Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 Empty
PostSubject: Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09   Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 12:22 am

hello Before we get started with this week of performances, hope all of you had a great St. Patrick's Day. Well tonight's theme is music of the Grand Ole Opry and once again I have to say I really just can not get into this genre of music thoroughly. I guess in a way I am sort of like Simon on this as this is my least favorite type of music however tonight we did have some stand-out performances. Our judges are once again introduced on the big stage and Ryan looking great in his black suit and dotted tie comes down the staircase to welcome us to the show.

The Grand Ole Opry is the high point for most country artists as this has been the longest running show on the radio. Becoming a member is especially an honor and as many of you know our own Carrie Underwood did receive that honor from none other than Randy Travis who is our mentor for the night. Randy is a very accomplished artist with 22 #1 hits and has sold 25 million albums. I have to add here that my husband and I had the great priviledge of seeing Randy in Laughlin, Nevada and it was indeed a great show. While I am not a big country fan my hubby was and I went mainly to please him so it was a surprise how much I enjoyed seeing this show. Another fact is that we visited a nightclub called the "Nashville Palace" and turns out that Randy Travis was once a dishwasher there before he was discovered. Small world I say. Now, on to the show!

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 396952 First to perform is Michael Sarver and I guess I am the only one who recognized how difficult this song from Garth Brooks was to sing. So many words yet I felt Michael did well with it. He had good stage presence and loved the harmonica playing. Kara and Paula sort of liked it however Randy was unsure if it was the best choice and Simon couldn't understand a word he sang. Maybe not the best choice but Michael sounded good in my book. My grade: B

wiggle Our next performer looked good tonight I thought. Allison Iraheta is singing the Patty Loveless song "Blame It On Your Heart" and she gave it kind of a rock-edge. Not my favorite song of the night but I think she made it her own and truly showed some personality. Kara thinks she could sing the alphabet and sound good. Paula calls her rock solid, Simon thought it was good although tuneless in parts and Randy says "dope". My grade: B

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 709577 On this next performance the judges and I are definitely parting ways. Kris Allen is singing Garth Brooks and sorry I do not know the song at all. However, going on what I heard I have to say I could barely hear him in parts as he sang too softly. I heard pitch notes and at one part of the verse I swear I heard an echo of course that could have been the mic. Frankly I did not care for it that much but he did have a few nice notes. The judges were overboard with their praise I thought. My grade: B-

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 76735 When I heard what Lil Rounds was going to sing I was like no, no, no. She is doing Martina McBride's "Independence Day". I figured the judges would immediately compare her to Carrie's performance of the same song but no one mentioned Carrie's name however the judges were not too enthused with her performance. I thought the first part was sort of nice but boring however when she reached the chorus she did better and for this Paula and Kara were the only ones to give her real praise. The guys were uncomfortable with it. I sort of was also. My grade: B-

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 322546 The one thing that everyone should agree on about Adam Lambert is he is original. Who would have ever thought they would hear "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash done in a middle eastern flavor. Naturally he was his dramatic self but his high notes were great in my book and even though I found this performance a little strange I had to commend him for being current and fresh as Randy said. Kara also found it strange but kind of liked it. Paula thinks he is true to himself and Simon starts his comments with "What the hell was that". My grade: A

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 833804 Scott MacIntyre shows heart and passion once again as he performs Martina McBride's "Wild Angels" while playing beautifully on his piano. It was a nice vocal however I do think Scott needs to watch his diction somewhat. Paula is worried that the piano is becoming a crutch for Scott and she and Simon discuss this at great length as Simon does not agree. Simon's other comment I sort of agree with and that is that Scott is kind of picking the same type of song each week. Randy thought it was kind of good and nice. Kara thinks he brings class and poise to the stage but does want him to up his game. Overall, I thought it was nice. My grade: B

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 485234 I was sort of turned-off with the performance that Alexis Grace gave of the Dolly Parton song "Jolene". She sort of dressed the part but her version of the song was slow and dragging I thought. While she tried to make the song her own in my mind she seemed to be struggling to get the words out. I also noticed the pitch notes as mentioned by Randy. Simon thought it was okay. While Paula enjoyed her soft side, Kara feels she may have lost her edge. So do I. My grade: B-

