Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07 Empty
PostSubject: The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07   The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2007 11:56 am

:waving: Another week of trying to find the next great band starts off with Dominic Bowden looking very much like a college guy with his pale lavender shirt and jeans giving us introductions to bands waiting in the Green Room and of course the judges. We are also informed that this week only one band will be leaving instead of two.

Our theme is the music of Leiber and Stoller who had some big hits in the 50's and 60's. They continue to write today although are mostly associated with the songs "Hound Dog" and "Jailhouse Rock". I actually saw a show of theirs called Smokey Joe's Cafe which featured many of their songs from the past decades. It was very entertaing and well worth the money.

The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07 891965 First up are Light of Doom who perform "Jailhouse Rock". I loved this song by Elvis Presley who was pure excitement when he performed it but Light of Doom was basically boring on this number. To me it sounded like they were singing each note in the same chord over and over. The stand-out was a small guitar solo and they did have some energy in the performance but overall just okay. My grade: B-

:holymoly: I felt like I was at a revival meeting as The Clark Brothers performed "Saved". Great energy, outstanding vocals and the music was manifico as said by Sheila. John and Dicko agreed this group was hot tonight even without a drummer. Just love the passion this group displays. My grade: A

cheers To Dot, Dot, Dot for giving a fairly solid performance doing the song "Love Potion #9". Adam plays guitar while singing this classic and his vocals are pretty good. Some spotlight was given to Rose who does play a mean guitar solo. She can really rock. The judges feel this band is stepping up every week and I quite agree. My grade: A-

The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07 820770: I am missing the bluegrass edge that Cliff Wagner & The Old #7 showed us at the start of this competition. For me it was what made them stand out. Lately they seem to be doing their performances in a more country way and tonight was no exception as they perform "Poison Ivy" with a country twang. While the overall performance was good I found myself getting bored halfway through. Hopefully they will go back to what made them such a hit in the beginning. My grade: B

clap Next to be saved are Denver & The Mile High Orchestra who for me were the best of the night. John and Dicko totally do not agree as they give their harshest critique to this group. Personally I was stunned by their comments. The band performs "Ruby, Ruby" in a very bluesy way with Denver leaving his comfort zone by sounding more edgy and sexier than in past performances. Another factor is they made this song their own and I would buy it in a heartbeat. My only critique would go along somewhat with Dicko's comment that if you are going to play that funky music white boy, dress the part. My grade: A+

The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07 295441 Six Wire are saved and have acquired the name sexy wire to some because this group does have some good-looking guys. They perform "I Keep Forgettin", a song made famous by Michael McDonald. Great harmonies once again as they do it their way in a southern rock style. Some complain that they perform the same every week but I feel they are staying true to themselves and frankly they are my pick to win it all. Very good performance. My grade: A

:eyepop: It is down to the last group and Tres Bien beats out Franklin Bridge which was a big surprise. Sheila even says America got it wrong this week. Not that I was overly impressed last week with either of these two groups but do feel Franklin Bridge was better musically. Our second-rate 60's era band perform "Some Other Guy" much like every performance of theirs. I absolutely felt no spark at all and could not wait for them to get done. Sheila mentions they are lots of fun and should have their own cartoon show. Might be fun for the kiddies but this person would not be interested at all. My grade: C

🆒 Next week is the music from Mick Jagger and Keith Richards which will be a treat as these bands competing will actually get to perform music from another band rather than a single artist. The Rolling Stones have certainly given us some great music over the decades.

My top 3 tonight - DMHO - The Clark Brothers - Six Wire

Who Should Go - Tres Bien (please)

That's a wrap for this week and hope all have a great week ahead! The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07 322546
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07   The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 10:40 pm

concertcris, Thank you so much for the review, I again didn't get to watch it had company from out of town, so I am glad to read your take on the show. I look forward to reading them by the way..
Great job.. The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07 322546
Back to top Go down

The Music of Leiber & Stoller - 11/16/07
Page 1 of 1