Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10 Empty
PostSubject: Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10   Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10 Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:23 am

Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10 42519 Hello gang. Before we get started on tonight's show I have to comment that I felt like I was on another planet as I mostly disagreed with the judges comments about our contestants. I know I was hearing something different than what they heard but of course this is just my opinion. Anyhoo, let's get started.

Our show opens with Ryan Seacrest descending the staircase as he comments that over 100,000 people tried out for the show but we are now down to the final five; Lee, Casey, Aaron, Mike and Crystal. He asks "who will rise to the top"? However they do have a superstar to back them up. Harry Connick Jr. is on hand to say "this is American Idol".

Now the actual show begins with Ryan welcoming us, the judges and of course our top 5. Briefly we hear of the departure of Siobhan Magnus last week.

clap Harry Connick Jr. is the mentor tonight and I have to say I thought he did a great job with the contestants. He is a singer, songwriter and musician who has had great success with his career. Not only did he do the score for the music from the movie "When Harry Met Sally" but he also has won 3 Grammies and 25 million in sales from his albums.

We see clips of Frank Sinatra who also had a thriving career for 6 decades. His voice and classic smooth style has made him an legend for years to come. Seems there is a successful Broadway play honoring this icon called "Come Fly Away". Now that is a play I would love to see.

Before we get to the performances we see that Harry was a true asset as he gave each contestant a supportive arrangement, brought his band to play for them and also was on stage playing the piano for each performance. Harry mentions his admiration for Frank Sinatra and says what is important is the lyrics but respect the melodies as well. Frank's two daughters Tina and Nancy are in the audience (wow, I thought Nancy looked awful). They have brought a special gift for Simon Cowell who is a big fan of their father's. It is a monogrammed hankerchief. Simon is over-whelmed and grateful for this gift.

Now for the performances:

wiggle Aaron Kelly is up first doing the Sinatra classic "Fly Me To The Moon". I thought he was a little off-key in the beginning but as he sang it got better. Sadly the ending was a little weak but kudos to this kid for giving it his all. Randy calls it a really good job. Ellen thinks he pulled it off. Kara thought it was good but not as good as last week. She does not see any charisma from him. Simon thinks it lacks conviction and agrees with Kara. My grade: B

Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10 88275 I totally disagree with the judges on the performance of Casey James. Tonight he sings "Blue Skies". He did appear somewhat awkward without his guitar however I thought he sounded quite good on the vocal. Randy says it was his worst performance. Ellen says he was too stiff and agrees with Randy. Kara says it took time for him to warm up and mentions his voice sounded like a lamb (watch that vibrato). Simon plainly says he was not fantastic although the band was. I just do not get these comments at all. My grade: B+

Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10 295441 Crystal Bowersox looks so elegant tonight with her black lacy dress and hairdo. Great look for sure. She is singing the song "Summer Wind" which has a personal connection for her. While I was not wild about the song itself I loved how she delivered it. Very classy I thought. Randy calls it a little sleepy at the beginning. Ellen admires her different sides as a performer. Kara kind of like it. Simon thought the second half was better. I personally liked how Crystal stood up to the judges on their comments. My grade: B+

Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10 201170 Mike Lynche looks quite debonair tonight with his suit and hat. He is performing "The Way You Look Tonight". I was not blown away by his performance however as to my ears some of his wording did not sound very clear. It was good overall but not great I think. The judges however praised him to the hilt. Randy loved the arrangement (I didn't) and says unbelieveable vocal. Ellen thinks he is the most comfortable on stage and thinks he looked and sounded great. Kara says he found the drama of the song but did not lose himself (whatever the heck that means). Simon thinks he is back in the game and calls it fantastic. My grade: B

:sing: Here is another time I could not believe what the judges were hearing. Lee DeWyze is singing "That's Life" and honestly I thought the band over-powered his vocal especially the organ. He did have some good moments and showed more personality than we have seen from him up to now. Randy loves the arrangement and Lee. Ellen thinks if we were in the finale Lee would win hands down. Kara also thinks he can win this. Simon thinks he showed personality and this was the best performance of the night. Okay I need to get back on my spaceship because I can not agree with these comments. My grade: B

Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10 396952 Final thoughts:

I have read several comments from other critics of the show and most feel Casey James was the worst and should leave the competition. I truly believe everyone is at risk with so few contestants left. It is a toss-up here for me but I think Crystal is probably the safest of the pack. I am going to say either Casey or Aaron will be leaving and this is only because of them being in the bottom 3 so often. Mike is my other choice for the bottom 3 based solely on the fact he was almost eliminated once.

Lady GaGa and Harry Connick Jr. will be the guest singers this week which should be a treat I think. I do welcome your comments and will be back later with the results show re-cap. Til then have a great day all.
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10   Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10 Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 1:12 am

It was so good to see Harry Conick, Jr mentoring the kids this week. He has been one of my favorite singers for a long time. I love his personality, his voice and the music he sings. Great guy! Not to mention...very good looking, IMO.

I have to be honest with ya CC. I didn't like Casey's performance either. It just didn't do much for me. But I know he has a big enough fan base that they could save him.
My favorite performances of the night:
Big Mike
Lee Dewyze
Crystal Bowersox

Who do I think will go home? At this point it could be anyone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com

Sinatra Songs - 5/4/10
Page 1 of 1