Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front PageFront Page  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Due to lack of activity I have chosen to close this forum thank-you for the ride it was a blast when it was here. DreamHrt

Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08

Go down 
+2
Taysiah
concertcris
6 posters
AuthorMessage
concertcris

concertcris

Female
Number of posts : 2386
Registration date : 2007-09-24

Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Empty
PostSubject: Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08   Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 12:42 am

:welcome1: everyone to another rip-roaring night of Beatle music however tonight's performances left a lot to be desired mainly because of song choice. Let me clarify that last week was the songbook of Lennon and McCartney however tonight is the actual music the Beatles performed. I say, whatever because to me all the music seems like the music of the Beatles. Now on to the show.

hello Ryan welcomes us to the show by letting us know they brought the talent but we call the shots. Oh really? We are informed that the audience has 500 people and then our contestants are brought onto the stage. After they leave the stage we then have our intro to the judges: Randy in blue and yawning, Paula looking great in glittery black and of course our Simon in his usual white t-shirt. Randy once again plugs Paula's song. Also we see a sign in the audience that says "Simon Is Sexy". One good question that was asked by Ryan to Simon was if he felt the vote was based on talent or popularity and of course Simon responded that it was 50/50 which I think is so true.

🎶 Our next segment tells of the popularity and endurance the Beatles had during their reign when they first hit the U. S. in 1964. I have to admit that I was so infatuated with them seeing them that first night on the Ed Sullivan Show. I became an instant devotee as did the other 73 million viewers who watched the show. They had the top 5 spots on the Billboard charts and for the first time sold out the 55,000 seat arena of Shea Stadium. Quite an accomplishment I would say. It was indeed a grand time in my life I can tell you but enough of this, let's get to the performances.

🍌 Our rocker chick Amanda Overmeyer is singing "Back In The U.S.S.R. off The White Album. Once again the stage presence is good and she looks hot in her jeans and vest. Vocally, I thought it was good but predictable as Simon mentions. Randy thought there were some pitch problems and Paula would like her to sing a ballad which Amanda thinks are boring as she mentions after the critiques. I personally would love to hear a real torchy ballad from this girl but that may not be in the cards. My grade: B

:surprised: Kristy Lee Cook is up next and I like her dress. For once she actually sings in a decent voice but the problem was she was so un-emotional singing the song. Doing "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" from the Help album I at least expected her to connect with the song but she never did. Randy thought it was boring, Paula called it a safe choice but Simon laid it on the line by saying she was not a good performer and more like musical wallpaper. My grade: C

👶 Our young David Archuleta is singing "The Long and Winding Road" from the Let It Be album and I must say I loved it. He sounded so good I could just imagine listening to his voice for hours. Obviously the audience and the judges agreed with Simon actually saying he was amazing and clapping for him. What a difference from last week. My grade: A+

Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 201170 Okay I am sort of torn by the next performer. Michael Johns picks the difficult song "A Day In The Life" from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The difficulty lies in the fact that this song is about 5 or 6 minutes long and to bring it down to one and a half minutes is hard. He started out singing quite good I thought then he hits an off-note and it was all down hill from there. None of the judges liked it with Simon calling it a mess. Where I am torn is knowing this was a tribute song to a friend of his who died but all in all it was not very good. My grade: C

Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 957205 Brooke White looked like a rag mop to me with the messed-up hair and her yellow dress. She is singing "Here Comes The Sun" off the Abbey Road album. Talk about looking awkward. The vocal started out okay but then she stands and does a twirl with a high note and from then on the vocal was not too good. None of the judges liked it and I have to agree. My grade: C

Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 924272 Here is David Cook doing "Day Tripper" off the Rubber Soul album and he sounds great I think. I loved the guitar also. He is really getting my vote then he makes a mistake I thought and plays the voice box. It totally took away from the song for me. Both Randy and Simon were not impressed but Paula liked it. I have to say my grade is based solely on his vocals and guitar playing. Leave the voice box at home David. My grade: B+

🤷 Terrible song choice I thought as Carly Smithson is doing "Blackbird" also from The White Album. I also do not care for the baby doll pajama top. Her vocals sound good although I thought I heard a sharp note here and there. Randy and Paula thought it was great but Simon did not like it. I personally would have preferred her to sing something else. My grade: B

Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 76735 Okay a lot has been said about Amanda sounding the same every week and personally I think that applies more to our next singer. Jason Castro is singing "Michelle" from the Rubber Soul album. Before any of the judges said anything I had written down he performed this song like a robot with no connection to the lyrics. Surprisely Randy sort of mentions this. Paula thought it was too sing-songy like a polka. Simon thinks Jason is charming and that part is true but just listening to the vocal it was not very good. I did not like it at all. My grade: C-

wiggle Syesha Mercado is looking quite beautiful tonight in her green dress. She is singing "Yesterday" from the Help album. I felt there were good and bad parts to this number. The judges all liked it overall and frankly I thought it was good but not great however she really showed a lot of emotion singing which is why I am grading her as I am. My grade: B

clap You have to give Chikezie Eze his props for doing something different. He is singing a song I actually do not remember called "I've Just Seen A Face" from the Help album. He starts off sounding great as a ballad and then plays the harmonica and turns the song into another bluegrass-type vibe. I liked it overall although I thought he was better last week. Randy thought it was okay, Paula liked it but Simon hated the changes with the harp. My grade: B+

