Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Empty
PostSubject: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 11:57 am

Another intersting article from this morning, I'm sure Chris doesn't mean anything bad by what he said IF he said it in that way, we all know how undependable these things can be right??
S

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...ate-of-decline/

1/14/08, 11:44 am EST

On the eve of the premiere of the seventh season of American Idol, one of the show’s most famous losers, Chris Daughtry, says that the Idol franchise is starting to lose its luster. “I feel like it’s definitely lacking some credibility at this point,” says Daughtry, who came in fourth place on the 2006 season but went on to sell 3.6 million copies of his debut record and be named one of Nielsen’s top ten selling artists of 2007. “It’s in a state of decline and if they don’t do something about it, it’s probably not gonna last too much longer. I’m sure that’ll be used against me, but that’s the truth, you know?”

Daughtry has some numbers on his side: last year’s “American Idols Live” tour played to 68 percent capacity crowds, while the 2006 version was 96 percent sold out. Three top Idols — Ruben Studdard, Taylor Hicks and Katharine McPhee — have recently lost their record contracts due to poor sales. Ratings also went down one percent last year, marking the first decline in the show’s history. Daughtry blames the show’s woes partially on its emphasis on untalented singers. “People get tired of seeing people that suck,” he says. “It’s funny at first, but come on. They spend three weeks on people that can’t sing, and that’s what they’re banking it on. [They should] find some people that you can really invest in.”

Idol plans on making some minor adjustments this season: contestants will be able to play an instrument in the early rounds and celebrity mentors will be de-emphasized to create more time to tell the contestants back stories. Still, Daughtry, who is currently recording his band’s second album, worries the show faces a more fundamental problem: “After going for so long, who else is out there that still wants to get on the show?” That question, and a host of others, will be answered when the show’s seventh season premieres tomorrow night amid the ongoing Writers Guild strike — it’s a TV climate that experts predict will give Idol a ratings bump.
Back to top Go down
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 1:21 pm

:tsk: I do not know if Chris meant to imply that Taylor, Ruben and Kat "sucked" on that one paragraph but that is how it sounded. Of course the media has a way of making something out of nothing but judging on the many items I have read about Chris I have a feeling he was not trying to be gracious. Underneath it all I think he may be gloating over those losing their contracts.

One thing I did sort of agree on is the audition process is overdone. I would much rather see snippets of that and pay more attention to the Hollywood rounds.

Alot has been said about American Idol losing it's luster after reading the 3 articles you posted here Sandi. Regardless if it is the number 1 show from here on or not so many of the contestants did receive lots of exposure and have new fans who support their efforts whether they won the title or not. It appears that the media talks about the ones with the highest sales the most but several are doing quite well even without the media hype. One idol that comes to mind is Josh Gracin. He gets very little media coverage but seems to be doing well in the country field. I know there are others who have a legion of fans who support their idols on their personal websites.

They sort of made a mistake last year because of all the commotion about Sanjaya rather than focusing on the real talent more. Also alot of focus was on the mentors however I have no problem with that if they incorporate more on the contestants to go along with that. Example of truly good interaction between both was during the weeks that Barry Manilow, Rod Stewart and Bon Jovi were on. They at least tried to give some real good advice to the contestants.

In closing I have no doubt that this show will stay on and do well until the judges end their contracts. I think it would be dumb to separate the 4 main people on the show at this point as it would definitely not be the same. However I do not think any season could ever top Season 5 with all the versatility we saw during that season. And no matter what we all know in spite of everything Taylor was the main reason so many watched that year and voted him the winner. He is still number #1 in my book!

Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” 600701 Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” 322546 Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” 600701 Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” 322546 Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” 600701
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Great Post Concertcris,
Chris said what he thinks and feels but then I guess If I have achieved what he has I'd gloat a little too, maybe, I honestyl think that he and Taylor are friends maybe not so much Kat but I've heard both Chris and Taylor talk and they both comment on the other in good light. That being said I want to believe that this article is just another example of the media taking things out of contact. I also believe that saying something like this could lose fans, because I would like to believe that most people do have a sense of right and wrong and for one person to mock another because they are not doing as well is not right and even as dumb as it sounds I'd like to believe that it would be a turn off for most.