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 41826 Okay when I heard Danny Gokey was going to sing Carrie Underwood's signature song "Jesus Take The Wheel" I was flabbergasted and thought he would fail big time. However the more I thought about it the more I can understand why he picked this one due to his back story although that was not mentioned at all. It was a nice vocal in the beginning however as Kara mentioned he really hit his stride when he went into the chorus. There he shined with his soulful vibe. Both Simon and Paula agreed he was brilliant. Randy went with Kara on not enjoying the beginning as much as they did the second half. I have to say I truly liked it as overall it was good. My grade: B+

lol! Anoop Desai really impressed the judges with his rendition of Willie Nelson's "You Were Always On My Mind". Simon went so far as saying he went from zero to hero. I would not quite go that far. I thought it was a nice tender moment from Anoop but I am a big fan of Willie and frankly I found this bordering on boring for me personally. He did well but not great in my opinon. My grade: B

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 957205 I feel bad that Megan Joy (Corkrey) as she now wants to be called was not feeling well. I know it must be a killer trying to perform when you have a bad cold. For that reason I am upping her grade as I was going to give her a C. I loved the dress she was wearing but again that arm of hers distracts me to no end. She had a few pitch problems but that could be the cold but overall I just did not care for this vocal of Patsy Cline's "Walking After Midnight". The judges on the other hand complimented her for doing good. I just do not get that at all. My grade: B-

clap I loved the rendition that Matt Giraud did of the Carrie Underwood song "So Small". He truly made it his own with a soulful vibe while playing the piano. That last tender note at the end I thought was great. Like Randy this was my favorite performance of the whole night. Kara thought he was amazing, Paula added authentic and Simon said he felt he out-sang Danny Gokey. His final comment terrific and I so agreed. My grade: A+

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 72213 I know many of you do like country music but for me this is one theme I wish they would get rid of. However I did see some interesting moments tonight so guess it was not all downhill. My top favorites of the night were Matt Giraud and Adam Lambert mainly because he is original if nothing else. Who I think should leave well I know many will probably not agree with me but my picks are either Megan Joy or Kris Allen.

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 201170 Well, have to hit the hay so look forward to your comments and I'll be back tomorrow with the results. Good night all!
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09   Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 10:38 am

Hm. Already heard about the verbal smackdown between the judges. Did you catch the totally visual "remark" Simon gave poor Scott? Hello - he can't see, Simon....
~tyg
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09   Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:31 am

As always CC I enjoy reading your recaps. I couldn't really get into the country theme this week either. And I like country music. However, I did enjoy Anoop, Danny, Matt and Allison's performances. I love Danny to pieces but Matt was the best performance of the night, in my opinion.

Hey tyg, I saw the "remark" Simon gave Scott. I rolled my eyes. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09   Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 12:40 pm

There are times I question the man's intelligence myself. *also rolls eyes*
~tyg
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09   Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 1:30 pm

I totally agree.
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341

PostSubject: Re: Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09   Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks CC, I was out of town and the vacationing VCR didn't record AI so I didn't get to see it. Loved your recap..

I have no comment to make as I didn't hear it for myself so will have to hope I can catch them somewhere.. Do have a question though, What did Ryan say to Danny after he sang? I got a google alert about him saying something like "It's been a long time sense Taylor Hicks stood here" or something like that. Or is the media once again pulling some tricks?

I did get to see the results show and is Randy Travis ill? WOW he's so thin, I am not a country music listener but have always liked him, I think I seen him a couple times on Matlock and darn the show that had the Angles in it.. Anyway Carrie cut her hair????? Or did she just have pulled up in a werid way? Now don't get mad at me guys ok!! Carrie is beautiful and she's got a very good voice but when is this show going to quit shoving her down our throats? I mean she's just all over and all the time and I sometime feel bad that these idols are having to think "wow we'll never measure up to her"
Does any of that make sense? Anyway thanks
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09   Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 3:14 pm

I was excited to see Carrie Underwood appearing during last night's results show. She looks very good. Brad Paisley? The guy is Hot!!! What more can I say about that? It broke my heart to see Alexis Grace go home as I thought, out of all the girls in this competition, she was the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09   Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Country Time in Idol Land - 3/17/09
Page 1 of 1