Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?! Empty
PostSubject: Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?!   Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 2:29 pm

This one is actually a little old news, back from the beginning of the month. Taylor Hicks, the winner of the only season of American Idol I've watched, was released from his recording contract. A lot has been made of the fact that Taylor was the first Idol winner that did not sell over a million copies of his post-Idol album. If I remember the numbers right though he sold around 750,000 copies of his album. Now that's still a lot of albums. In today's market there is becoming fewer and fewer artists that can sell a million copies of an album. What ever happened to helping an artist grow and find his fans. If you don't have a blockbuster with the first album you're gone. It used to be a Record Company was in it for the long haul with the artist, they were willing to work with them and try to grow their fan base. John Mellencamp didn't have a hit album until his sixth or seventh (I forget exactly which one) album. Where would he be if they had dropped him after his first album bombed? I said it before when Taylor first came out with his album that I look on him as an artist that will grow, I think that he had more long term potential than a lot of the other Idols that had bigger debut albums and will go on to smaller ones in the long run. I don't think Taylor's first album was the best that could have been put out, I think the Record Company tried to over produce him. Taylor says he's still going to record, now he'll do it on his own, so maybe this is for the best. Without a Big Boss telling him how to record he can do it his own way.
http://altjirangamitjina.blogspot.com/2008/01/sell-34-of-million-records-and-youre.html
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?!   Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 10:52 am

Great Article, Thanks Jodi, I hadn't seen that one. A lot of these guys are coming out with their second and third album now this coming year and it will be interesting to see if they can keep the numberes they had on the first one. Except for Kelly and Carrie who have done great on the 2nd the rest will have to be letter perfect and it will have to be a super great album, Where Taylor might not have made the 1 million, to me that means he'll do even better with the 2nd .. Ok did that make any sense??
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?!   Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Jason Aldean is one of the biggest new country artist and his first cd didn't break one million. Or so i have heard.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
Angie
Administrator
Angie

Female
Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?!   Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Great article! It's so true. You can't judge an artist by their first CD...at least someone who has been on American Idol who has been told what they can and cannot put on their debut CD.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Idol-Unofficial.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?!   Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sell 3/4 OF A Million Records and You're A Failure?!
Page 1 of 1