American Idol has a very big advatange this year and that being the writers strike, I believe that their numbers will possible be higher due to that, but I also believe that they have to remember that we are not going to stick around and listen to Simon, Randy or Paula make fun of others like they have in the past, well maybe not so much Paula, and I'm talking about the shows them self not just the auditions. Last year they were beyond mean and nasty during the auditions. I'll watch this year as I'm a fan what can I say, American Idol PTB have to watch what is said, Taylor handled Simon great but just being himself but how much can even Taylor take from them dissing him on the air for no reason. I hope that this year is better and I think their decline last year had a lot to do with Simons behavor, Weather we are old grandma's or young kids voting we are still voting and taylor does have a hugh fan base.

I agree that Sanjaya was the main topic last season and I feel they did that them self, He might not have been the best, kind of like Kevin in Season 5 but they were there for a reason and they got votes enough said, I have no doubt that AI will continue for FOX until the judges leave, It sure wouldn't be the same with even one of them...

I heard that there will fewer mentors and no group rounds in Hollywood week as well. Should be interesting...

Last edited by on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 6:54 pm

What nerve! Hm. I wonder what kind of backlash this might create.
Up to a point, though, he's got something to be said - there isn't as much attraction to the show as his season. And gosh, I sure HOPE they're all good to one another still. The poor sales line pissed me off, though. Anybody else?
~tyg
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 11:08 am

Chris's response to the Rolling Stone Article.

Posted: Tue, Jan 15 2008, 8:59 AM
It's so sad that when you're asked something and you answer honestly....you're made out to be the bad guy. Yes, I'm referring to the Rolling Stone post. The funny thing is, if you heard the whole conversation you would've heard all the good things I said about the show as well. Like for instance: How it's an amazing platform to launch a career....."If you take it seriously!!!!" Let's not forget I was a struggling artist for 11 years that never got any respect or notoriety so know that I'm eternally grateful for the opportunity that Idol gave me. And that's where my comments came from. It all started when the interviewer (who was great by the way) asked me where the "Idol stigma everyone talks about" comes from. Ya know....the reason people never take anyone from the show serious in the real world and why people say "oh they came from AI, they're not real artists." So, I answered that I don't feel that enough "artists" try out for the show because of how many people they focus on that are obviously there for comedic and entertainment value. And when you focus enough on people that aren't serious about it then it's hard for the audience to take you as an artist serious. And it's also hard as a potential contestant to think it's a good way to get seen because you're afraid of being made a joke of. I also said I think it's AWESOME that they are letting the contestants play their own instruments and that I feel that will show something in the contestants that people (the audience) never get to see....but that wasn't printed. My long winded point is this....I was never trying to "DISS" the show or "BITE THE HAND THAT FED ME" so to speak. I was simply giving my input on what I think would spice the show up a bit.
Sorry for being honest. God bless!-Chris
http://www.daughtryofficial.com/node/266860
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 11:31 am

Hm, poor kid. It's rough to be a celebrity at the best of times, because they often spin your words in ways you can't even imagine.
~tyg
Back to top Go down
Angie
Administrator
Angie

Female
Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Poor Chris indeed. Figures they would leave the "positives" out of what he said. It's great that he came back and explained what he really said. The media likes to start things so it's no surprise things were left out.

I love AI and will always watch the show. Season 5 was the best season by far and not just becuase of Taylor...the talent was awesome that season.

With that said...I do wish they would cut the auditions (although I enjoy them somewhat) to just the first night you know. Then concentrate on Hollywood week. After awhile it feels like they get all this air time and it's all "filler."

I know they let them play instruments during Hollywood week, but didn't know about no groups. I wonder if they are going to let them play instruments during competition? I'm guessing not only because it would be kind of unfair to those who don't play.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Idol-Unofficial.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 3:28 pm

I just hope that those that read Chris's response doesn't think he only said it to cover his butt. I think it's unfair to any of these guys to quote or twist what they say in articles like that.

Now for American Idol, I heard there will be only a few mentors this year, no groups during hollywood week and the way I take it, they can only play the instruments during their performances during hollywood week, I could be wrong on that but that's the way I took it..
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Chris Daughtry should be on his knees each and everyday thanking God for AI. If it weren't for AI no one would know who the hell Chris Daughtry is nor would they care.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 1:58 pm

why can i bring up this article?? all i get is a blank page.
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 2:19 pm

I don't know mae, it works for me... Try it again.
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 7:23 pm

this link still doesn't work for me. will someone be so kind as to repost the link so i can read the article. thanks
Back to top Go down
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Ok now I just tried it again and all I got was a blank screen as well. Could they have pulled it or something. I wonder????/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline”   Chris Daughtry: “American Idol” Is “in a State of Decline” Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1