Paula Abdul 'Idol' gaffe heard 'cross the nation
Page 1 of 1