Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Face To Face With Taylor Hicks

Go down 
+2
naynaystay71
wietzema
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Empty
PostSubject: Face To Face With Taylor Hicks   Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 7:49 am

by: Allison Grooms

July 8, 2009

In the three years since Taylor Hicks has won our nation’s largest singing competition, a lot of water has passed under his bridge, including the establishment of his own record label and the launch of a CD that boasts the contributions of well-respected musical luminaries. While all of this terrific water was passing beneath Taylor’s bridge, I myself was passing over bridges, clouds, and highways into many previously unexplored cities across the country. However, my destination was always the same: a Taylor Hicks concert and/or appearance in the national tour of Grease, in which he stars as Teen Angel. The best of his live musical performances, in my opinion, was his recent acoustic concert in a great Detroit club called The Magic Bag.

This most excellent gig was capped off by the M&G (Meet and Greet) that I was about to have with Taylor. In my travels, I have met Taylor before, but never after an actual concert. I was very excited about this meeting, as were the other seven people also lucky enough to have M&G’s at the Magic Bag. The security people at the club were, at first, confused as to what to do with eight bursting-at-the-seams happy Taylor Hicks fans. After checking our names against a list for verification, we were told to stand next to a railing and wait. We were then directed to line up behind a group of people who were getting CD’s signed by the headliner. We had just lined up when a man came by and wrapped wristbands around our arms, thus proclaiming us as the Chosen Few.

As we were waiting to meet Taylor, my friend John Kulinich, who had played guitar for Taylor that night, came by to say “hi.” John has his own Southern rock/country band, called Rollin’ in the Hay, for which he plays a mean (translation: great) guitar. I had first made John’s acquaintance a few months earlier, at a Rollin’ in the Hay concert where we struck up a friendship. While Taylor finished signing the CD’s, John and I chatted a bit. Finally, the security force was ready to start the M&G’s!

Since some people were still milling about the club’s lobby, security led us down toward the stage. There were a few people in line ahead of me, including a teenaged boy who asked to photograph Taylor holding up a sign for the boy’s school. The lady in front of me had a nice conversation with Taylor and finally, it was my turn! Surprisingly I was calm (I’m always afraid he’ll hear my knees knocking, but my kneecaps behaved nicely this time around).

Taylor greeted me with a smile and I told him that, of all the shows I’d seen him do, this was my favorite. I told him that I loved his acoustic material and he graciously said that he appreciated it and hoped that he could do more acoustic concerts! Then I presented him with a printout of a drawing that a friend of mine, who lives in Finland, had sketched of him. After that, I asked him to sign a photo that I had taken at the Grease show in New York City last summer, where the blockbuster musical had kicked off. Just as Taylor got done signing this for me, his friend Clay Connor came walking past us and spied the photo. He commented on how good it was and I told Clay and Taylor that I’d snapped the shot before the camera cops caught me! They both laughed at that. Naturally, I wanted a picture with Taylor, so I handed my camera to the security guy to do the honors, and he took a great picture! Since there were other people in line behind me, I told Taylor I’d see him in Canada for another appearance, and made my way back through the crowd. It was an M&G I will never forget. Taylor couldn’t have been any nicer. By the time I had emerged into the night air, my knees and other body parts had regained their memories: I was literally shaking!

I love Taylor Hicks’ music. I love the sound and honesty of it; I love the emotion he is unafraid to convey. Beyond the music, this quiet, humble celebrity has become my hero. Now, that may sound corny to some people, but it happens to be the truth. I have seen this fine singer-songwriter-musician many times both on and off the stage, and he is extremely appreciative of his fans. He is the nicest man you could ever want to meet. If he sees a disabled person in the crowd, he goes out of his way to make that person feel extra-special. I have seen him do this a number of times when there were no bright lights, cameras, or media people around; unlike too many people in the public eye, he is genuine. With Taylor Hicks, you get what you see. As for me, I hope to see and hear him perform his great music for a very long time to come.

http://www.writeonnewjersey.com/2009/07/fa...h-taylor-hicks/
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341

PostSubject: Re: Face To Face With Taylor Hicks   Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 7:51 am

Another lucky fan that got to meet Taylor, So does anyone think I'll ever get lucky enough to honestly meet the man? I mean I'm not getting any younger here ya know... :(
Back to top Go down
naynaystay71

Female
Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2008-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Face To Face With Taylor Hicks   Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 8:24 am

Don't dispare I never thought I'd get the chance either, but I did and it was worth the wait.
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Face To Face With Taylor Hicks   Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 2:23 pm

Here is the picture from that article
Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Allison-Grooms-and-Taylor-Hicks
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Face To Face With Taylor Hicks   Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 3:07 pm

Is that Allison? She is so incredibly sweet - I'm reall looking forward to meeting her.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Face To Face With Taylor Hicks   Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 10:50 am

What an awesome story. And I have to agree with every word of it. I'd love to meet this person and share experiences.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Face To Face With Taylor Hicks   Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 11:47 am

We will, Sis. I know where she's gonna be at the end of September.......
~tyg
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Face To Face With Taylor Hicks   Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 12:03 pm

WoooHooo, that's so cool!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Face To Face With Taylor Hicks   Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 8:26 am

:) Great article. I had a brief handshake with Taylor the year he won the title but it was pure electricity for me personally. I also have to say I think Taylor is one unique guy who appreciates the fans and always appears gracious as mentioned in this article. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Face To Face With Taylor Hicks   Face To Face With Taylor Hicks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1