Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Motown Night - 3/23/11

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Motown Night - 3/23/11 Empty
PostSubject: Motown Night - 3/23/11   Motown Night - 3/23/11 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 am

hello Don't adjust your television Ryan Seacrest says as tonight our contestants are bringing you the music that shaped our nation and reigned supreme. We are talking about Motown. Hi all. I liked how tonight's show gets started with the above wording and Ryan coming through our group of contestants who looked lined-up like Soul Train for their moment on the camera. Welcome to the party, this is American Idol!

After welcoming our judges and Ryan to the stage, Ryan informs us how important tonight's show is because the top 10 will be named and get to go on the idol tour.

Motown Night - 3/23/11 902284 Our contestants have a huge task in front of them to conquer the genre of the R&B beginnings. In 1959, Berry Gordy borrowed $800 from his family to start Motown Records which eventually became Hitsville, U.S.A in Detroit. It was great seeing old clips of some of the people who made this wonderful music for everybody which includes acts like Martha and The Vandellas, Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Jackson 5 and Stevie Wonder among others. Many comments are given by Berry Gordy, Jimmy Iovine and members of his crew who help the contestants along the way to hopefully achieve greatness during their moments on stage tonight. One last impressive note is Motown has charted 400 songs and has had 50 #1 hits to their credit.

Some brief comments are given by our judges:

Randy Jackson says this music is timeless because then it was fearless and brought people together as mentioned by Berry Gordy.

Jennifer Lopez hopes to see the contestants make the songs their own.

Steven Tyler is cute as he says Motown was as big as the British Invasion and growing up he liked to make out with girls to the music. Ryan reminds him he did more than that as his daughter Liv Tyler is in the audience. He cautions Liv she may need earmuffs during her dad's comments.

🍌 Each contestant gives comments about this kind of music and what they hope to achieve before they perform with a brief comment from each after they leave the stage. I will not go into detail on this part of the show.

Our first contestants is Casey Abrams with his hair slicked back and a suit on (not sure I like this look). Tonight he sings Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". Once again he entertains with his raspy and growling voice as he pretty much sings the song straight. He does have violins and back-up singers to assist him in this performance. Great stage presence and he did control his growl abit as mentioned by Jimmy Iovine during their rehearsal clip. What can I say, I just like this guy. So does Steven who thinks he is pitch perfect and also calls him a real entertainer. J-Lo comments that there really is no one out there like him currently and finds him amazing. Randy thinks he is a true original and thinks he is great. My grade: A

Hey, Aerosmith's guitarist Brad Whitford is in the house. Steven waves to him.

Motown Night - 3/23/11 396952 This Megia wants to do an up-tempo number this week since the judges are complaining she only does ballads. Her choice is "Heat Wave" by Martha and The Vandellas. Her pitch is good, she has back-up singers also but frankly once again I am bored with this performance. I also think she might have messed up on the words which she covers quite well. But yes she was more up-tempo. Jennifer thinks she if finally scratching the surface but wants more. Randy concurs and mentions to her to take chances as she can really sing. Steven also agrees with his co-judges but also says "he's good with it". My grade: B

Motown Night - 3/23/11 839840 For me the performance of the night comes from Jacob Lusk who performs the song "Your All I Need To Get By" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. He takes Jimmy's advice and keeps control of his singing over the top. With help from the back-up singers he gives this number so much soul and definitely makes it his own. I loved it and so do the judges who give him a standing ovation. In fact, Steven goes on stage and gives Jacob and hug and kiss on the cheek. Randy thinks Berry Gordy would be thrilled with this performance and feels James was a true professional. Steven after returning to his seat liked how he held back and milked it. Steven also gives a shout-out for Motown legend guitarist Bob Babbit. Jennifer is also excited and feels Jacob moved them. Jacob is so happy he goes in the audience to give his grandma a kiss and hug which prompts Ryan to bring up the whole first row of the audience to also give Jacob a hug. Nice touch I think. My grade: A+

:sing: Lauren Alaina is next and I have to comment I loved her dress (Jeesh this girl looks so much older than a teen). She is performing the number "You Keep Me Hanging On" by The Supremes. She starts out slow and then with the back-up singers goes into the chorus in a more upbeat way. To my ears I felt Lauren was not up to par with the music as she sings the lyrics. The music seemed to be getting away from her although her singing was okay. However none of the judges mention this as Steven feels she ripped another beauty mark and liked it. Jennifer comments on how she looks and liked that she showed attitude. Randy also thinks she got her swagger back on. My grade: B-

Motown Night - 3/23/11 709577 Stefano Langone has been cautioned many times to keep his eyes open and connect with the audience. He does do better this time with the song "Hello" by Lionel Ritchie. However, he once again slips into the bad habit of closing his eyes for the big notes. I do however think he did a nice job singing the song. His voice sounds so good. Each of the judges comment about the connecting but also think he sang quite well. My grade: B

