Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Clive Davis Replaced.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Clive Davis Replaced. Empty
PostSubject: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:59 am

Seen this on the Right Place and thought I'd share, So what do ya all think??

http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/artic.../Music.SonyBMG/

Clive Davis replaced by Barry Weiss as BMG head

NEW YORK — Legendary music executive Clive Davis has been replaced by Barry Weiss as chairman and chief executive officer of the BMG label group.
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 11:24 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 11:37 am

Davis has also been influential in the careers of the winners of "American Idol," guiding their albums to mostly platinum successes. Last year, however, he disagreed with the direction of Kelly Clarkson's "My December," and she publicly criticized him; the album was a flop, and she later apologized.

Now here is the million dollar question was Kelly Clarkson's 'My December' cd a flop cause it was a really bad cd or was it a flop because she disagree with Clive and publicly criticized him; so he made sure that the cd was a flop to make an example out of her.
He has the power and money to make or break this artists, the means to be a bully with people lives and career without using a fist. This is the one cd every Kelly Clarkson's fan should buy and boast about!!!
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 12:52 pm

Of course I don't know the man personally thank goodness, But from what I've heard he had a hand in all the idols careers and in most case he pushed their Cd's, air time, promotions, tv spots etc etc unless he didn't like them, Hench Taylor, and Kelly when she disagreed with him, every thing stopped. Kelly buckled under and went back to him Taylor didn't. He also signed Chris D BUT with the undersigned that Chris has the say in his Cd's and not the label. But they knew with the air time and such that Chris would sell and face it, it's rock, Now this is just what I heard. BUT that aside, Chris has done very very well for himself and I don't think anyone can deny that even his worst NON FAN. I also think that Jordin was given the ok by Clive to do the duet with Chris Brown Because her Cd was not selling as well, what better way to boost sales. She has a good voice but was selling very bad until she go the help from the duet. Clive had a long reach and YES he's done a lot for these idols but at what cost to them?
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 2:09 pm

Clive Davis Replaced. 833804 So Clive as been replaced? Well, he still has his fingers in the pie as he actually just moved to a different postion. My take on this snake is this. Sure he has shaped a lot of careers with Whitney Houston being one of his biggest successes. However every artist he has every promoted could not have gotten any where without the support of the fans who really like the artist themselves. I mean afterall the many he has had under his labels have a lot of talent. He did not create their talent.

As for the idols, sure they were signed with his various labels but due to lack of promotion with some such as Taylor, not everyone has been successful under his influence. Good examples of this are Blake Lewis, Jordin Sparks, Bo Bice, Kat McPhee, Justin Guarini, Diana DeGarmo, etc. These artists are not doing well in sales since he took over their careers. Jordin is probably doing the best because of this latest single with Chris Brown but in reality I think what is making this a success is the popularity of Chris Brown. Bo struggle with his first cd as Clive tried to change his unique sound so of course that cd did not do as well. I also believe because of this Bo's recent released suffered although his "See The Light" is fantastic.

As for Carrie Underwood she has a great talent in spite of Clive and her country fans will appreciate her no matter what label she is under. Same with the fans of Daughtry, Kellie Pickler, Clay Aiken, etc. Now Clive does have some influence in promotion and yes without good promotion some people can falter as did Kelly with her last album and of course he basically tried everything to kill Taylor's career. So all in all, I think it is better for any artist to go independent as many are doing today. They reap all the rewards without having to answer to the major labels. Elliott Yamin is a good example of this.

Does Clive being replaced make a difference in the real world? Hardly. The fans will continue to support their favorites regardless I think. Clive Davis Replaced. 322546
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 2:33 pm

You are right in everything you said CC, I was just over at AI and there is a thread in GD about his, of course there are a lot of pro's and con's to it as you could guess. In one of them someone stated that ALL the idols signed under one of his labels have gotten the same treatment, a SP spoke up and said NOT TRUE> Where was Taylor's video, and his single didn't come out until 2 months AFTER his Cd, promotion from AI was nonexisted for Taylor and even Kelly's "December" was doing bad UNTIL she went back to Clive. ALL true of course, Ithink the only thing that Clive every did for Taylor was to arrange it for him to sing "Dancing In The Dark" by Bruce Spingsteen. only time one of his songs has ever been song on the show and one of my favorites.. He's made a living on other peoples hard work and determanation. JMO
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:22 pm

Here is my take -
Nope, not fond of Clive. If he does not back you, you don't have a career. Period. Witness if you will Bruce Springsteen's new album. What, you say? He has a new one out there? Yes, actually, he does. And it's amazing. I expect nothing less from the Boss. It's deep and introspective, smart and really good (by the way he lost his organist/glockenspielist today - R.I.P. Danny) but it has all been ignored by Clive and ClearChannel, whom were told to not play it similar to Tay. Result? The album is not doing as well as it could. Witness also the treatment that Annie Lennox received from Clive. So, it could potentially be a good thing not to have him in control. Distribution - wise, which is where Taylor needs help I feel, he might have more of an opportunity, and he does have new promotors....all told, Tay might well get a fair shake out of this. And with his being able to do his music, his way, with plenty of time to do it....might well be good for our sweet boy. Let's see what happens.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:01 pm

