Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role Empty
PostSubject: Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role   Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 10:22 am

After winning "American Idol" a couple years back, Taylor Hicks didn't go on to sell nearly as many records as fellow "Idol" champs Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson.

But the silver-haired singer from Birmingham, Ala., remains upbeat and is following in the footsteps of Season 3 winner Fantasia Barrino ("The Color Purple") by making his Broadway debut in "Grease."

Taylor called from Manhattan on Monday afternoon to talk about his latest gig, which kicked off last Friday.

"It's definitely country come to town," he said of his presence in the Big Apple. "The traffic, all the people and the fast pace that New York is an adjustment. But I love it and I'm starting to become more comfortable with my role in the show."

The role is that of Teen Angel, played by Frankie Avalon in the 1978 movie version, and Taylor gets a nice, big solo in the production.

"The music is classic and the part is a perfect fit," he said. "I couldn't turn down the opportunity to perform on Broadway for the first time."

But don't expect an imitation of Avalon or anyone else. Like everything else he does, the 31-year-old performer said his number has been "Taylorized."

"The great thing about this role is I was able to be Taylor at the same time as Teen Angel," he said. "It allows me to get my feet wet a little bit before I really dive into acting."

He will be living in New York until at least Sept. 6, when his run in the show is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
due to end. But he will be multitasking all summer: writing songs for a new album planned for later this year and an appearance on "A Capitol Fourth," which airs live on July 4 (on PBS).
Taylor will join such stars as Huey Lewis and Jerry Lee Lewis on the west lawn of the U.S. Capitol and he will be performing "This Land is Your Land" as well as songs "Dancing in the Dark" and "Heaven Knows."

"The numbers will be Taylorized," he promised. "You just gotta put as much soul as you can into it."

So what did he think of this season's "Idol" competition and the champion, David Cook?

"I think he's got a great shot to be successful in the pop-rock genre," he said. "He's an accomplished instrumentalist and it was nice to see that on the show this year. I wasn't allowed to play harmonica or guitar."

Taylor's self-titled first album after winning "Idol" reached platinum status but was still considered a disappointment and he parted ways with his record company earlier this year.

I wondered if he felt more pressure to succeed as a former "Idol" champ?

"What's the measuring stick for an `Idol' winner? Is it sales? Everyone has their own opinion," he said. "I'm not worried about it at all. I'm just excited to be an entertainer.

"It is a wild ride (winning `Idol') and it still is. You have to just understand that you've been working as an entertainer for years and want to keep working and you have to re-invent yourself. Some of these things that I'm doing now, it's going to allow me to do that."

Whatever the sales of the upcoming album, Taylor is confident the effort will be better music than his first.

"This time around, I've just had the time to be able to write music," he said. "You're really under the gun to create an album in a short period of time post-`Idol.' With this next album, I'm going to be able to breathe."

woo hoo Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role 600701
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role   Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 8:13 pm

you go Taylor, Show this world just who Taylor Hicks is,

I can not believe how happy he looks in all the pictures and all the videos I've seen He is living his dream to the fullest and I am so happy for him.
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role   Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:17 am

Dd I read that right? Getting into acting? Maybe that gorgeous smile on a big screen near me???? *faints*
~tyg
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role   Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:54 am

I know huh! I think its cool that he is spreading his wings :)
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role   Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 1:34 pm

spreading his wings and working on bringing us MORE Taylor is great with me.
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role   Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:30 pm

tygrlllie wrote:
Dd I read that right? Getting into acting? Maybe that gorgeous smile on a big screen near me???? *faints*
~tyg

in those beautiful big brown eyes *faints*
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role   Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 8:54 am

🆒 I am so happy hearing how Taylor is not letting anything get him down and he is continuing to live his dream in spite of the negative side of American Idol. I just can not wait to get more Taylor music!

Wow! Taylor being in acting would be so cool and I am sure this run on Broadway is letting him get some experience in that area.

Simply adore our soul man!

Taylor Rocks
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role   Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 8:29 pm

concertcris wrote:
🆒 I am so happy hearing how Taylor is not letting anything get him down and he is continuing to live his dream in spite of the negative side of American Idol. I just can not wait to get more Taylor music!

Wow! Taylor being in acting would be so cool and I am sure this run on Broadway is letting him get some experience in that area.

Simply adore our soul man!

Taylor Rocks

I agree CC, Taylor was and is being treated very badly by AI I for one do not understand why they would even want to do that, I know they had the win going to Chris, I know that he (Chris) was the one they banked on and all that but when you give the public a chance to speak they should respect what is said. We spoke they didn't listen. But to continue to keep treating Taylor like a second class winner is so wrong and for him to smile and say Oh Well I'm living my dream and will continue to do so with or with out AI's support SHOULD tell them just what kind of a winner he is. I honestly don't get it. They ar ehuring them self more than anyone else, Even some of the die hard Chris fans have said it was wrong to treat him that way, and for me that's a step in the right direction.. If only AI was listening...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role   Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hicks `Taylorizes' Teen Angel role
Page 1 of 1