Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

'Idol': Gals, guys & Dolly

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

'Idol': Gals, guys & Dolly Empty
PostSubject: 'Idol': Gals, guys & Dolly   'Idol': Gals, guys & Dolly Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 10:36 am

This week wasn't just country week; more specifically it was Dolly Parton week, a tribute to this season's first mentor, which limited the playlist significantly. It also, potentially, put a few of these amateurs into a box. Or a bind. In the end, it made for an uneventful night, at best.

On the home front, local boy David Cook delivered one of the better performances of the night. He is still a solid top two or three contender. The roll call:

Brooke White: She brings her guitar and a small band and delivers a Bluebird Cafe version of "Jolene." It's sugar-free decaf: Her voice goes well with the Lost Highway arrangement. But as a song, it doesn't have a big melody, so there are no dynamic flourishes. And parts of it sound rushed. She looked good, though. The verdicts are deservedly lukewarm/cold. Randy: Not bad. Paula plays inspirational coach: "You are consistent; you are who you are; you are Brooke White." Tanslation: Same-old. Simon takes a shot at her -- it lacked emotion; you looked like a busker -- then insults the fiddler (or the violinist, as he called her). It's the first of what would be several hormonal outbursts for the Brit-wit.

David Cook: Before they air his consultation with Dolly, he is forced to sit with Mr. Squeakcrest and confess publicly to his misdemeanors: using other people's arrangements as direct or indirect inspiration for his own. Apparently the Chris Cornell/"Billie Jean" episode really pissed off the hardcore Soundgarden fans who are uncool enough to watch "Idol."

After that silly ritual, he explains that his arrangement of "Little Sparrow" is his own. And it's a good one: Slightly somber and minor-keyed with real nice background vocals, it requires use of his upper register. Once or twice he nearly scrapped the ceiling of his falsetto; and once or twice his vocals nearly slipped into Scott Stapp mush. But overall, on what had to be one of his toughest assignments, it was real good. Howdy & Doody loved it. Paula: Never heard a guy sing that; fantastic! Cowell continues to show his disdain for country music and one of its better songwriters: If you can make a song about a sparrow sound good, it must be good.

Ramiele Malubay: Picks "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind." It's too sweet and bubbly for me and she gets lost in the arrangement. Two or three times, briefly, that voice gets big and she shows why she's come this far. But overall, it feels slight and amateur. Randy: I'm not jumping up (duh) or falling down. Just pretty good. Paula prescribes more self-esteem nutrients: "I'm proud of you. You connected. You were having fun." Simon: It was cute. You sang it well. It was kind of cruise-ship. Totally forgettable.

Jason Castro: He strums his way through "Travelin' Thru." His voice sounds slightly richer than last week but it's more of the same -- mellow electric-folk rock. About 45 seconds in it's feeling a little too bouncy and perky for me, and I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed for him. This is definitely not music for dudes. RJ: It started out rough but picked up. It was good. Paula: One of your strongest performances. Simon: I didn't get it at all. The skies above him are getting darker.

Carly Smithson: The Irish siren rearranges "Here You Come Again" into a slower, soul ballad. Hits the big notes, stays in tune, has a strong, pretty voice. But I'm bored. RJ: Best of the night. Paula loved it then yammers on and on at Randy about last week's performance -- which is one reason they would end up nearly running late. Simon calls it about right: It was good, not great. Then he goes back into rabid jackal mode: I hate what you're wearing. He can be a real byautch.

David Archuleta: The kid who is about as old-Southern/country as PlayStation 3 picks "Smoky Mountain Memories" -- for its inspirational message. During their confab, Dolly looks like she wants to mother Little D to death (and he looks a little sceerd of her). She says she hears great things in his voice. He proves her right.

There's something a little weird about watching somebody so baby-faced emote like that, though -- something kind of Marjoe Gortner-like. Randy: Best of the night (again). Paula: Blah, blah, ramble, ramble -- "glorious aura." Simon: That was on the money.

Kristy Lee Cook: She looks great, even barefoot, but there's something about her that annoys -- like she doesn't realize that she really doesn't belong or that she's lucky to still be here. Picks "Coat of Many Colors," and gives it an ordinary/pleasant/forgettable neo-traditional country treatments. Hits a nice run at the end. She' s probably safe one more time. Randy: Country is in your wheelhouse (duh). Paula: You look yummy. Simon: Good, but not great.

Sayesha Mercado: If this were the Olympics, she'd get bonus points for degree of difficulty because hers was higher than anyone's (David Cook's would be second). Of course she won't sing "I Will Always Love You" like Whitney Houston did; if she could she wouldn't be on this show. But I thought she came close enough to deserve more praise than she got from the judges, who basically said: It was OK, but you ain't Whitney. Thanks, Randy, and you aren't Quincy Jones. Not sure her big risk will pay off, but she definitely deserves to stick around.

Michael Johns: I could never get past the cravat (WTF?). He sings "It's All Wrong But It's All Right" and he makes it an old-school rock-soul number -- like a mix of Joe Cocker and the Commitments (and a bit of Taylor Hicks). It's good until the end, when he orders extra cheese on his ham. Judges loved it, especially Paula, who mauled him with her eyes. He's safe; the ladies will make sure of that.

Wednesday: Nine become eight. Bottom three? Ramiele M., Jason C., Sayesha M. Who goes home? The little one.

http://backtorockville.typepad.com/the_other_door/2008/04/this-week-wasnt.html
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com

'Idol': Gals, guys & Dolly
Page 1 of 1