Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works Empty
PostSubject: Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works   Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 11:34 pm

Taylor Hicks’ The Early Works is a compilation of two independent albums Hicks recorded before appearing on - and winning - American Idol in 2006. With a couple of exceptions, Hicks’ post-Idol debut Taylor Hicks (released in late '06) did not represent what kind of singer/songwriter/musician he really is. This album does.

Hicks has hinted that an album of new material should be coming out soon. It wouldn’t surprise me if he is using this compilation as a preview of the musical direction he is headed for. The Early Works contains twelve tracks, ten of them Hicks' originals: six songs each from 1997's In Your Time and 2005's Under The Radar. Both albums were recorded on a low budget - especially In Your Time, which was recorded live as a money saving tactic. This release has been remastered and the sound quality is very good.

Hicks fans may be somewhat disappointed that “Hell Of A Day” from Under The Radar was left off this album. It’s a great bluesy track, and its absence is a mystery to me. Also missing is his nice acoustic guitar version of “On Broadway,” from In Your Time. I’m assuming that omission might due to licensing issues. A new (and very different sounding) version of “Hell of a Day” was recorded for Taylor Hicks, and can be found as a Wal-Mart exclusive bonus track.

That said, there really isn’t anything to be disappointed about because there are some outstanding tracks on this album. Two of Hicks’ best song from Under The Radar, “Soul Thing” and “The Deal,” were also re-recorded for Taylor Hicks (and were two of the standout tracks on that album). The original versions found here have a rawer, less-produced sound. On this album, Hicks’ voice is the emphasis and the subtler arrangements suit him well.

The Early Works is sequenced almost like a live set-list. The album opens with his signature song, “Soul Thing.” “Soul Thing” is a nice, soulful take on life as a musician that serves as a good introduction to Hicks. In the liner notes to the album, Hicks states that he was going for an Al Stewart-type of sound with these early recordings. That jazz-soul style is what he achieves here. The next track, “The Fall,” comes from In Your Time and it is one of Hicks’ best songs. It's an introspective acoustic ballad about love, loss and disappointment. Hicks’ understated vocals give the song its power and meaning.

This release effectively weaves together tracks that were recorded eight years apart, showcasing more versatility than what might be expected from Hicks' detractors. “Hold On To Your Love” has a Latin influence, “West Texas Sky” sounds a little bit country, and “Heart And Soul” has Hicks’ signature soul sound. The tracks from In Your Time are distinguished by their loose, improvisational feel. Conversely, the Under The Radar tracks have a more complex and mature sound. It’s an interesting way to see Hicks’ growth as a songwriter. The only slight misstep is the inclusion of “Tighten Up.” The song is a cover of an old R&B-funk song that is almost entirely instrumental. Hicks’ throws in some vocals here and there, but the song is more of a loose jam. It is a bit long at seven minutes and not all that interesting.

The “set-list” closes with the upbeat and fun classic R&B-style track “My Friend,” which features Hicks’ trademark harmonica playing. Then there is the “encore” – Hicks’ exceptional take on the classic “Georgia On My Mind.” This performance alone makes purchasing the album worthwhile. Hicks’ vocals on this song are truly outstanding. Accompanied only by a couple of acoustic guitars, Hicks’ singing starts off with a soft richness reminiscent of Ray Charles himself. But Hicks builds to an emotional and vocal intensity that is all his own. It is a very powerful performance; a reminder that there is more to Hicks than dancing or gray hair or being an American Idol winner.

The Early Works is available exclusively at Target. It is a must have for anyone who wants to hear the real Taylor Hicks.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/08/14/122115.php
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works   Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 9:39 am

:ladybug: Great review of our guy's wonderful talent and music. I loved reading this article and thank you for posting it. Hopefully others who appreciate really good music will see that Taylor is indeed a great musician in more ways than one.

Taylor Rocks ☮
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works   Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 10:32 am

I can certainly relate to all the music Taylor has given us. What talent this man has. I'm glad he's around. 🎶 🎶 🎶
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works   Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 8:31 pm

I love the new Cd, it's great and so worth the cost, Taylor is going places and now that I have his EW Cd I can not wait to hear what he has in store for his new Cd...
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works   Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 10:43 pm

I bought my copy today and I love it. Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works 399539 If his new cd is anything close to this one we are certainly in for a treat.
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works   Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 9:40 am

Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works 902284 I got my copy also. Man, does this guy have talent or what?

:ladybug: LOVE IT!
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works   Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 11:26 am

🎶 This morning I sat and quietly listened to this cd. Taylors voice sounded so rich and soulful. I especially loved Georgia and Son of a Carpenter. What grew to become my number one favorite is Heart and Soul. Yep, this man has talent. I can't deny that anymore than I can deny the existence of God. IMO, he sets the stage of what good music is all about. (Beautiful job, Taylor!) Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works 322546

Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works 839840 I'm so looking forward to his next cd.
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works   Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 8:53 pm

I love my Cd as well, but for me I did not care for Georgia, Maybe because I don't especially care for the song to much, but wow the others are FANTASTIC, and it baffles me how this Cd did not sell the first time around, it amazes me that his talent did not go anywhere 10 years ago, just think where he'd be now, but then maybe we wouldn't be the fans we are if it had huh? Everything happens for a reason and I think Taylor had to wait until the world was ready for him to show just what this very talented young man was all about..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works   Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Music Review: Taylor Hicks - The Early Works
Page 1 of 1