Before I move on I have to mention that Ryan has a quick chat with Stefano before the performance. Stefano mentions his mom cooked dinner for the group the night before and he has brought some leftovers for Ryan. I think Ryan may not have liked it as later in the show he tries to give the dish to Gordon Ramsey and also Otis Williams (the creator of The Temptations). Seems like Ryan was a bit mean and appeared to be trashing Stefano's mom. I certainly hope this was not the case.

lol! So many think Haley Reinhart is forgettable and tonight she wants to show she isn't. Her song choice is "You Really Got A Hold On Me" originally by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles. I loved the rasp of her voice but she did seem to have trouble with the change-over of notes in the middle. Her stage presence also seemed a bit awkward (could it be those high-heels and her short skirt). Overall I did like her singing. Randy thinks she started out rough but by the middle came roaring back. Steven felt her and it touch his heart. He loved the growl in her voice. Jennifer thinks she has a soulful voice. My grade: B

Motown Night - 3/23/11 322546 I was pleasantly surprised with Scotty McCreery giving a country flavor to the song "For Once In My Life" by Stevie Wonder. I feel he made this song his own by not only controlling his country twang but also singing a different arrangement of the song. I really liked how he ended the number. Steven thinks he was like Glen Campbell, took a big chance but loved those low notes. Both Jennifer and Randy did not feel it was his strongest performance but liked how he took chances with the song. Before I give my grade I have to also comment on the fact that Scotty did an awesome job throwing that basketball from the window and into the hoop. My grade: B+

Motown Night - 3/23/11 833804 Pia Toscano is a good singer but frankly as mentioned by Randy and Jennifer later I am getting tired of her only singing ballads. Tonight her ballad is Stevie Wonder's "All In Love Is Fair". I must admit I do not care for this song at all but even though Pia has a rough start she ends quite well on the big notes. Jennifer calls it a killer ballad but wants more stage presence. Randy thinks she has a beautiful talent and likes the bit of falsetto she used during the song. Steven feels she is the closest star in the AI universe. Ryan shows us the back of the georgeous dress Pia is wearing before he gives her number to call. She does look elegant. My grade: B

Motown Night - 3/23/11 820770 With guitar in hand Paul McDonald is giving kind of a folksy vibe to the song "Tracks of My Tears" by Smokey Robinson. Once again I am shocked by all the praise the judges give to this squeaky Rod Stewart imitator who I think messed up on some of the words of the song. I did not like it and what the heck is with that weird hairdo? Randy thinks he has a different voice that takes us to a cool place (no way Randy). He also liked the tender moment at the end of the song. Steven thinks he is in the ranks of Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan. He calls it great! Huh? Jennifer also lavishes the praise calling him the complete package and all he needs is a good producer. I just don't get it folks. My grade: C-

Motown Night - 3/23/11 295441 Naima Adedapo is doing the song "Dancing In The Street" by Martha and The Vandellas with a twist. She does great singing and performs a African dance towards the end of the song. Her back-ups are singers, a brass section and drums that make this number even more exciting. She also manages to keep her breath pretty controlled during this number. I really liked it! Steven did too and calls her the whole package. Jennifer thinks she is an exciting performer and she got goosebumps. Randy says finally all of Naima showed up and loves it. My grade: A

Motown Night - 3/23/11 316708 Tonight James Durbin is doing a number that Taylor Hicks thrilled us with during his season. The song is "Livin In The City" by Stevie Wonder. I thought his vocals were spot on and when he did his dance moves at the side of the stage it brought back such wonderful memories of our Taylor. Jennifer thinks he is serious business and leaves her speechless. Randy thought he had a rough start (wrong Randy) but feels he became great once he moved to the side of the stage. Steven thinks he is a little bit crazy but nailed it. So do I as this kid can really sing! My grade: A+

Motown Night - 3/23/11 201170 Well tonight's show came off much better than I thought it would with James, Jacob, Casey and Naima being my top favorites. My bottom three consist of Paul, Lauren and Thia. I would so love to see Paul go home but sadly think it might be Haley since her fan base is not as good. I welcome your comments.

Be back later with the elimination show so until then take care!
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

Motown Night - 3/23/11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Motown Night - 3/23/11   Motown Night - 3/23/11 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 10:06 am

Good morning Cyrstal!
My favorite performances last night were James Durbin and Scott McCreery. My other favorite, Casey Abrams did well but I felt it was just alittle too screechy for me. I agree 100% about James. He was spot on. And I loved how he played with the audience. He is going to be really fun to watch when he gets his own tour.
Of the girls...Naima nailed it for me. I loved the dancing twist she added to her performance.

I can't quite put my finger on it. But Jacob Lusk doesn't do a thing for me vocally. Last night I really tried listening to him. I tried closing my eyes and simply consentrating on the voice. Ah, no! Still not wowing me any. (sorry)

As usual, all the girls performances (with the exception of Naima) were so-so. Even though I liked Thia finally showing more upbeat energy she fell alittle flat. And she's one of my favorite girls too. There is still plenty of time to see if she can show more of who she is. Assuming America doesn't send her home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com

Motown Night - 3/23/11
Page 1 of 1