Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Stars rock Capital City

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Stars rock Capital City Empty
PostSubject: Stars rock Capital City   Stars rock Capital City Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 5:57 pm

The stars didn't just fall on Alabama -- they thundered in.

From the “live jukebox“ of classic and contemporary songs performed by some of the state’s most decorated musicians to the pre- and post-party gatherings that rivaled some of Hollywood’s best, the 2008 Alabama Music Hall of Fame was a showstopper — and that was before the first performer took the stage.

Held at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center, Friday’s ceremony was a first for the Capital City. Hundreds came from around the state and beyond to help induct Montgomery native Tommie Shaw, Donnie Fritts, Ernie Ashworth, Cleveland Eaton and the late Boyd Bennett into the hall as well as a few songwriters and industry pioneers.

The new members are in good company, joining music legends such as W.C. Handy, “the father of the blues;” the “queen of the blues,” Dinah Washington; and the man often acknowledged as “the father of country music,” Jimmie Rodgers, said Alabama Music Hall of Fame board member Ralph Burke. Then, there’s Sam Phillips, known as “the father of rock¤’n’ roll.”

What they have in common is that they are all Alabama natives.

So it was only appropriate that former Alabama frontman Randy Owen served as emcee for the ceremony.

Though the more-than three hour show got off to a late start, once it began, many in the audience got up out of their seats and stood — and danced — the whole time. A few lucky ladies even joined Montgomery native and 2003 Alabama Hall of Fame inductee Eddie Floyd on stage for his defining soul hit “Knock on Wood.”

Owen, on the other hand, brought many in the audience to tears when he performed for the first time his new song, “Braid My Hair.” The song, to be included on Owen’s upcoming solo album, is told from the perspective of a little girl who is ill. Owen said he received the song after two songwriters sent it to his mother and was so moved that he immediately decided to record it.

Montgomery native Clarence Carter nearly brought down the house when he took to the stage to perform his bawdy 1986 classic, “Strokin’.”

But many of the highlights of the day came before the ceremony. Inductees and performers spent much of the afternoon talking to reporters from around the state as part of a press junket. In between interviews, they signed programs, posters and CDs for autograph seekers and taped public service announcements for groups such as the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind.

Singer-songwriter/actor Kris Kristofferson and his buddy of 40 years, 2008 Alabama Music Hall of Fame inductee Donnie Fritts, left reporters in stitches as they laughed through take after take of a congratulatory message they filmed for the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind’s 150th anniversary. Kristofferson turned down a movie project to support his friend and perform for the crowd.

“Did we get it this time?” Kristofferson said, winking at the videographer after one of the many takes.

“I sure hope so,“ Fritts laughed.

American Idol and 2008 America’s Music Award honoree Taylor Hicks also stopped by to record a greeting for the AIDB, capping it off with his signature head jerk and “Woo, Soul Patrol!”

Hicks followers like Rhonda Huffman of Montgomery were out in full force.

“I am a Soul Patrol member, which means I’m a BIG Taylor Hicks fan. He has the voice of an angel, and he’s a non-stop entertainer,” she said. “His performance always knocks it right out of the park, and it’s great that he’s from Alabama, too.”

Montgomery native and 2008 inductee Tommy Shaw revealed that while he was excited about joining the illustrious group of singers, songwriters and industry giants who have contributed to Alabama’s rich music legacy, the best thing about his homecoming was getting a slice of his mom’s pecan pie.

“When you’re from the South, if there’s pecan pie you get it,” he said, adding he was thrilled to return home for such an honor.

Shaw played in a number of local bands before joining Styx at the end of 1975. Since then, he has done a lot of solo work, played with Damn Yankees and created Shaw Blades with fellow Damn Yankees member Jack Blades.

And he was not the only one who was happy about coming home. The “Golden Voice of Soul,” Percy Sledge, said that while he’s been to all four corners of the globe, “there’s nothing like Alabama.”

He even treated a few fans to a preview of the song he was going to sing for the night, his signature hit, “When A Man Loves A Woman.” He followed it with a smile and thanked them for their support.

“It’s the most wonderful feeling to be back in Alabama,” he said.

