Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction Empty
PostSubject: Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction   Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 5:08 pm

“I can stop anytime I want,” I told my husband as he rolled his eyes and moseyed into the next room to read a book. “I’m not addicted. I have this under control.”

Who was I kidding?

The evidence of an addiction was all around me — the TV remote and my well-worn blanket at my side, the notebook and pen ready to write down my favorites; the telephone within arm’s reach to call in votes. I was jonesing for popcorn.

It was 7 p.m. on Tuesday night and I had only one thing on my mind: “American Idol.” I’ve given my life over to the popular televised singing competition and doubt that anything short of an intervention by friends and family could wrest me away from my favorite show.

The seduction began innocently enough in summer 2002 when the first season of “American Idol” began. My kids began watching it, then coaxed me to watch it with them. It didn’t take long before I was sucked into the Idol vortex and wasn’t coming out until the winning contestant was chosen.

I’ve been faithful, watching all of the winners triumph, from Kelly Clarkson to Jordan Sparks. I stuck by Taylor Hicks, even though my kids called him a geezer because at the tender age of 29 he already was prematurely gray.

I’ve listened to every searing comment from the judges — cool dude Randy Jackson: “Dog, it was a little pitchy at first, but you worked it out;” seemingly clueless Paula Abdul: “You’re glorious and you look so pretty;” and the snide Simon Cowell: “That was absolutely horrible, sorry.”

Every year I vow to steer clear of the TV as the Idol auditions begin and they televise some of the weirdest, most ghastly singers you can imagine. Some years I’m able to avoid most of the early audition shows, but once the top 10 have been seated, I’m there.

Almost as much fun as watching the weekly show are the watercooler discussions the next morning, when we rake contestants over the proverbial coals.

“Syesha sounded like second-class Whitney [Houston] karaoke,” a fellow reporter scoffed this week, describing Syesha Mercado’s rendition of “I’ll Always Love You.”

“Yeah,” I agreed. “She should know Whitney songs are just off-limits. And Syesha is starting to get a little attitude.”

We fawn over rocker David Cook (he could win it all) and the bluesy Australian, Michael Johns, and agree that although 17-year-old David Archuleta is a bit of a “cheeser,” he has an amazing voice.

As my addiction has progressed, I’ve begun checking the “American Idol” blogs for further critiques and I love their blunt honesty. This week the remaining nine contestants had to sing songs written by country icon Dolly Parton, and blogger James Poniewozik has this to say about the sunny Brooke White, whom we all agree is just a bit too cheery for her own good. White sang the classic Parton tune, “Jolene.”

“Her voice sounds tight and she seems a bit tense and rushed on the first verse or so,” Poniewozik observed in his blog. “...One problem: the classic Idol disease, smiley-itis. You’re pleading with her not to take your man, not asking her if she wants to get an Orange Julius.”

I checked the “American Idol” Web site this week and found out fans now can order “Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul.” For $10.95 you get a collection of captivating stories that “take you into the hearts and minds” of the Idols and their fans. A co-worker, who’s not an Idol fan, suggested she may have to shun me if I ordered the “contrite meaningless crap” she calls Chicken Soup books.

I’m having too much fun with my “American Idol” addiction to consider quitting. Who am I hurting? Sure, the dishes don’t get done on time and the yard work suffers when I’m holed up watching Idol (summer is well under way by the time the winner is picked). As far as reality shows go, I could do a lot worse.

So pass the popcorn and leave me alone. I want to hear every “pitchy” note.
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2008/04/06/columns/columns03.txt
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Idol Addiction   Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 7:35 pm

Love this story as it kinda reminded me of myself during the first five seasons of Idol. Couldn't wait for the next week to see what happened to our favorite picks. I'd usually get upset when I was schedual to work on Idol night because I felt like I missed out on something exciting.

The excitement has died. American Idol isn't holding any interest for me but I still cheer on those I've secretly picked to make it to the final four.

Great story Jodie! Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction 322546
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction   Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 6:01 am

:laugh: I feel like this writer is so much like myself. I am really addicted and each season in spite of so many things that are wrong with this show I continue to stay glued to my set each week. Of course, I do re-caps which I love doing but in reality I long for this show each year and usually find a favorite to root for. I also surf the net constantly looking for information about the idols.

For years I have been a total music fanatic and that is probably why this show is so appealing to me. Also have to add in spite of the crap that AI has dissed out to our Taylor if it had not been for them I would never have known about our sexy and uniquely talented guy. I do thank them for that.

Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction 322546 I seriously doubt I will ever get over this addiction but then music is what makes the world go round for me. Thanks for the article Jodi.
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction   Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 8:01 am

I had only watched 5 and some of 6 so I know I can quit anytime.....
~tyg
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction   Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 11:02 am

I have to admit it. If it were not for Idol I never would have known about Taylor either. I'll give credit where credit is due. Despite all the wrongs with the show, it does introduce us to some amasing talent. ~thinking David A right now~
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction   Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bowing down to ‘Idol’ can be a serious addiction
Page 1 of 1