😕 Our Ramiele Malubay is our last performer and she happens to be singing my all-time favorite song by the Beatles entitled "I Should Have Known Better" from the Hard Days Night album. She shows us a very cute personality and stage presence however the vocal was off-key in parts and overall not very good. Paula and Randy kind of liked it but Simon didn't. I thought some parts were okay but nothing to write home about. My grade: C

Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 468517 So our part 2 of The Beatles is over and frankly I wish they had chosen better songs to sing. My top favorite of the night is David Archuleta with David Cook in my second position.

My bottom group consists of Michael Johns, Ramiele Malubay, Jason Castro, Brooke White and Kristy Lee Cook. Who's leaving, good question but my vote is going to either Ramiele or Kristy.

What do you think?

Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 296366
Back to top Go down
Taysiah

Taysiah

Female
Number of posts : 2304
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08   Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 12:53 am

hopefully micheal johns will be leaving
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/blowing_harp
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female
Number of posts : 4469
Registration date : 2007-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08   Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 11:12 am

Gotta agree with your top two choices, cc. I loved David A's vocals on his song choice and David C rocked with Day Tripper. The voice box thing did throw me off some. He really doesn't need anything like that for his performances.

I liked Amanda's performance too. She is getting better and better each week in my opinion. I think it would be nice to hear her sing a ballad or two. She definately has the voice for it.

I picked Brooke White, Kristy Lee Cook, Jason Castro and Michael Johns for the bottom of the list.

Off topic here for a second....cc, I found some Tracy Chapman cds in a local music store. Bought her cd, New Beginning which has that song track, Give Me One Reason. Thanks for your help on finding it. I just love this song.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.azsoul.com
wietzema
Super Mod
Super Mod
wietzema

Female
Number of posts : 2341
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08   Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 2:19 pm

I can only hope that it's Kristi, first I'm not a country music listener and second she really should have been gone last week, Granted her performance last night was lots better than last week but for me still not good. But in all honesty, I didn't think any of them did top notch last night, Brooke was the same as always to me, as were Jason, Micheal, and the rest, I know I'm still a little bitter that David H is gone but I really have to agree with Simon that doing a Beatles week again was not a real good idea, I did get a kick out of how the only one that Randy thought did really good was Carly go figure. I have yet to hear him say anything slightly bad about her, JMO I think others are starting to notice it as well..

I think any of them could go tonight.

Thanks CC for the review
Back to top Go down
tygrlllie
Administrator
tygrlllie

Female
Number of posts : 2330
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08   Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Hmmm....Well, haven't seen it yet, but the majority seems to go with Kristy. I guess I'm with the majority. I just have yet to feel anything when she sings, but somehow that translates well to record sales, huh?
~tyg
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08   Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 10:18 pm

Kristy Lee has no stage personality. I don't get into the music she sings. Same could be said of Brooke. Guess it's just me.
Back to top Go down
DreamHrt
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2007-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08   Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 7:33 pm

Okay keeping it real here.. this is how it should have been done
Taylor Hicks - N. Charleston Colliseum 6/30/07
Back to top Go down
http://TaylorHicks.soulsboard.com
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08   Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 9:35 pm

Amen, Jodie. Thanks for sharing that. It's definately how to do it.

I don't know all the names so I ask this question...Who is the adorable guy on keyboards? He so cute.!
Back to top Go down
azsoul
Super Mod
Super Mod
azsoul

Female

PostSubject: Re: Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08   Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 10:28 pm

I have to admit I wasn't all that impressed with this week's performances either. I've been a big fan of "the Davids" since the top 12 were chosen. Heartbroken as I was that David H got the boot I crossed my fingers that David A and David C make it through. They did and I was relieved.

After seeing David H and Amanda get voted off I really wonder want American thinks is talent. I mean, they were right on in season five when Taylor won so what's up?

My favorite parts of last night was Ryan talking about what happened to the money generated by last years Idol Give Back. To see Fantasia and Elliott was heartwarming, especially when Elliott got all mushy about becoming a God Father. I admit, I cried too.

Then there was Kellie Pickler's performance. I wasn't too impressed with her during season five but I've noticed I'm warming up to her lately. I liked her song Red High Heels. She had a slightly Dolly Parton style in the song that I thought made it fun to listen too.

As far as the contestants, they were...OK. David A still got my vote as well as David C mainly because most of the talent in this season has been voted off. Who would've thought?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08   Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beatles Night - Part 2 - 3/18/08
Page 1 of 1