Sledge was one of the artists Sarah Gilmer of Montgomery, who was lucky enough to score one of the $60 gallery tickets for the induction/performance tribute portion of the ceremony, looked forward to hearing most. She said “When A Man Loves A Woman” takes her “back to those great old days.”

And when singer/songwriter/actor Kris Kristofferson walked by her on the red carpet and said “Hello,” Gilmer said, “I thought I would faint right away when I saw him.”

Kristofferson donned a long black coat, a popular color choice for many of the celebrants who gathered for a reception in front of the banquet hall before the celebration began. But in a sea of black, what turned heads the most was the pop of purple. There were shades of lavender, eggplant, violet and royal purple all over the place.

“Purple is definitely the color of the night,“ said style commentator Perry Varner, creator of the DenHIM/DenHER Collection.

As partygoers stepped into the exclusive reception area (the carpet itself was a multi-colored arabesque print) the looks ran the fashion gamut, from beaded ball gowns to classic cocktail dresses to understated pants suits accented by a hint of sparkle in a jacket.

Inductee Ernie Ainsworth sauntered in and instantly became the center of attention with his baby-blue suit accented with multiple lip-print appliques, all lined in rhinestones. Folks lined up to have their snapshot taken with the snazzy, smiling musician. Kevin Sinclair, the “voice of Alabama State” put together an individualized yet still formal look, in all black — including his shirt — accented with a bolo and pendant in place of a bow tie.

Following the reception, the inductees, performers and celebrants were treated to an elegant dinner, featuring iceberg lettuce with roasted red pepper, pimento, kalamata olives and a raspberry vinaigrette dressing; bone-in ribeye steak, brushed with a red wine semi-glace and a mashed potato blend paired with vegetables.

To their delight, the meal was capped off with a white chocolate piano embellished with an edible Alabama Music Hall of Fame logo and topped with fresh berries on a bed of pastry cream.

Then, it was time to get the party started.

The crowd leapt to its feet when Percy Sledge belted out “When a Man Loves A
Woman,” finishing off the last note on bended knee.

Montgomerian Beth Nielsen Chapman, on the other hand, brought the crowd to tears when she sung her poignant ballad, “Sand and Water,“ a 1997 release that dealt with the loss of her husband (who died in 1994). Elton John later sang the song as part of his tribute to Princess Diana.

Chapman also joined fellow songwriters Fritts, Walt Aldridge and Chris Tompkins. They performed a collection of the groups’ numerous hits, beginning with a rendition of Fritts’ pop classic, “We Had It All,” which has been recorded by The Rolling Stones, Tina Turner and — most rewarding to Fritts — Ray Charles, in 1978.

“That was my biggest thrill,” said Fritts of Charles’ recording of his song.

The group, with Fritts and Aldridge on keyboards and Tompkins and Chapman on guitars, then played Chapman’s hit “This Kiss,” made famous in the ’90s by Mary Chapin Carpenter.

“This song put my son through college,” Chapman said.

For the audience, these performances were just a few of the many memorable moments during this once-in-a-lifetime event. 

—Reporters Teri Greene, Robyn Bradley Litchfield and Ken Mullinax contributed to this story.
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080223/NEWS/802230336/1001
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Stars rock Capital City   Stars rock Capital City Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 9:10 am

woo hoo Sounds like it was a great event and isn't it wonderful our Taylor was part of it. Damn, sure wish I could have been there. Besides seeing Taylor I would have loved to see Percy Sledge. I forgot that Tommy Shaw was part of the band Styx. I just loved their song "Babe". I also really dig listening to Kris Kristofferson's voice when he talks. He was not much of a singer but definitely a very good actor and songwriter. Not sure if you remember he is the one who wrote Janis Joplin's "Me & Bobby McGee".

🎶 Anyway, I am green with envy that I could not be there! Thanks for posting this Jodi.
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Stars rock Capital City   Stars rock Capital City Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 8:03 pm

I saw STYX at the Endymion Extravaganza and they looked and sounded woonderfully. I didn't have a clue Tommy was from Alabama, but it explains the mini-crush I have had a while rather handily. I was there in my heart, and I think Tay had enough fun for ten people. Any time that can happen is a damn fine time!
~tyg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stars rock Capital City   Stars rock Capital City Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stars rock Capital City
Page 1 of 1