Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Taylor Hicks is a true artist

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Taylor Hicks is a true artist Empty
PostSubject: Taylor Hicks is a true artist   Taylor Hicks is a true artist Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 10:54 pm

must confess, dear readers, that I am not enamored with the American Idol phenomenon. I used to work in the music business (managed a mid-level rock band, I'd rather not mention names) and I just never thought Idol was more than amateur hour.

Taylor Hicks intrigued me, however, because he couldn't fit the American Idol paradigm less if he tried. He stands out - for all the right reasons. His voice has a gruff, lived-in quality that perfectly suits the material he obviously loves. He possess an intense, focused stage presence - when he sings a song, he truly means it. Friends of mine sold me on Mr. Hicks via early recordings he released independently prior to his victorious run on Idol. Anyone who has doubts about his artistic validity needs to check out his stirring performance of "Georgia On My Mind" (the closing track on his first independent release, "In Your Time"). Throughout it's 7-minute-plus duration, Mr. Hicks displays a truly impressive array of emotion and power. His 2005 CD, "Under the Radar," is even better - seven original songs that demonstrate a lot of songwriting maturity from 1997's "In Your Time."

It should be noted that his major label debut, "Taylor Hicks," is not really in line with those earlier recordings. I'm sure most of the differences can be chalked up to making him "more commercial." There is a glossy, over-produced sheen to this album that is (thankfully) not present on "In Your Time" and "Under the Radar." As a musician, Mr. Hicks is a capable rhythm guitarist and a fine harmonica player - though you wouldn't know it from this album. His musicianship is limited to a couple of cameo appearances from his harmonica. As for Mr. Hicks the songwriter, he is restricted to a pair of rerecordings carried over from "Under the Radar."
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000IY04S6/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?%5Fencoding=UTF8&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R1D9ANM69Q1I5I
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks is a true artist   Taylor Hicks is a true artist Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 7:20 am

I like this one. And she or he is spot on.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks is a true artist   Taylor Hicks is a true artist Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 9:01 am

woo hoo I love it when someone really "gets" Taylor. I have all his recordings both before and after idol and I must say his "Georgia On My Mind" is definitely unique. I actually like both of his prior cds to idol better than the one he made with J Records although I have 3 on that cd that I really like.

Thank you for posting this interesting article.
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks is a true artist   Taylor Hicks is a true artist Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:33 am

I tell people all the time that if they truly want a dead tyg, get a hold of Tay and Jeff and tell them to play Georgia when I'm nearby and see how quickly I melt into a puddle of some liquid that shall remain nameless because this is a gen board and I must behave. :) Go me - self moderating and stuff.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks is a true artist   Taylor Hicks is a true artist Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 4:21 pm

:waveing: Hi Tyggy!
Now that would really be interesting to see. Clean up on isle 3.. oh wait.. Im not cleaning THAT up...
Trys to revive Tyggy but then she sees them again and nods back off... Sorry Tyg your on your own.. lol
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taylor Hicks is a true artist   Taylor Hicks is a true artist Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taylor Hicks is a true artist
Page 1 of 1