Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12 Empty
PostSubject: Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12   Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 1:03 am

Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12 42519 Hard to believe this season of American Idol will be over in two weeks. It is also hard to know who will win this year as most of the contestants have given some pretty strong performances. Tonight is no exception to that for sure.

After the usual repeat scenes, messages, welcoming the judges, Ryan Seacrest and our top 4 we find that our contestants will be doing two themes tonight. The first is roughly called "California Dreaming" with songs involving that state in one way or another. The second theme is songs that our contestants wished they had written. Now for the performances:

Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12 201170 Phil Phillips is up first and I should mention that each contestant will talk about their journey getting to the top four. I won't be covering that angle as we have heard about it so many times already. Phil is singing "Have You Ever Seen The Rain" by Creedence Clearwater Revival. He sang it pretty straight with a few different lyrics to sort of make it his own. I was not totally blown away but did think he sang it fairly well. Steven Tyler with his usual weird wording says "the road to success is always under construction". I think this meant he liked it. Jennifer Lopez liked the Joe Cocker rasp that Phil sang. Randy Jackson thought the beginning was rough but once Phil smiled he was sensational. My grade: B

I think Phil's second song was truly awesome. He sings Damien Rice's "Volcano" and I felt his passion while he sang. The duet with the back-up singer was wonderful in my book. Steven heard the musician and thought it was beautiful. JLo thinks Phil had a poignant moment. Randy felt this was Phil's best performance of the season and I so agree. My grade: A

Hollie Cavanagh is such a good singer but tonight I was not bowled over with either of her performances. Her first song is "Faithfully" by Journey. The first half was just okay for me but the second half sold me on the performance. Steven feels she has bloomed and it was over the top. Jennifer feels she has come so far and has more confidence. Randy thinks she is peaking at the right time. My grade: B+

Sadly Hollie falls short as mention by Steven on her second number which is "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt. It was good I think but not great as the passion just was not there overall. Jennifer agrees with Steven's comments while Randy adds Hollie just did not have a moment with that song. My grade: B

I also was not that excited about Joshua Ledet's attempt at "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban. This is especially true as after hearing Chris Mann sing this same song on The Voice, Joshua just could not live up to it. Not to say it was horrible but I just did not get the spark like I did with Chris. The judges however felt he did a great performance. Come on judges, let's get real. My grade: B

Now there is something to shout about as Joshua gives the performance of the night in my opinion by singing James Brown's "It's A Man's World". Not only did Josh make this his own he gave me chills throughout the song. I loved it! So did the judges who gave him another standing ovation. Steven loved his compassion. JLo felt like she went to church and was so excited by this number. Randy calls it the best performance ever no matter what the reality show. My grade: A+

I loved Jessica Sanchez's first performance of the song "Steal Away" by Etta James. Here this young girl showed her bluesy side and rasp. Steven loved it too. JLo loved the growl and calls her one of the best. Randy really loved the whole vibe of the song. My grade: A

I was not so thrilled with Jessica's second song which was "And I'm Telling You" from the Dreamgirls movie. I honestly think Lakisha Jones from season 6 did this so much better. To my ears Jessica seemed to be screaming the lyrics too much. However the judges again love it by giving her a standing ovation also. Steven calls it a winning performance. Jennifer feels she has a moment while Randy thinks she slayed it. My grade: B

Duets were sang tonight. Phil and Joshua did "This Love" by Maroon 5. I actually liked how they did this number as did the judges. My grade: B+

Hollie and Jessica sang "Eternal Flame" by The Bangles. Randy summed this up the best by calling it strange. I felt it had good and bad moments by each girl. My grade: B-

Loved seeing Adam Shankman and Julliette Hough on the show. It was interesting seeing the mansion that the group is living in plus they also got a sneak peek at the new movie "Rock of Ages" that will be coming out on June 15th. Just from the peek we got I know for sure I want to see this movie.

lol! I wish all the contestants luck but my bottom 2 are Hollie and Jessica. I think Hollie's luck may have run out and she will be eliminated. However this has been kind of a crazy season so anything is possible.

I do look forward to seeing David Cook perform on the results show. JLo will also be performing. I now bid you a good-night and welcome your comments.

Take care all!
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12   Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Still having trouble wrapping my head around Josh. I do love his voice and think he has some mad skills as a singer. Thing of it is, in my opinion, he has a tendency to scream like Fantasia. With that being said.....I have to agree. Chris Mann's performance of "You Raise Me Up" on The Voice was way more compelling. (Congrats to my main man Blake and Jermaine Paul for winning The Voice, BTW)

Love both of Phillips performances but the second one did it for me. Gave me chills listening to him sing Volcano so beautifully.

Personally, I think Hollie will be the one going home on the results show. As far as I'm concerned...she failed to deliver.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12   Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12 Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 3:26 pm

I agree Holly will probably go home. She has a great voice and I feel for her. Because it wasn't her fault. Jimmy told her to tone it down and then when it was time for her to face the judges they tell her she should have put more out there.. poor Holly Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12 3635201530
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12   Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 4 - Two Themes - 5/9/12
Page 1 of 1