wietzema wrote:
Of course I don't know the man personally thank goodness, But from what I've heard he had a hand in all the idols careers and in most case he pushed their Cd's, air time, promotions, tv spots etc etc unless he didn't like them, Hench Taylor, and Kelly when she disagreed with him, every thing stopped. Kelly buckled under and went back to him Taylor didn't. He also signed Chris D BUT with the undersigned that Chris has the say in his Cd's and not the label. But they knew with the air time and such that Chris would sell and face it, it's rock, Now this is just what I heard. BUT that aside, Chris has done very very well for himself and I don't think anyone can deny that even his worst NON FAN. I also think that Jordin was given the ok by Clive to do the duet with Chris Brown Because her Cd was not selling as well, what better way to boost sales. She has a good voice but was selling very bad until she go the help from the duet. Clive had a long reach and YES he's done a lot for these idols but at what cost to them?

I wonder why Taylor Hicks didn't take that same undersigned to have control and say over his music and cds. Is this an example of Clive once again Clive being a bully and getting away with it because of his money and power in the music world.
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:18 pm

mae, Taylor didn't have the chance to change his contract, it came with the AI win. That's why Chris was better off NOT winning AI, I guess in the long run it might not have mattered a lot because Chris's type of music is more popular anyway, But with his contract now, he does his music his way, which Taylor didn't have the choice. I seen another Article concerning this and will run get it and post it, The other one says something about money not being spent in the manner that is now, which under Clive's direction was up to him.. I'll post it in a min ok..
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:21 pm

Heres the link for "The Rest OF the STory ha..."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/04/18/business/18music.php
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:01 pm

Taylor didn't have a choice which is one more reason he would have would have been better off losing the title.   It is like Clive and them wanted Taylor to fail and fall hard on face.  So they did everything they could to make sure he did.   Which is stupid on there part if they help him to succeed that would mean more money  in their pockets too.    Yet when you are as rich as Clive and his buddy you just assume tied a large millstone around the neck and drown them in the sea of failure when someone disagrees with you.

They are in for a rude awakening when they find out that Taylor is stronger and tougher then they ever thought!!!

And a much better swimmer when they realize when they  find him on the shore of success.  

Clive Davis Replaced. 600701
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:09 pm

I have NO doubt that Taylor will raise above and show not only American Idol PTB but ol Clive as well just what he's made of. I can not for the live of me figure out what Taylor could have done to make them dislike him so much, And I agree that promoting him in the right way would have brought them in more money but at the time they were more concerned in signing Chris, they knew he would sell. But to flat out diss Taylor and make them look like idiots is not helping their cause any in my opinion anyway.
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 7:19 am

Sandi, I read that article you posted and it sounds like Clive if he likes the artist has over-spent money and that business about his being fired does not sound good at all.

Now if indeed this new person is taking over I have a feeling that the belt will be tightened financially and it might affect the videos that our new artists from AI have coming our way. Also it might affect future videos of the artists already under contract with the Davis group. With the new technology of downloading and less being spent on videos, production,etc. it does seem like the music business is up for a big shake-up. Some of these videos cost so much and I have a feeling the big productions of these are going to the way side. I notice most of these rappers do not have real elaborate videos yet so many are successful.

Time will tell I guess.
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 2:26 pm

I agree CC that we will have to sit back and see what happens, as far as the Video's if that is part of the contract with AI where is Taylor's? I know they cost a bunch to make and that I heard that Taylor choice NOT TO spend it but if it''s in the contract why not do it, he wouldn't make any less off his contract anyway. Or did I read that all wrong at the time.

I think a lot will change with the Idol contracts and I heard that they only made about .50 cents off each Cd sold the way it way, surly they can't cut that down ya think? I'm glad Taylor is no longer in the clutches of this group but hope and pray he finds a lable that will treat him as he deserves to be treated
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 11:24 pm

wietzema wrote:
I agree CC that we will have to sit back and see what happens, as far as the Video's if that is part of the contract with AI where is Taylor's? I know they cost a bunch to make and that I heard that Taylor choice NOT TO spend it but if it''s in the contract why not do it, he wouldn't make any less off his contract anyway. Or did I read that all wrong at the time.

I think a lot will change with the Idol contracts and I heard that they only made about .50 cents off each Cd sold the way it way, surly they can't cut that down ya think? I'm glad Taylor is no longer in the clutches of this group but hope and pray he finds a lable that will treat him as he deserves to be treated

I think you are right about how little the artist makes off the cd although I am not sure how much they get. With Elliott going independent it was different as he got most of the money with Sony who did release it only getting a certain percentage. That is one reason I think more artists are releasing singles as downloads as they get the money without the middle man so to speak.

As far as why Taylor did not have a video out I am totally clueless on this one unless of course the Davis group decided not to make one. I think where Taylor made most of his money was in the concerts he did. In fact I have heard about other artists who actually make more going the concert route rather than on their actual cds. I know the Rolling Stones have made a bundle that way.

Regardless I am hoping Taylor gets a cd out there soon even if he just released it to ITunes or on his space. Sure miss hearing from our guy. Also, where the heck is that DVD he said he was going to release? Guess time will tell.

Clive Davis Replaced. 322546
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clive Davis Replaced.   Clive Davis Replaced. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clive Davis Replaced.
Page 1 of 1